New car technology

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Jun 20, 2016.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Man o man, the new cars have so much radar technology built in these days , Its hard to keep up with all of it.

Hey I don't even own a BMW , Mercedes, Caddy .

I forgot that my new Mazda CX5 had accident avoidance. hmmmm
    I come flying into the driveway yesterday, push the programmed button(radar) on the rearview mirror to open the garage door, great...it will open it from a 1/4 mile away,

But, I opened it a little late yesterday and approached the garage a little too fast , before the door was all the way up.:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That sucker slammed on the brakes about 10 ft from the garage(radar)...well I almost crapped my britches.. It took me a full minute or so to realize what happened...jeeeeez. First time ya know,
    Now I slowly approach the garage.:cool:

This thing will also slow you down to traffic around you, if cruise is on, when you approach a car , or a car pulls over in front of you (radar).

It tells me when there is a car in either blind spot ,right or left side.(radar) and give a loud warning if you turn the turn signal on when there is a car in that blind spot( radar).

I'm sure other is other STUFF I'm not even aware of.:eek::eek::confused::rolleyes:

I think I'm gonna start pushing the button on the mirror , every time I see a Cop shooting his radar, just to play with him.:D

Soon we will just get in and give a ,verbal, destination, and sit back and relax.
    Oh yeah, I verbally tell mine to change radio stations all the time...:cool:

Jim

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Modern technology........but the way I look at it,the more stuff a car has,the more that can break,I prefer the simple ones.;)

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

The gadgets on the cars are really neat anymore with the backing up image, radios, GPS and all the other stuff that monitors your cars and how they are functioning. But at some time, they are going to wear out and how much does it cost to get it fixed? The newest car I own is a 79 Lincoln and it still has a carb, electronic ignition, fully loaded and room enough under the hood that I don't have to be a contortionist to change out the spark plugs. There is plenty of room under the hood and in the trunk. I have no desire to own anything any newer than. I don't have to have mine smogged every 2 years. In Az, if you own classic car insurance, you don't have to smog your vehicle. My other 2 vehicles are Ford Model A's and they have nothing at all for modern conveniences. Just start them up and drive.

Tommy

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, I'm kinda an old style guy too,

The REAL reason I bought a new one is I'm old and cant turn them wrenches anymore.
    Don't forget this aint a Luxury BMW/Mercedes...its a Mazda family car.

This one I bought because of my bad back,
    it has a high stance for entering and exiting,
    its roomy interior, fuel economy (32 mpg avg) and the awesome Mazda performance handling....

All the other stuff just came with it.;):)

One thing that really is nice ,because of my screwed up right hand, is the auto wipers , they turn on when water hits the windshield.
    If its drizzling they work just right, if its pouring they work just right.
    I never have to fumble/fool around with the wiper settings.

With a defective right hand, the rearview mirror has a sensor that shuts down bright lights behind you , without me trying to adjust it...cool

My neck and back is shot ,so that rear camera is a big plus.

The Bluetooth phone system thru the sound system is a big help also,....get a call , push a little button on the steering wheel and answer a call and talk...
    You can imagine how that helps , when your right hand is useless.

Yeah, eventually something will break, but most of the electronics today are pretty well proven reliable for many years.

Just last week I had my wifi chest implant checked , after being in 2 years, they said the battery is good for at least 10 more years, maybe longer.

Ill be worm food before it wears out.:D

Jim

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  5. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Jim, just be careful when you wash your windshield. If you forget to turn off the auto wipe, them wiper blades will eat your hands. Ask me how I know...

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,

I am like you. My back is a mess and I can't turn to the left or right to check on whether or not it's the right time to change lanes. I am constantly looking at all 3 of my mirrors. Same when I go to a car show. I have to have a ground guide to help me back up correctly so I don't take up too much space. My Lincoln is 19 1/2 feet long so I really have to be careful in traffic and especially at car shows as I don't want to bump into anyone else who has a classic or hot rod, nor do I want to take up too much space. And as for stance, the seat is back on my car and I can tilt the seat backwards which really helps in getting in and out plus comfortable long distance driving. In my Model A's, I only go short distances as the cabs are not real big. Men were a lot shorter back then.

Tommy

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy with all the new bells and whistles except adaptive cruise. Absolutely hate it. I guess overall they may save accidents, but in my experience they have cost me more money. Car swoops in front of our truck, the truck brakes hard enough to through the second driver out of the sleeper bunk. Broken arm. Another event, car swoops in front of truck, brakes apply, resulting in a jacknife. In both cases the car kept going, but in both cases the accident event recorder captured the actions of the car and we were able to recover damages from the vehicle owner.

I will admit though I get a kick when one of our trucks is called in on.

Your truck is tailgating me.

No, it's not.

Yes he is, and I'm doing 75 miles an hour just to stay out of his way.

Sir, our truck is traveling 68 miles per hour right now.

And how do you know?

Let's see, you are driving the blue pickup and you waving your hand out the window making gestures?

You can see that.

Yes.

Click!

But if you really want to see something scary, look at the driverless vehicles. They have a laser on the roof that reads the surrounding area. Spooky how they can maneuver!

8. havasu

havasu In the army now..

The new Tesla's can drive themselves, but you still need to be in the driver's seat.

Regarding the adaptive cruise control. I purchased a new Toyota Avalon a few years ago. I was all alone out in the desert, headed for my lake house, and went through a pretty big rain squall. The rain hitting the laser caused my car to slam on the brakes from 80 MPH, and it scared the crap out of me. I sure hope the new cars have a way to protect from that.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

If that happened to me I would still be cleaning out my drawers. Shouldn't the car come to a gradual stop or give some kind of warning that a stop is imminent?

Tommy

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Some of this new technology scare the you know what out of me. How in the world a car can park itself is beyond me. The thought of the automatic braking having a malfunction bothers me big time.
    I heard of a guy that bought a new Corvette and was driving around 70 mph when all of a sudden the car started doing 360* donuts on him. He had it towed to the dealer because he was to scared of it after that. Supposedly the car went from several GM shops over period of 6 months and they never did say what happened.
    I was thinking could have been combination of abs braking and traction control. I know I wouldn't drive it again if it was mine.

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

None of my personal vehicles have that stuff on them, so I'm speaking about commercial vehicles here.

They do usually give warnings. The also usually brake gradually. The closer you get, the harder they brake. If another vehicle cuts in front of you, they will break hard.

Our trucks have predictive analytics. They will tell you they are about to break down before they break down. The trucks also email. For example, I had one earlier this week email me and tell me it was running 221°

They have accident event recorders and critical event recorders. If a g force is exerted, it will send a log of what it was doing 5 minutes before and 2 minutes after the event. Gives an account every second. It also captures video of what happens around the vehicle.

An event happened yesterday. A driver was called in on. The individual stated that our driver sped up and "closed the gap" and tailgated another truck preventing him from changing lanes and causing him to miss his exit. I had my associate look up the data. Our unit had the cruise engaged, was running a steady 66 mph, and was following the leading vehicle at a 6 second interval and was traveling in the right lane. Doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Of course it tells if the driver was wrong also but 90% of the time the electronics exonerate the dri.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

^ ^

The complaining driver was not admitting PPP (Pi Po Planning)? I am shocked.

:D