New Blackhawk Range Day

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by JeffB, Aug 25, 2020.

1. JeffB

JeffB New Member

[Hmmm. Not a lot of traffic here]

Posted here and elsewhere

In another thread I've recounted the acquisition of a New Model Blackhawk .45 Colt 5-1/2" barrel. Well we went to the range today. Keep in mind this isn't my first .45, having been a 1911 guy for many years. This is the first .45 that goes round and around, instead of vertical ;-}
    Impressions: loading reminds me of what it'd be like putting torpedoes into the launch tube. Big fat flat noses just dropping into the chambers with a thunk. Very satisfying.
    Trigger is plenty crisp. Surprise break. I remember now why I've always liked adjustable sights. Not just being able to move them, but the very clear, distinct sight picture.
    I shot 40 of my first 60 HSM 255gr RNFP. Unnecessary, but since I had multiples of 5 I did the "load 1, skip 1, load 4, hammer back and down" thing. Factory sight settings were about perfect east and west (windage), but about 5" high at 25 yards. Finally got the sights cranked in with a 6 o'clock hold.
    Weighing at about 2-1/2 pounds, the recoil looked ferocious on video but is surprisingly comfortable. The fugly black checkered plastic grips are more comfortable than I expected. They still have to go.
    So. It's on paper, where I want it, minute of thoracic accurate with that load. Last 5 rounds were at a steel gong at 100 yards, maybe 20 inches in diameter. Judging by the hits in the berm behind, I was this >< close
    Final impression: I had a ball with this thing. Gotta get the reloading equipment soon.

-jb, shooting 45 because there's no 46 (yeah, I know ...)

rugertoter likes this.
  2. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry New Member

I have the Blackhawk Bisley with 7 1/2" barrel. Stock as a door knob save a spring kit. I have not shot much factory ammo in the gun. My gun, which is typical, responds well to reloading. Try to shoot a rapid fire match with two five round relays at 10 seconds each. It's doable. Guns are made like a tanks. I also cast my own bullets. I can't afford to shoot factory ammo.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020

3. robmkivseries70

robmkivseries70 New Member

Oh my, I'll have to get my .45 Redhawk out and play.

4. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

My brother has the Vaquero in .45 Colt, and it is really fun to shoot. He also has a Marlin lever gun in the same caliber, and takes deer with it, just about every years.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Blackhawks! I'm a fan. Never had a .45.
    Had a .44 Mag, still have a 22LR / 22Mag and have had several .357's. Here is my Flat Top Convertible...
    DSCN2676.JPG

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

True that.

7. 0311

0311 Member

Nice looking revolver there! Love the stainless blackhawks!