New Blackhawk 357

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by chiefafd1, Jan 29, 2017.

1. chiefafd1

chiefafd1 New Member

What could be the problem if the cylinder does not index when loading and unloading. The cylinder does not line up with the ejection rod. You need to free float the cyl. to get it to line up in the loading gate, It is new and am in the process of sending it back to Ruger.:confused:

2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Wait, there may not be anything wrong with it.

With the loading gate open, you 'roll' the cylinder clockwise.
    Then roll it back in a counterclockwise direction. It stops at a point where you can not eject. Yes?

In order to eject/load you have to 'know' where to stop rotating the cylinder so you can eject. Yes?

There is no catch, stop or notch where you can eject or load. Yes?

If you answered yes to all three of the above, that's the way a Blackhawk works. ;)

:usa:

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^^that's the way my Blackhawk works and how they're supposed to.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

They have been this way since they stopped making the three screws. That is why I haven't modified my Ruger 45 Colt three screw.:)

5. chiefafd1

chiefafd1 New Member

Well see that's the problem when you rotate the cylinder clock wise none of the holes line in the loading gate so you can't load or unload, it stops off center.

6. chiefafd1

chiefafd1 New Member

The manual states that the new ones have the cylinder stops that line up with the ejector rod for easier loading and unloading.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Oops. I have a new-last-year BH that doesn't stop rotating clockwise. I wonder when they changed it. To the, um, improved version, eh?

Well, you can always remove the cylinder, load it, and then reinstall it. Maybe it's a 'safety' feature.

Sorry chief, I know it ain't really funny.

:duck:

8. chiefafd1

chiefafd1 New Member

I talked with the factory and they want the gun back. It was built in November 2016. They did not say what was wrong.

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

OH NO!
    Don't tell me they fixed something that wasn't broke!!! :mad:
    Oh, .... I think that is what you just told us. So of course there is a glitch in the ahhh.. fix.

chiefafd1,
    Please keep us informed on what Ruger does with it and how this new cylinder stop works.
    This is the first I've heard of it.

Hey Blkhawk73,
    Do you know anything about this?

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Chief,

You will receive a report explaining what was wrong, what they did to fix it and a list of parts. Put that paper in the box you got it in for future reference and documentation. I have had to send 2 of my SR1911's back to Prescott and they returned it within a week with all the repair work. I simply put them in the box that it was in when I bought the pistols. They will also include the name of the repair man. Good to know sometimes.

Tommy

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Thanks for posting the question. The change to the Blackhawk was apparently unknown to any of us. Assuming that you are sore at me, I was not making fun of you, but of Ruger.

:oops:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2017
  12. chiefafd1

chiefafd1 New Member

The New Blackhawk was just set up that way since the October manufactured date. Most shooters do not like the indexing on the cylinder but I do.
    I will accept your "apology" but in the future please do some research before you belittle someone.

13. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Thread cleaned up.
    If we can't keep it civil this thread will be closed.
    Thanks

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Found on the Ruger web page:

"Patented reverse indexing pawl allows for easier loading and unloading, while the traditional beveled cylinder simplifies holstering".
    It's on the Vaquero. They have a closeup pic of it.

No mention of it being on the Blackhawk though.

If new Blackhawks have it then Ruger hasn't updated the page to include the Blackhawk yet.
    From what little research I did, seems like the Vaquero may have had it for a while now....

:GadsdenFlag:

15. chiefafd1

chiefafd1 New Member

Well VTHILLMAN and the rest of the group I owe you all a big apology. I received a call from a Ruger gunsmith that the manual I got with the firearm was the wrong one. He was very apologetic and was going take the gun apart and smooth it out and do a TRIGGER JOB. Wow wow. He said he has worked for Ruger for 20 years on single actions and said I will have it back next week. SORRY GUYS

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

Last year I bought a Blackhawk in 44 Special It has the up date .

17. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

:threadbump::

chiefafd1,

Did Ruger get your revolver straightened out?

Is the gun a New Model Blackhawk or a Vaquero?

Does it have the reverse indexing pawl?

:usa:

18. chiefafd1

chiefafd1 New Member

Hi Guys I received it back the next week and the smith smoothed it out and did a trigger job. The cylinder does NOT index. He did send me the wright manual that says you float the cylinder to load and unload. Live and learn .

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Thanks for the update.
    I've been shooting my 6.5" barrel New Model Blackhawk for close to 40 years now.
    I expect it will out-last me......

Attached Files:

20. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I didn't know a manual was needed for this operation. Thanks for clearing that "problem" up!