NEw 22/45 issue??

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by badds, Feb 8, 2016.

1. badds

badds New Member

Hello Everyone!! New to the forum and gun ownership in general. I just purchased a 22/5 lite last week to practice/plink with. Will be taking my CCW course at the end of the month and am planning on buying another pistol strictly for that. But anyway, took the pistol out to the range this weekend and fed a few hundred rounds through it. Everything went well for the most part. Had 1 FTF and a 3 FTE/FTLoad? with CCI Minimag. With this being brand new, I haven't stripped it down yet will do so at some point soon. But I just wanted to check to see if this is just a "it needs to broken in issue" or should I have it looked at. With those few rounds that I think failed to eject, it would end up jamming the next round up in the corner of the chamber and leave the action partially cocked open. So I just locked it open, safety, and removed mag and the stuck round would fall out. Not sure what else I could do with it at the time. Is this just a normal thing and continue to break it in?

Thanks for you help and I look forward to getting to know this community better in the time to come!! :Cooltu::)

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk,

Thanks for joining

That's a good intro, so I moved your first post to Introductions,

Jim

3. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Welcome to the forum, Mon! Enjoy yourself. We love pictures.

4. badds

badds New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have a lot to learn, but am enjoying the process. Also, thank you for any advice regarding my question that I had posted above, anything ideas would be helpful. Also, I will try to post a pic soon, its still stock..... probably not for long :D

5. phideaux

I would disassemble, give it a thorough cleaning, and then try a few different brands of ammo, Federal, Remington, Winchester, etc.

I'm betting a good cleaning will solve your problem.

I clean every gun before shooting, especially new ones...that gunky stuff they ship them with is yucky.:);)

Jim

6. badds

badds New Member

Awesome. I was going to put a couple hundred more rounds through it then give it a good scrub down. What products do you all recommend for cleaning/wiping/polishing? Someone had expressed to me to try CLP? Im not sure which way to go. I just want to be able to take care of it and keep it reliable. Not looking forward to having to strip it down for the first time :eek:. Thanks!

7. mark

mark Member

badds.
    Try some different ammo. I have aSR22 that screws up with Federal Match Target, but shoots Remington HPs great. Today I was trying to shoot Remington HPs in a Mark ! target model, no go. Wouldn't feed.
    Federal Match Trarget Federal ran through perfect.
    Many times a problem with a semi-auto can be cured with different ammo. Even different lots of ammo of the same brand can change on you.

8. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

Welcome from Derby City KY.

9. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome! We're happy you've joined us!
    I agree with the others. Try several different ammo's. Maybe your gun needs a hotter round to break it in. Or maybe it doesn't like certain primers. You never know. There's a lot of different the heat play. Also get a good 500 rounds down range to get it broken in some. Then reevaluate it. :) Good luck and keep us posted!

10. mark

mark Member

In a couple of days I should have a new 22/45 NRA. I guess I will get to learn all about the operation of the 22/45> I am ready. About a month ago I proclaimed to wife I had every thing I wanted. This maked 3 guns since then. I should have known better,

11. phideaux

^^^ Welcome to the world of gun addiction...:Cooltu:

Its hard to break.
    :dizzy:

Jim

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome badds, :tiphat:
    I don't own one of those pistols but a good clean and lube is in order for any new gun.

13. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member