new 10/22 light primer strikes

Discussion in 'Ruger 10/22' started by bhale187, May 26, 2013.

1. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

I took out the new 10/22 takedown this weekend and I was getting light primer strikes. I tried blazer bulk, Remington golden, cci mini-mag, federal bulk, and a couple other mixed bags of odd ammo. Every brand got light strikes, so light that they barely left a tiny dent.

It started at about every other round and slowly reduced the rate until I got to about 1 in 10 that was a light strike. It was well oiled, and this was the first time out.

Any suggestions of what to look for when I tear it down beyond burs on the pin or in the channel?

2. giturgun

giturgun New Member

Yeah I had that problem on 1 . I will try to explain it . The shroud that covers the rim on the bolt was to long, probably the recess for the rims was machined to deep.
    I found it by turning the rifle upside down ( pointed in a safe direction of course) no mag inserted, but a bullet in the chamber. The way to check is by taking a thin tool and checking for play forward and backward of the bullet with the bolt closed . This can be done with the safety on. I would recommend a gunsmith do the fix , but I done my own. But I do almost all my own work , no matter what it is. The CCI mini mags worked better in mine I discovered their rim was a tiny bit thicker than some others.
    Shells with a thinner rim were loose and when the hammer hit it was a spongie strike because the round was not fully seated against the barrel. I fixed mine by carefully filing the hood / projection down making sure it was square to the bolt. Again I recommend taking it to a Smith. I build Savage rifles so I am up on headspacing and other mysteries of the internal workings of guns. Probably will have a few comments about dangers and other things , have before but guarantee if the safety is on and it is pointed in a safe direction U will not get hurt.
    I

3. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

So you filed down the shroud around the breech face? Sounds like a good way to get slam fires if I'm not careful.

I tore mine down, no rough spots or burs that I could find.

I think I will run another 500rds or so through it to see if it breaks itself in. If not it will be going back to Ruger. I also found that the bolt is very difficult to get in and out until you get it at just the right angle. So I am beginning to think the bolt may have been cut a bit sloppy on this one.

4. giturgun

giturgun New Member

Not slam fire the whole primer rim would have to be mashed to do that. Gave U something to look for. Seems like everyone is skeert to work on guns. Not for everyone . But if you check it to see if that is the prob. Then take it somewhere to get it fixed would save U a lot of time. And U just take off a .001 or so at a time till it fires and cycles correct.

5. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Thanks for the tip. It is much more loose than my other 10/22, so I think you have the right culprit. May just send it back to Ruger.

Take too much of the bolt face and it is certainly capable of causing slam fires, especially in a 10/22 that has a pretty sloppy bolt travel.

6. giturgun

giturgun New Member

Your decision I would fix the darn thing and be done with it. Spring is not strong enough to slam fire and the firing pin would have to be stuck out like a open bolt full auto. The rim has to be compressed a lot to fire. But am glad to hear U found it out. If U do decide to fix yourself just measure about 5 each of 22 rim heights of several different brands and cut down to the thinnest . They vary approx. .002 if I recall correctly. But that is just a guess SAAMI tolerances are pretty wide so everyone's
    stuff works with everyone else's stuff and everyone is happy .
    Is why I do my own headspacing on my bench gun. I run as close to 0 headspace as possible and the 22-250 Pac-Nor barrel has the tight .250 neck in it so shelf ammo will sometimes work and most times not work.
    :D

7. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Eh, its a brand new gun, and I have no immediate need to shoot it (I've got other plinkers including another 10/22). I'll let Ruger make it right

8. giturgun

giturgun New Member

Is cool. I just like to tinker. U could measure some rims and pick the thickest and try them. It took me about 1 year to find the problem in mine , but I was not gonna let it beat me. And it was a project gun I finally traded it for a CZ 2500 SUPER Brno . I like the bolt gun , but would like to have another 1022 to play with

9. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

I talked to Ruger CS, they told me to send it back. I'll be sending it in tomorrow, we'll see how it goes. Unfortunately they said the repair department will be closed from July 1st to July 5th. Hopefully they get to it before that.

10. giturgun

giturgun New Member

Did they say they would send a report I would like to know if that was what they found wrong

11. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

They just said someone would contact me after they got it and have a chance to look at it. If that's the case I'll be sure to get a confirmation from them on the problem and the fix.

12. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Ruger called today and they are going to replace it. They tried different bolts and different barrels still had problems. They decided the receiver was out of spec. Good thing I didn't go filing on it or else they would not have honored the warranty. I'm out about $50 for shipping it to them and FFL transfer fee when the new one arrives, but at least they are replacing it.