Need Some Help Please

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by DrDenby, Nov 14, 2016.

1. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

A guy referred by a buddy came to me to work on a Phoenix 25acp and 25acp derringer that needed a lot. Detail clean and rust removal, springs "made", etc.

Anyways, in looking for the ammo to test them, I was finding $25-26 for 50 prices.

This seemed awful high even for unpopular caliber.

He asked me if he bought the dies and bullets and brass, if I would reload for him.

So I looked into it.

I found dies but danged if I cannot find 25 brass and bullets ANY where.

Not just out of stock, but don't have it period.

So, I thought I would ask you guys if you reload 25, or know someone who does, where they get the brass and bullets?

Or if maybe you felt like something to do, help me find them.

Anyways, figured it can't hurt to ask for some help.

Doc

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

1st off, I don't reload .25 auto. However, I have seen comments on boards by folks that do. They say it's time-consuming because they feel like they need to use a powder trickler to control the charge.

3. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have loaded 25acp for quite a while. Magtech makes cases and bullets. Speer makes a very good .251 35 grain hollow point. Go to the auction sites to find components. i use Gunbroker. Grass and Sons has been a good place to find components.

When you find components, buy all you can afford and don't procastinate. They don't last long.

FWIW I use Universal powder. And I do weigh every charge. A small mistake can mean a large increase of pressure.

4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

5. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Thanks, everyone

Greg, thanks for the lead. Grass has the cases and the bullets

Savage Guy, I checked out that yesterday, they want $14 to ship it!

And yeah, VT, it will take a trickler alright 1.1 grains minimum and only 1.3 grains maximum

Not a whole lot of room for error!

I will have to decide whether I want to go thru the trouble to give him 25 cent ammo..

I will have to try to figure out something in trade for the work and time...

Anyways, thanks guys.

Doc

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

If I was him I would sell the 25 and buy the Phoenix 22ha. For $160 gun it never failed no matter what ammo I used in it. 22LR is a lot cheaper than 25 for sure. I sold it and bought an SR22 that is ammo finicky.
    Yeah for all that trouble loading I would tell him where he could get the things needed and the book how to and he can load them himself.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey Doc,

My 2 cents....?:)

There is a liability, loading ammo for someone other than yourself..

I have heard of lawsuits..

Jim

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

That. ^^ And, when his gun jams or breaks....
    The reload will likely be blamed, not the cheap little pistol.

:GadsdenFlag:

9. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

I thought of that yesterday as I was looking around, but

Would not that liability apply to if I charged for it?

I also suppose I could make him sign a disclaimer...

Hmm, it is starting to get well to the not worth it for me point isn't it?

Yeah, I think I will pass on it.

Doc

10. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I bought a Phoenix Arms HP22a and a HP22A. The point was to test to see the difference between the 22 and 25 in the same platform. To settle an argument that the 22 was not superior to the 25, most of the arguments for the 22 were from data taken from a rifle.

From a like platform, 50 gn 25acp vs 40 gr 22 LR using solid bullets, and 35 gn 25acp vs 36gn 22 LR hollow point bullets.

They were as alike as 2 peas in a pod. The slight edge went to the 25acp, due mostly to it being center fire. Reliability and all that, you know.

The 25acp is not all that hard to load for, just take your time. It is, however, more enjoyable loading the 45 Colt!

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Doc,

You know I load a lot of .45ACP plus I have about 2500 rounds of 9mm reloaded. I have some friends, good friends that want to buy the 9mm from me however I have to decline due to liability considerations. They said they would sign a waiver so I would not be responsible, however, I don't think that would hold in court. There are a lot of sleeze bag lawyers out there that would take that case in a minute. Think wisely grasshopper. Sometimes being a good guy can backfire. One of the guys said to get him or help him get a .22. They have a very valid point.

Tommy

12. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

True Tommy

Yeah I am going to pass on it. The negatives just overwhelm the positives.

I am not sure of the liability of simply loading for him without selling, but even without that, it's just not worth it.

I have a little RavenArms 25 myself, but shoot it maybe once a year. I keep it for sentimental reasons. $40 new lol. So it is not worth it for me to get the stuff for myself.

I will give him the info to do it himself or cheapest place to buy. Seems to be Cabellas. But only if buing like 300 at a time or something like that.

I still have a full box from when I bought 3 like 10 years ago.

Doc

13. noylj

noylj New Member

Liability. What about the LAW?
    Last time I checked, without an FFL to manufacture ammunition, you would be breaking the law.

14. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

You bring up a good point that I looked into before reloading.

I wanted to make sure it was allowed in my state and that I wouldn't be visited by goons in ski masks and ATF jackets.

For purposes of needing a federal license, etc, manufacturing is the use of AUTOMATED processes, reloading is the use of hand powered processes (single/turret press, etc)

At least that is what I gleaned.

Doc

15. noylj

noylj New Member

Call the jack-booted thugs at BATF to see if they agree with you. They are actually very nice to talk to and quite willing to cover such issues (at least they were when I had some questions about a curio & Relic FFL).
    The LAW does not state anything about automation, just producing ammunition.

16. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

I just don't have the need to.

I am that certain that I can reload my ammo in Florida.

Maybe California or Massachusetts (is that how it's spelt?), etc, have problems, but I am ok in Florida.

Doc