Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My little brother scored me a 4# can of Alliant Pistol Powder!!! It will be next month before I get it, but I am almost out of my present powder. Prior to this time I was using 4.5 grns. of Bullseye and 5.4 grns. of W231. I would like to know what would an equivalent load of Pistol Power would be. My Lyman book (which is vague) shows starting at 6.2 grns. and max at 7.4 grns. I usually try to load in the middle of the road so the recoil is close to mfg. Also would like to know, since this is slower burning, how dirty is the powder and has anyone ever had any problems? Bullets used are Berry's 230 grn. plated round nose. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! I forgot to add, my COAL is 1.250. I load all my .45's at this length.
Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
My little brother scored me a 4# can of Alliant Pistol Powder!!! It will be next month before I get it, but I am almost out of my present powder. Prior to this time I was using 4.5 grns. of Bullseye and 5.4 grns. of W231. I would like to know what would an equivalent load of Pistol Power would be. My Lyman book (which is vague) shows starting at 6.2 grns. and max at 7.4 grns. I usually try to load in the middle of the road so the recoil is close to mfg. Also would like to know, since this is slower burning, how dirty is the powder and has anyone ever had any problems? Bullets used are Berry's 230 grn. plated round nose. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! I forgot to add, my COAL is 1.250. I load all my .45's at this length.
Tommy
:)

That's Power Pistol, Tommy. All of the current manuals have load listings for it, including Alliant online. I don't use it so can't tell you anything more. Well, I could - but it would be bs.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:)

That's Power Pistol, Tommy. All of the current manuals have load listings for it, including Alliant online. I don't use it so can't tell you anything more. Well, I could - but it would be bs.
Bob,
My Lyman's 3rd edition said 6.4-7.2 grns. I looked it up on the net and got a bunch of confusing differences. I know it's slower than W231 or Bullseye. I have a RCBS Handy Dandy rotor #10 that will dispense 6.9 grns. Do you think I am pushing the limit if I use that?
Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Bob,
My Lyman's 3rd edition said 6.4-7.2 grns. I looked it up on the net and got a bunch of confusing differences. I know it's slower than W231 or Bullseye. I have a RCBS Handy Dandy rotor #10 that will dispense 6.9 grns. Do you think I am pushing the limit if I use that?
Tommy
Lyman's 49th edition lists - for 230 grain TMJ - 6.4 to 7.2 grains Power Pistol, with the max load producing 16,600 C.U.P.

Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd edition lists, for 230 grain jacketed bullet - 7.1 to 8.1 grains Power Pistol, with the max load producing 20,680 PSI.

Those C.U.P. - PSI measurements are not directly comparable; and that annoys me considerably.

If we can assume that Berry's plated bullets are slipperier in the barrel than jacketed (I think we can), 6.9 grains of Power Pistol ought to be safe. Being a fairly cautious guy, I would load one round that way, fire it in my gun making sure I can locate the case, and check carefully for pressure signs. Also, note how the gun acted in your hand; i.e. if it acted like you had fired a 'hot' load, you have to decide whether or not you want to run hot loads.

I'm not going to carry on with this example of paranoia ("the load is out to get me"). You are an experienced reloader Tommy; you know what to do.

;)

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I was going to put my expertise in and suggest using another credit card for the charge but then I realized I misunderstood your charging problem.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to put my expertise in and suggest using another credit card for the charge but then I realized I misunderstood your charging problem.
Buster,
You are sooooooooo observant and helpful, now give me YOUR credit card and I will have both problems taken care of!!!!:cryinglaugh:
Tommy

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know if anyone else is having this problem (I'm sure I'm not alone) but the reloading manuals seem to have all different sizes of loads which greatly differ. VT has a Lee manual and my Lyman's is different. I finally got to the Alliant loading chart, which was difficult to find, and they say you can use 8.1grns (max) of Power Pistol. And then in (-) state that you should drop it by 10% of which most of use usually do. The problem I am having is which book can you trust and how is it that they are coming out with all these new powders and not have loading guides. Jim posted on a thread of approx. 200 powders of half I have never heard of. What the heck is going on??? I know each time we load we are constantly experimenting, however there is a difference between experimenting and blowing something up.
Tommy

·
Reloader54
63 Posts
I reload ammo in .357mag, .45acp, and .45lc mostly. I have been using W231 mostly. As well. And I always reload all of my ammo at half of what they say is the max load in all of them. And I don't feel the need to reload at max charge because most of the shooting that I do in just target or Silhouette competitions. And my loads are just fine for that type of shooting. and I just had to buy more powder because I was running out of the W231 that I had. And I got Unique which I've used in the past and I also have data on what powder charge I used for it when I was using it. But I'm going to have to look up the powder charge loads for .45acp and .45lc because I have not reloaded these calibers before. I also keep a record of all of my powder charges when I change them for the caliber and bullet weight when ever I change powders. And that way when I do have to change powders I will have some record of what I used and could go from there. But for the most part I always reload all of my ammo at around half of the max charge and it seems to work for me. And I shoot .357mag and .45lc in both handguns and rifles with the same powder charges with no problems. I've also called Alliant and talked to someone there to get reload data in the past as well. and they were very helpful with giving me that data that I needed for the powder that I was using.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reload ammo in .357mag, .45acp, and .45lc mostly. I have been using W231 mostly. As well. And I always reload all of my ammo at half of what they say is the max load in all of them. And I don't feel the need to reload at max charge because most of the shooting that I do in just target or Silhouette competitions. And my loads are just fine for that type of shooting. and I just had to buy more powder because I was running out of the W231 that I had. And I got Unique which I've used in the past and I also have data on what powder charge I used for it when I was using it. But I'm going to have to look up the powder charge loads for .45acp and .45lc because I have not reloaded these calibers before. I also keep a record of all of my powder charges when I change them for the caliber and bullet weight when ever I change powders. And that way when I do have to change powders I will have some record of what I used and could go from there. But for the most part I always reload all of my ammo at around half of the max charge and it seems to work for me. And I shoot .357mag and .45lc in both handguns and rifles with the same powder charges with no problems. I've also called Alliant and talked to someone there to get reload data in the past as well. and they were very helpful with giving me that data that I needed for the powder that I was using.
Reloader,
Does Alliant have a reloading chart that you can acquire or do you just call them? I would like something in writing so I can add it to my files as I try to document everything I do.
Tommy

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
If Im working up loads I havent used before,
I go to my manuals, and then go to the powder mfg website /data/charge guides and see if they agree.

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If Im working up loads I havent used before,
I go to my manuals, and then go to the powder mfg website /data/charge guides and see if they agree.

Jim
Jim,
I am going to start of with lighter powder charges and slowly work myself up to where I feel comfortable. I would like the same recoil as what a factory round is, or real close. I can change recoil springs and go to a lighter spring, but I really don't want to. I want to keep everything as close to factory so if I had a SD situation, I will be use to the recoil. But I do thank you for the help.
Tommy

·
Reloader54
63 Posts
Tommycourt,
Here is Alliant Powder's web address. www.alliantpowder.com. I've been to their site in the past and have found reload data on it. And if I still had any questions there is a way to contact them online. And they did send me the info that I asked for in a few days. And here is a toll free number that I also have for them. It is 800-276-9337. Know it's been about a year ago when I called them for info so I don't know if it has changed or not or if they've made any changes to their calling in system. But you can give this a try either way. I hope that this helps. After all safety must always come first.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tommycourt,
Here is Alliant Powder's web address. www.alliantpowder.com. I've been to their site in the past and have found reload data on it. And if I still had any questions there is a way to contact them online. And they did send me the info that I asked for in a few days. And here is a toll free number that I also have for them. It is 800-276-9337. Know it's been about a year ago when I called them for info so I don't know if it has changed or not or if they've made any changes to their calling in system. But you can give this a try either way. I hope that this helps. After all safety must always come first.
Jeff,
I took your advice and got a hold of a guy at Alliant named Dwayne. We talked about powders quite a bit and he said that the 6.9 grains would be safe to use in my .45. When ever I get new powder I am reluctant to load anything heavy as I am not trying to blow something up. My .45's are used for target and plinking. Dwayne did say that they are working at full capacity to fill customer orders however the bullet manufacturers have the first chance to have their orders filled first. He also said BE86 (I think that's correct) is a good pistol powder and burns a little cleaner, however I can only use what I can get. My brother lives in Ca and they get powder all the time. He is coming to Az in June (he has never been too bright, heat hits us then) and bringing me as much as he can get. But the phone call was worth the effort and I thank you much for the info.
Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
:D

You seem to have a knack for chatting up folks, Tommy. I have known a few Texans with that talent...

My only significant time spent in Arizona was in Phoenix. Probably not a native in the bunch of folks I met. BTW I liked summer better than winter there; the smog in winter raised hell with my sinuses.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:D

You seem to have a knack for chatting up folks, Tommy. I have known a few Texans with that talent...

My only significant time spent in Arizona was in Phoenix. Probably not a native in the bunch of folks I met. BTW I liked summer better than winter there; the smog in winter raised hell with my sinuses.
Bob,
Kind sir, I take that as a compliment. I guess I was just born with it and have enjoyed meeting and talking with people ever since I can remember. And for some reason they seem to remember me too. Jeeeeeez, I gotta watch what I say - that could cause me problems.:cheesy:
Thanks again Bob, you are a fine guy yourself!!!
Tommy

·
Reloader54
63 Posts
Tommy,
Glad I could be of help to you. And if you ever get to AZ in the Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa area and you'd like to go shooting I do belong to a local gun club that I could take you to as my guest. I also volunteer at the club as a Range Safety Officer and I also run one of the matches that they have every month. Just let me know and we can meet and go shooting. I also have access to one of the members only ranges that is not open to the public. And it does have some silhouette targets that can be shot at as well as ones that we can put out ourselves. And I go out to shoot most of the year even when it's in the 100's and above. I also know what to do in case the heat gets to people that the heat starts to get to them. I also got out to shoot when the temps are down in the 20's as well. I go shooting all year long. The only time I don't go shooting is when it's raining.

·
Patriot
2,182 Posts
Rain? Bet you don't get rained out very often.
When I lived in Phoenix, I think it almost rained about twice in the year we were there.
We used to go hiking up near Badger Springs a lot. That area looks just like every cowboy movie I saw as a kid while growing up here on the Texas coast.
I remember taking a photo of a single cloud that came over and gave us a few moments of shade. lol
I loved it there, but the 120+ temps were a little tough.
Would love to live about half way between Phoenix and Flagstaff.
Maybe I can someday.You have real freedom type of gun laws there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
my understanding of plated bullets (Berrys) is they should be loaded using cast data or below mid range jacketed data. that is almost always where I start in any similar situation. I have used Berrys a number of times, they work very well. recently I have use plated bullets from X-treme. I like them as well and they are less expensive. delivery is prompt too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts