Need some advice on LW Commander

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, May 11, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Today was range day and I took my SR1911 lightweight Commander and fired it. I was shooting 2-2 1/2 inches below my 10 ring @ 15 and 20 feet both. All rounds were hitting at 5 o'clock. I don't know if my grip was wrong, pinky finger too tight but I do know I was flinching a little bit. I don't know if the reason why is it's a new pistol and I am anticipating the recoil or what. Was shooting MagPro 230 gr. round nose. Possibly I was gripping too hard with my strong hand and not enough with my weak hand. Now I am perplexed and frustrated. Anybody have any ideas to help, please advise. I did take out my standard Commander and hit where I wanted to for 20 rounds, but not with the lightweight. Stance was modified Weaver and was shooting 3 rounds at a time before I set the pistol down. IF you have any ideas I am sure open to suggestions.
    Tommy:dizzy:

2. samson

samson New Member

I had the same problem with the first 7 rounds in my Lightweight CMD-A. After having this problem with my all steel CMD I took the recommendation from the forum to do exactly what you stated in your post. Loosen the grip of the strong hand and tighten the grip of the support hand. That grip change put my shots into the 10 ring at 20', 25', and 30'.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I called Ruger today and talked to them. I noticed when tearing down my LW Commander there seem to be an excessive amount of play between the bushing and the barrel. I asked them if it would present a problem. They had me change bushings on my full size 1911 and then change the bushing on the other standard Commander I have. The full size and standard Commander did not have the amount of clearance that the Light Weight has. Vicky at Ruger said she is going to have the gun sent back to them and have them check the bushing clearance and do a accuracy test. I would estimate there is approx. .003 slop between the bushing and barrel and not hardly any at all on my other 2 Rugers. I guess time will tell. I should have the gun back in a week or so. Hopefully we will find out if it's me (which could very well be so) or possibly the bushing clearance.
    Tommy

4. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

I get a kick out of reading about bullseye shooters. I can remember back when I had eyes that could see sights and the target. now it's a choice of blurry sights and a clear target or reading glasses for the sights and a blurry target (who wears reading glasses to a gun fight?). the perfect gun for me would be high capacity 9mm with Colt New Agent style sights(thats a gutter milled down the top of the slide, maybe painted orange). keeping the group in the middle of a life size silhouette target at 3 and 7 yds. is what I practice on, further than that I need the pump 12ga.

please report back about Ruger service and the bushing clearance.