Need Rifle Advice!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Daagak, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Daagak

Daagak New Member

Hey guys, first off, new to the forum! Though not why im posting haha

Also a bit new to the rifle world and since its the only type of firearm that im missing, i have no choice but to buy onehaha

Now i hope that what im asking is not like asking: Would you rather have a pizza or a bike?

So here it is: Im between a Ruger American Rifle and a 10/22 either the takedown or the regular... which is better? Mostly in terms of range, as SHTF, and very important, more costumizable?

Thanks for the imput!

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

First off, welcome to RugerTalk! :welcome:

For the American, are you talking about the rimfire version? I have the American in .308 and highly recommend it although I have no experience with the rimfire version.

The 10/22 is semiautomatic, which is a blessing but can also be problematic with .22 ammo. The 10/22 does have a reputation of being a very solid .22 rifle. It's also one of (if not the most) popular 22 platform ever. It is also VERY customizable. It also comes at an appealing price.
    Hope this helps and enjoy the forum!

3. Daagak

Daagak New Member

Ohh i didn't specify sorry haha i would get the American in .223

4. Daagak

Daagak New Member

And Thanks for the welcome! :D

5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Ya got me kinda confused also. Your are comparing a bolt action rifle in .223 to a much less powerful .22 LR semi-quto. Do you inted to do some varmint hunting with the .223? If so, how far? Not that ya can't hunt varmints with a .22 LR. Your range will definetely be limited with a .22 as compared to a .223.

Yeah, ya can use the .334 to hunt deeer in a pinch. I have used the .222 Remington and .22 hornet successfully with proper shot placement. Howeer, most people use the .223 ina bolt action for varmnt hunting. You have not mentioned anything in the way of home or self defense. The .223 is way better than the .22 LR, but the choice of a bolt action .223 would not be the best for quick repeat shots. Something more like an AR, Mini, etc. The 10/22 might be a better choice for somehting in a SHTF situation for SD or HD over a bolt action in a larger caliber if you use it with a hi-cap magazine.

If ya don't need alot of power or will not shoot at longer ranges the 10/22 would make more sense, especially if you will not do any serious long range varmint hunting, need to keep the cost of ammo down and like the idea of custom stuff. If ya like to tinker the 10/22 is a good choice. Any bolt action hunting rifle is not the best thing to do that kinda thing with. If you think more along teh lines of an AR or Mini-14, you would be more open to alot of accessories for a rifle in .223.

Here is a pic of one of my 10/22s. It is a standard stainless model that came with a laminated wood stock. I have 2 rifles rigged up in this fashion with Butler Creek side folders, 4X Simmons scopes, and 30 round mags. They are for tehe kids to shoot and waste ammo. That keeps them from messing with my AKs & ARs. Can't afford to let them burn up ammo in the larger semi-auto rifles. Sometimes I let them use the SKSs. Slower to load than the AKs. and ARs.

And the bolt action rifles are set up for huntuing and paper punching. Got small calibers up to .270.

Is that enough for ya to think about? Hope that helps.

One of teh 10/22 Rambo buns.

[​IMG]

An SKS Rambo gun for the kids & relatives for fugwid.

[​IMG]

6. Daagak

Daagak New Member

Thanks Pancho_Villa, thats a nice imput. I don't really hunt, but would like a weapon that could do it if it was necessary, and for HD I got 9mm and 12 gauge.
    Those 10/22 of yours do look nice! And as you said, i like the idea of the cheap ammo! I do have a couple of questions, what would you say is the effective range of the 10/22 with scope? I don't think i need that much, maybe 100 to 150?

And also, I think it is but not sure, can I put a scope, bipode, and new grip on the 10/22 takedown?

Thanks!

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You can put just about anything you want to on a 10/22; after market suppliers are everywhere. A 22LR rifle is fine for bug-out SHTF, with the shotgun for big stuff and D. 22LR (or short even) is frequently used by deer jackers. The nature of SHTF includes game wardens having time off from their job.

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Have you considered an AR? Very customizable. And plenty of cheap ammo to be had. And there are lots of good deals going on for AR's right now.

Just an option to consider

9. Daagak

Daagak New Member

Thilman thanks, thats one of the things i like, i love to personalize all up haha

SavageGuy I did consider them but just for a quick second, I am from Costa Rica and here the AR's are $3500 and up hehe so honestly I think I could use that money better haha mostly buy costumizing parts for guns :D And playing a "sniper" is fun haha(at least the looks haha)

10. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hah. I spent a year in Costa Rica back in 2009. What part of CR are you located?