Need help on identifying a rifle

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Tommycourt, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have an old octagon barrel, very similar to a Remington #6, .22 shorts only that I cannot identify or establish value. It has no name or serial # on the rifle but I was told my an vintage gun collector he thought it was an old Remington gallery rifle. It is a single shot, hammer and you cock the hammer and pull back the breech plate to insert the round. After firing, you pull the trigger back, then the breech plate and then the ejector pulls the brass out. I am guessing it is a turn of the century firearm. Light checkering on the handle and iron butt plate. Front sight is dove tailed on and the only marking on the outside of the rifle is a small circle (about the size of a pencil eraser) with a possible R stamped on it. The mark is approx. 1" ahead of the loading breech. Anyone have any ideas???
    Tommy

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Tommy, you really need to have Jim coach you on how to get pics up. What you describe sounds like a Remington rolling block, except for the trigger back part.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,
    I told the gun apart and stamped on the bottom of the barrel is a "W" like Winchester used to make and then the letter towards the front of the barrel of it is stamped "CM" but that is all the markings I can find. Does that help with any clues? I cannot imagine a gun manufacturer not having markings and a serial # on it. In all my years of playing with guns, I've yet to see (except) for homemade rifles, any manufacturers without markings UNLESS they were prototypes and I used to see some of them on real old handguns and some shot guns. Will put it back together and wait until someone can come up with some ideas. Gosh, I wish it were worth a bunch, then I would have some more trading stock:D
    Tommy
    P.S. The butt plate has a little curve on the top extending over the end of the stock if that means anything.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Some mfg's did , but were not required to add S/N or markings, until the Gun Control Act 0f 1968.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of 1968

Marking requirements:
    The law also required that all newly manufactured firearms produced by licensed manufacturers in the United States and imported into the United States bear a serial number. Firearms manufactured prior to the Gun Control Act and firearms manufactured by non-FFLs remain exempt from the serial number requirement. Defacement or removal of the serial number (if present) is a felony offense.

Jim

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Here are photos of the rifle that I was talking about. I believe this is turn of the century due to octagon barrel. These are the best photos I can come up with. Any questions please ask.
    Tommy

Attached Files:

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Posted pics are
    1. Top of rifle breech closed
    2. Breech is open with trigger pulled to cock position. Notice block with handle ahead of hammer
    3. Bottom of trigger guard with tooling on trigger assy.
    4. Opposite side of rifle with trigger in cock position and showing dovetail inserted sights (front sights are dovetailed also but would have to be
    punched out. Fit is very tight on both sights.
    5. Rifle on ground. Can't see it very well but barrel is octagon and I haven't checked bore. I have had this rifle for years but I have no idea
    of where I got it. I believe I got it when trading guns at least 25 years ago. (at least)
    6. With barrel out of stock, you can see a "W" like it's a Winchester and 1" after the W, letters CM. Only other marking is a 3/16" circle with
    looks like 4 dots within the circle. No caliber, name or serial #. Rifle resembles a breech lock Remington 6 and somewhat like a Winchester
    #1 (I think is the correct #).
    7. Barrel length is 23 3/4" long.
    Tommy

Jim, I will trade you this for that old Smith & Wesson that you had posted. I remind you, I am not a S&W fan although I do have a Model 17-5.
    Only reason I would trade is so I won't hurt your feelings or if you don't want it, Buster or Bob is dying to have it. (my rifle that is)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Turn of the century? Yeah you might have been around then. Maybe you just look young for your age.
    I have a 1977 Marlin model 60 Glenfield .22 that I haven't any idea how I came to own it. I know I didn't buy it new.
    I spent a bit of time but I did find this and it looks very close to what you have there. Maybe no cigar but the wood design under the action looks similar to yours. I think you have a Flobert but of course I am not sure. The guns with the wood design yours has were Floberts. The trigger guard isn't the same but it also was closest on the Floberts.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=487247717
    I didn't find any Remington with close to your wood design or trigger guard.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It's a rolling block, but probably not a Remington; I don't recognize the extractor - which looks like the Flobert photos. Anyway, the Remingtons I've seen were identified as such on the tang.

Hah! A .22 short with a ~24" barrel; by the time the bullet exits, is it going more than 10mph?

:p

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,
    I did some research and found out that (I think) it's a Flobert. Anyway I am going to go with that. I have never heard of the make before and I guess they were made in Belgium between 1875 and the early 19th century. I thought maybe I would have something that had some value but guess I was wrong. Thanks for your help. I may have bought it as a kid (about 2 or 3) and killed squirrels, rabbits and rhinos with it. Just cuz I don't show my age, I am still trapped in a 90 year old body!!!!!! I guess you don't know until the experts tell ya that you have a piece of crap.
    But I would be willing to trade it for one of your fancy revolvers if you want to give some boot to sweeten the deal. Sound good??????
    Tommy:D

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I already have a rifle that shoots .22 shorts (Winchester Model 61) so I'll pass. Damn nice of you to offer though. If you fix that gun up a bit, it may be just the thing for (permanently) discouraging squirrels from attacking your bird feeder. I gave up on a bird feeder, specifically because a .22 short does not discourage bears,