Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Clear Armor ear muffs for indoor and outdoor range shooting. I suffer from hearing loss in both ears. The loss came from four years in Nam with guns blazing, howitzers blasting, and bombs falling. The deterioration was gradual but last June I had to get two hearing aids to compensate for that and old age.

I have good earmuffs for hearing protection. But I am going on an extended backpacking trip this spring and I will be visiting outdoor ranges along the way. I will be hiking, not driving so weight and bulk is an issue.

Some good earplug protection would save a lot of space. I have never used plugs. I have spent quite some time researching them on the Internet. I has been like trying to read alphabet soup. Very few to none in accurate assessments. I see lots of reviewers wearing plugs in YouTube videos.

So I need a bit of advice hopefully based on personal experience. Any thoughts offered will be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I never liked foam ear plugs because they didn't help much and quite often they hurt inside my ear. I sometimes wear ear muffs but that isn't what you want due to size.
http://earplugsonline.com/shooting-ear-protection/ I never tried these but further research of reviews might be worthwhile.
I most often use the ones in this link. When I am mowing or doing anything with loud noise I put them on. Hickok45 in his videos wears one like it also.
http://www.earplugstore.com/qb2bandedearplugs.html

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
You could always use chewing gum :cheesy:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I never liked foam ear plugs because they didn't help much and quite often they hurt inside my ear. I sometimes wear ear muffs but that isn't what you want due to size.

http://earplugsonline.com/shooting-ear-protection/ I never tried these but further research of reviews might be worthwhile.

I most often use the ones in this link. When I am mowing or doing anything with loud noise I put them on. Hickok45 in his videos wears one like it also.

http://www.earplugstore.com/qb2bandedearplugs.html

Thanks buster. I'll check out the links.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
You could take SG along with you and have him stick his fingers in your ears.

BTW my first set of the band ear plugs lasted me over 3 years. I liked them so much I bought another set which I wear now and they are at least two years old now. The set comes with an extra pair of replacement plugs. For under $10 and easy to store I really like them. I wear them around my neck and when needed put them in my ears. I wiggle them a little bit to get them in snug and even shooting a 357 doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You could take SG along with you and have him stick his fingers in your ears.

BTW my first set of the band ear plugs lasted me over 3 years. I liked them so much I bought another set which I wear now and they are at least two years old now. The set comes with an extra pair of replacement plugs. For under $10 and easy to store I really like them. I wear them around my neck and when needed put them in my ears. I wiggle them a little bit to get them in snug and even shooting a 357 doesn't bother me at all.

So who made them?

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I thought it was a pun until I watched some YouTube videos that demonstrate it. I also saw some that used unfired cartridges as ear plugs.
Allenr,
Do not use unfired cartridges for ear plugs as they are not expandable and will exacerbate noise. You can find some soft, I mean soft foam plugs at Sportsman's Warehouse in a package of approximately 20. Just don't insert them so they are uncomfortable. Push them in until you feel the ear housing full and that is enough. I have used them for over 20 yrs. When at the range I use them along with my muffs as added insurance. I have tinninitus in both ears and suffer greatly depending on how much external noise there is. The constant ringing will make the ringing become louder and in those cases I stick a foam ear plug in and it tones the noise down. Just MHO only! I forgot to mention that the orange/pink plugs will flex to fit your ears.

Tommy

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
I've found that the soft foam ear plugs that have a rounded end work pretty well.
Sometimes you gotta really work at it to get them in the ear canal correctly.
I use them along with ear muffs when shooting magnum revolvers.

:usa:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I thought it was a pun until I watched some YouTube videos that demonstrate it. I also saw some that used unfired cartridges as ear plugs.

That's funny . I was joking, but my grandfather did tell me that once he had to do it. Guess it was annoying trying to get the stuff outta his ear though......

·
Registered
992 Posts
I use triple flange plugs at work. They work very well against the blast from train horns, and do a good job with gunfire too. If your ear canals are large or small they might not be for you though. They can be cleaned and re-used, I recommend cleaning them often or you could get swimmers ear from them. (Ask me how I know...)

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
That was the GUNNY...R. Lee Ermey of Gunny Time...

My 2nd favorite NCO...

Right after My Wife: SGM (E-9) USA CID (RET)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a set that the safety officer at work cast to my ears. Not sure where you could buy them though. Maybe a nose ear and throat doctor, or a good safety supply shop.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I ordered a pair of Surefire EP7 today. They seem to have excellent db reduction of around 44 for a 165db gun shot noise. But without the filter plug in it has around 28db reduction and can hear conversations however a bit quieter.
This is what I wanted because I plan on wearing them whenever I go out somewhere or have a gun on me. I wanted to hear conversation yet could still be protected from losing my hearing if caught in a bad situation.

Thanks for the heads up about the Surefire earplugs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts