Need a recipe .357

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by phideaux, Mar 28, 2013.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I need someone to give me a good recipe for a .357 magnum load using:
    http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=161&category=5&secondary=10&keywords=

I dont know why I bought these , but , I got them and cant find any data for this bullet.

I know I can start with charges for 158gr or 150 gr, and work up a load , but thats time consuming and expensive.
    I have the following powders 2400, H110, Bullseye, power pistol, Unique and some others.
    Would like to use 2400, as I have a lot of it for 44 mags.

Anybody got anything to help out.

Thanks guys

Jim

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

I have had some of these in the past. I used 2400 out of a gp100 with a 6" barrel my best accuracy was with 12.5 gr. I couldn't find any data either so I called alliant they said start with 11.0 gr. With a max of 14.5 gr. With much more than 13 gr I was getting some fliers. I keep a notebook with all load data I have ever done and the results. Good luck with it

3. Will

Will New Member

This is from Lyman 2002. It's a JHP, but looks right with redhawk4life's load data. Good place to start.

[​IMG]

4. phideaux

Now thats just the kind of info I was lookin for.

I was beginin to think I was the only person to use those bullets.;)

I will be shooting them from a Uberti 4.75 in and a Rossi 20 inch, but I will start with 12.5 and see what I get.

Hey Will, thanks also, I can never remember the adjustment charge(rulea thumb) for switchin from jacketed to lead cast bullets.
    Good chart.

Jim

5. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

Jim let me know how that recipe works for you...

6. phideaux

You got it, Hope to try it next week.

Jim

7. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

Lee 2nd edition page 527

This load data is fresh from the Lee 2nd. Stated in the manual is the instruction that if a load for a certain weight bullet cannot be found, start at a starting load for a "next size heavier bullet.

A load for 140 grain bullet cannot be found. This load data is for a 145 gr lead bullet of the same configuration.

Attached Files:

8. Reloader54

Reloader54 Reloader54

Hi Jim,
    I reload .357 mag all of the time for my own use. I've used Unique, bulls eye, And I'm now using Winchester 231. For Unique I loaded 5.8 gr with a 158gr lead cast bullet. With the Win 231 I'm using 5.5gr with the same bullet. These were mid range loads. I looked up the load for 2400 powder in my Speer reloading manual and for 158gr bullets it say to use 13.8gr low to 14.8gr for max load. I also keep a record of what loads I do and mark down any time I make a change to the load. I also put a sticky note on the reloading ammo box that I put the ammo in so that I know what I'm shooting. I shoot mostly paper targets and metal silhouettes so I don't need to shoot max loads. So I shoot loads in the mid range. My pistol and rifle like the same load and I shoot the same load in both. You can always contact the powder manufacture and ask them what they would advise you to use. I've done it and they are always willing to help. Alliant you have to contact them though your computer. When I did it they asked for some info. They asked for the type of bullet I was using. I sent them the info from the box and they then sent me all of the info that I needed. It took a day or two to get the info. But they were more that willing to help. You can also get info from the powder manufacture's web site also. I hope that this helps.

9. phideaux

Previously, I have loaded a lot of 158 gr bullets, using Unique, Bullseye,W231, and tried a few others, But for whatever reason I ordered some 140 grn bullets, and, there is just no data on that bullet.

I just loaded 5 with 12.5gr of 2400, 5 with 13 gr of 2400, and 5 with 14 gr of 2400,
    I will be trying these this week to see which works best.

Hope to post range report soon.
    I will use a Uberti 4.75 barrel, and may try a 20" rifle.

I have great accuracy and consistency using Unique, but I have a few lbs of 2400.

Jim

10. Will

Will New Member

I just used some older Lyman data and loaded 2 rounds in .357 magnum with a 158 grain JHP and 8.3 grains of Unique. I think this is going to be pretty stout.

11. phideaux

That will be stout and a handfull.
    From memory, I think 7.4 gr is about the high for me, for 158 gr,
    But I would have to go to shop and look at my records, but cant recall ever going to 8 gr.

Jim

12. BLKRIFLE

BLKRIFLE Retired Postal and Air Force and avid reloader

It is recommended by all I know and have read to never load a lead bullet for over 900 fps unless it has a gas check. Just a little info.

13. phideaux

My understanding is, that it depends on the alloy and brinnel content of the lead.
    All I shoot are 18 brinnel, in magnum loads.

I havent had any ill effects ,that I can remember.

Jim