Need a new powder for .357 'plinking' Loads

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by MagBlackhawk, Oct 4, 2016.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Thru the years I've tried LOTS of powders in the .357 Magnum.
    Many that produce non-magnum loads tend to shoot high for a given bullet weight.

I decided on SR7625 for mild plinking loads because it is VERY accurate and shoots to the same POI (at 50 yd) as does magnum loads of the same bullet weight.
    So of course Hodgdon discontinued SR7625 in 2015. I still have a small supply but there ain't no more.

The 125 gr is my go to bullet weight these days.

I'm thinking TITEGROUP or TRAIL BOSS might produce mild loads that shoot to the same point as magnums.
    Anybody know?
    Or maybe you know of another powder that might do what I'm after.

Thanks,
    Mag

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am using Hodgdon Clays for 38 spl at 2.5 gr powder and 125gr flat nose plated bullets. Since I have crimped them they are shooting well for me. I am going to up the charge to 3.5 but haven't got around to loading any yet. It is actually, according to Hodgdon, one of the faster powders on the market today. These rounds are shooting as well as any factory rounds I shoot. LOL Maybe that's not saying much to some reloaders but at least they aren't all over the paper now that I crimped them. The powder really isn't dirty either.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Well, I tried Titegroup for .357 in my snubby- once. Bad accuracy, it shot way off POA at 7 yards. But I haven't tried it in my longer barreled .357's. I use Titegroup exclusively for 9mm with good results.

I really like Universal for light loads. Using my Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel: With a 125 gr bullet and 4.7 gr of powder (about 1050 fps) I was getting 3-4" groups at 50 yards w/supported elbows. At 80 yards, off-hand, I could hit my 8" plate 5 outta 6 times. Needless to say, I'll keep on using universal.

I'm not sure about same POI as mag loads because I don't shoot mag loads very often. I have heard good things about trailboss though.

Let us know what you decide!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I'm thinking you've tried Unique. Might work, seems like - depending on what you consider a 357 plinking load. Might burn dirty too.

5. kyhunter

kyhunter Member

I load my 357 mag with 125 grain swc using titegroup and have for years. I have both a S&W mod 28 and a Ruger GP 100 and the titegroup shoots fine and meters very well. I shoot mild cowboy loads as it makes the day at the range very enjoyable. You can shoot accurately with no leading. Just load at the very low end of the 38 special range or give the MFG a call to see what they think.
    You will very much enjoy the round using titegroup. KY

6. buster40c

7. noylj

noylj Member

What I always heard and noticed myself was that as velocity goes down, POI goes higher--said to be due to more time for recoil to act on gun with bullet still in bore. Not sure I am 100% convinced of that, but that is what the targets show. Then, as bullet weight goes up, POI goes up--again said to be for the same reason.
    Thus, if you want to get the POI moved down, you would need a lighter bullet.
    However, I don't know if the trajectory is such that most have come back down by the time the bullet is at 50 yards, but an external ballistics program might be of some help.
    I don't know how powder can effect anything if the variables are bullet weight and velocity, but if you are right, then a powder with very much the same burn rate would be needed--such as Unique or Universal.

Carl Crosby likes this.
  8. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

For .357 mag plinking I use 11 grains of AA7 under a 158 lead SWC. CCI 500 small Pistol Primers. Shoots comfortably out of my four inch Security Six.;)

9. Oldhenry1

Oldhenry1 New Member

Powder

Just Loaded a bunch of .38 Spl and .357 and used W231.

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jerry,

Have you ever tried Winchester W231? It is a fine grain powder, easy to meter and easily ignited. I load all my .45 loads with it when I can get it. Course I am shooting a heavier bullet but I can't see where that would make that much of a difference. Plus it's not as dirty as some other powders. Just a suggestion buddy!

Tommy

11. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Try Titegroup. I tested some .357s with it last week and they shot very well with a 125 gr bullet.

12. kyhunter

kyhunter Member

I have loaded hundreds and hundreds of 125 gr lead bullets over Titegroup in 357 cases. Used load data for light loaded 38 special rounds for this and experienced very good results. Easy to shoot, little recoil and no leading. Doesn't seem to be as dirty as Bullseye or Unique but anything that burns will leave a bit of carbon. Give it a try.... if loading jacketed bullets just would load a bit higher just to make sure no issues with lodging a bullet in the barrel..
    KY

Carl Crosby likes this.
  13. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^^what charge weight are you using? If I remember correctly, I think I used 4.7 grains.......

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm moving very slowly on working out a new mild mannered .357 plinking load.
    I've been loading H110 when I take out the .357 and I still have some SR7625 in my supply.

I sold my .44 Mag so next up will be 180 gr Hard Cast LWFNGC / H110 for back up hog hunting.
    So it'll be a while before I get around to trying something totally different.

Titegroup sounds like a good place to start when the time comes.

Hodgdon data for Titegroup in the .357:
    125 gr Cast LNRFP ... 4.0 - 5.4 gr (Low pressure)
    125 gr HDY XTP ..... 6.8 - 7.5 gr (Up to pressure)

I'll report my findings when I finally get around to giving something non-magnum a try....

15. GoesBang

GoesBang Member

Maybe some HP-38?

16. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I was out today shooting the Security Six using 8.3 grns of AA5 under a 158 grn semiwadcutter,(357 cases), CCI small pistol primers. Was a pleasant outing.:)

17. buster40c

I used Hodgden Clay powder 3.5gr in 38 spl. I really like how clean this powder is and cleaning shows it big time. Just running paper towel through the barrel cleans it right up. I am using Swamp Popper bullets 124 gr LPJRN. They are coated lead bullets. They seem to be fairly consistent shooting.
    I would say the recoil is comparable to factory 38 spl reloaded but it is so much cleaner. For the powder I paid around $38 a pound and the bullets were around $36 for 500 from 10 ring Houston.

18. noylj

noylj Member

POI/POA is a recoil phenomenon more than a powder phenomenon, where slower loads shoot to a higher impact point, at least until they reach max height. Thus, you might want to work out external ballistics, if they can take into account the barrel uplift during recoil.
    If it really is a powder issue in your case, then you want to try a powder with the "same" burn rate such as Unique, Universal, Power Pistol, Herco, or HS6.

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

In several different guns with barrel lengths from 4" - 6.5" :

Herco worked well with 158 gr bullets and makes for a pretty stout load with good accuracy.
    They shoot to the same POI/POA as does 296, H110 and factory loaded 158 gr ammo.

When using 125 gr jacketed bullets with Herco accuracy suffered and pressure signs showed with only a little more powder than I could use with 158 gr bullets.
    Admittedly I didn't spend much time experimenting with 125 gr/Herco because those large flakes are a pain to deal with in my manual powder measure.

HS6 sent 158 gr and 125 gr bullets high.

SR7625 / 158 gr and 125 gr bullet loads shoot to the same point as magnum loads even when reduced.
    (Magnum loads being 296/H110 along with Win and Fed factory loads).

I have a good supply of HP38 so I'll try it if I ever have the time cause...

Home "improvement" has taken all of my time lately. :brickwall:
    Then there's that BIG tree that fell through the back part of the house.:gaah:
    The tree guys will be finishing up Saturday morning.
    Might be a while before I spend much time playing with .357's.................................

20. kyhunter

kyhunter Member

I too have shot low recoil "cowboy" loads and after trying a few powders settled on TiteGroup. If you stay in the loads for lighter 38 special loads with Lead bullets seems to work fine. I shoot cast 125 grain swc and tested higher and lower charges only to find for target shooting the lighter loads shoot fine and accurate loaded into 357 mag cases using std primers. Off a rest in a 4" barrel Ruger GP 100 at 20 yds honest group sizes are about 2 to 3 inches. Maybe others can do better but I have shot this for years these are my results. Good luck. Some of the fun to shooting it the testing part. At least it is for me. KY