Need A/C advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, May 9, 2014.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My Central AC unit is 15 yrs old, and I been adding a pound of Freon every year for last 4-5 years. Last year it only lasted 2 months. So I had tech out and it has a bad Freon leak from evaporator, says it cant be fixed, and replacement is about $1000.

So Im not putting that much into a 15 yr old system. btw, it is also heat pump. Which is used only a few days per year, as I heat with wood. But I need the heat pump for Ms Phi when Im planted, cuz she cant do firewood.

Now... which brand?
    Im looking at York, Heil, Goodman, Rheem, Ruud and a few others.(leaning York)

I have read tons of reviews on each brand , guess what Im finding.

BAD reviews (high % 1 star) on EVERY brand.
    I guess quality is a thing of the past.

Im looking for some input from you guys.
    I just want to try and buy the BEST of bad.

I don't want junk, and I don't need the Mercedes.

Jim

2. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

I had rheem for several years and it never gave any trouble. Now I moved and running a York and my AC bill dropped 30%... Only help I am is both have been good to me

3. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

I have a York it's 12 years old never any problems with it change the filter every month and have it serviced every fall because furnace is connected with it. Just one old woman's openion

4. phideaux

Picked up my SECOND unit late yesterday, had them check freon before I took it. It was full.

Started uncrating and unloading it at 8 am , at 12 noon I got cold air blowing thru every vent in my house.

Jim

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

so did you replace just the evaporator or buy a complete new unit? Yeah I checked on new heat pump unit and I found same as you did. Piss poor quality on the new stuff. It's like appliances, nothing lasts like the old stuff did.
    I think if my over 22 year old heat pump goes out then I will just go a window unit. I have been told around ten grand to replace the complete unit. Knock on wood the old unit keeps running.
    You know with heat pump you can shut off the outside unit and then just heat by electric coils like any other central unit that isn't heat pump. Be a lot higher electric bill but .............

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  6. phideaux

Buster,
    I replaced the self contained complete heat pump package.

Its a York,
    Been in now for 2 months,
    My old unit never kept up, and worked as good as this one,:confused:

This one has that new freon 410 in it, maybe thats why.

I sure like this one. Hope it last me till Im pushin up daisys.

Jim

7. havasu

havasu In the army now..

If I'm not mistaken, the new freon is extremely high pressured, and the regular AC gauges will not work on them. It is suppose to be the latest trend, but many service folks will be left out in the dark without purchasing the new gauges.

8. monsterdawg

monsterdawg New Member

The discharge pressure on R22 is generally around 225psig, 410a is generally 400+. 410a requires stronger manifold hoses, with a higher pressure rating.

9. phideaux

Does it cool better?

Jim

10. monsterdawg

monsterdawg New Member

Maybe "more efficient". It's also a mixture of 2 refrigerants, and if there is a leak, they don't leak equally, so, if you lose more than 10% of the charge due to a leak, you have to recover and dispose of the old stuff and put new stuff in. The way you know if you lost more than that is to recover and weigh the 410a in the system and you have to know the exact charge weight at install. It works fine, just gonna be a long term PITA! (IMO).

11. buster40c

I have read so many reviews on all sorts of the newer heat pump a/c units and most all talk about how they aren't holding up like the older units. Hope you have good luck with yours. York has been around a long time that's for sure.
    I don't think any of the new appliances lasting near as long as the older ones did. Maybe to much plastic and cheaper metals used now. I think many of the bushings and even the gears now are plastic instead of metal. The old days of a washer and drier lasting 30 years is now gone IMO.
    I saw in the trucking industry the makers seem to be making parts with plastic knowing it will have a shorter life expectancy. Cha Ching! I believe they make much more on part replacement than they made on the sale of the truck. OOPS I understand now why nothing is made to last anymore.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  12. phideaux

Yep, I got an old coleman A/C unit at a rental house, its 25 yrs old , only been cleaned , thats it. Runs great.

My old unit was almost 15 yrs old and been worked on and had freon added every year for the last 4-5 yrs. Finally got tired of throwin money in it.

I doubt Ill be around 15 more yrs, so maybe I wont have to replace this one.;)

Jim

13. buster40c

Well here is hoping you outlive your new a/c.
    I did a test to show to what age I should make it to. It said I should see 81. 18 more years to go, I am not putting any bets on that.

14. phideaux

Well,
    I been "dead man walking" since I turned 50.
    It has been downhill for me for 17 years.

Im a lot older than I am....know what I mean ?;)

Check out my resume over at the Seniors Thread.....warning...it aint purty.:D

Jim