Ruger Talk Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I bought Repel with lemon and eucalyptus for mosquito spray. It works very well. It has no Deet in it either. It doesn't feel yucky on my skin and the smell is just strong lemon and eucalyptus. Don't get this stuff in your eyes from rubbing your eyes with your hand because it does burn.
I thought only a trained qualified mechanic could work on all electric cars. I heard only an electric car dealer can take them on trade or sell.
I am guessing you better stock up before winter hits or you might starve due to being snowed in.

Reactions: quirky

·
Registered
294 Posts
I thought only a trained qualified mechanic could work on all electric cars. I heard only an electric car dealer can take them on trade or sell.

I am guessing you better stock up before winter hits or you might starve due to being snowed in.
Howdy Buster, I got the gas one but you are still right, Mercedes don't want no one working on them but them. I bought mine used, it still has a little factory warranty on it but I did buy an extended warranty cause I bought it from a used car place and they don't care who services it as long as I have proof it was serviced properly at the recommended intervals. But if Mercedes finds out they will void the warranty. ___ F uck 'em ! :)

As far as being snowed in that's not a concern with me, it's the cost to shop up here. I'm heading down to the closest Wally world in the morning, that's almost 150 miles round trip. It is what it is, everything has to be thoroughly planned.

They keep the road plowed good up here so I won't be to nervous about getting down to shop but like I said everything has to be well planned in advance.

But you certainly cannot be making a trip like that even once a week, I thought I could do it once a month but now I'm thinking if I can go 15 days, twice a month I may be OK. The big deal is how to get the cold items back home before they go bad.

I'm gonna buy me a cooler tomorrow and some ice at Wally world that should be enough to get me back home.

Everything is a workaround where I'm at, it can be overwhelming and I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about it all. But I think I'm up for the challenge or at least hope I am. But if my health turns for the worst I'm screwed because they could never get to you in time.

But man is it nice and peaceful up here and my apt. is simply splendid and very affordable. One of the neat things is we have a back-up industrial generator (I mean huge) that will keep your refrigerator on and one outlet in the living room and a small electric heater in the bathroom for hot water during the power outages in the snow and ice storms. And I got a portable electric heater so I don't freeze to death cause the main heating is by oil but when the power goes out it shuts down the electric pump for the oil.

And at least I won't lose my food you know what I mean.
I'm get'n me some snow tires for my little squirrel and will run on them all year long so I don't have to swap tires back and forth every season.

I got a portable solar panel hooked up to the battery for a constant trickle charge mainly for the cold weather.

There are some drawbacks for me living out like this I'm not all that happy about, #1 I'm going to have switch my primary care Doctor and #2 find a new gun club to join if I can. They are simply to far for a round trip.

All the rest can be worked out with careful planning.
But my current Doctor and gun club I really came to like very much, oh well, another chapter in my life.

Thanks for the tip about that Repel, the stuff I'm using has 40% Deet in it but I'm being careful where and how much I'm spraying on me.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I hear you on the cooler for in the car. I carry a cooler in both my vehicles to keep groceries cold and not melt. Otherwise ice cream might be milk by the time I get back home in this near 100 degrees heat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quirky, The cooler is a great idea. Also, instead of ice in your cooler, which takes up a lot of space. Use an empty juice container filled with salt water and freeze it. It will stay cold for longer periods of time and the big + is cost effective. Just re-freeze it. As for stocking up, you'll need to be conservative with your supplies. Ask the locals how they do it and in winter time wear long jons. The synthetic ones are warmer than cotton and I never seen them but heard of electric ones. Much like the ones motorcycle riders wear. Buy wool clothing or wool lined.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I am guessing quirky would have to drive a long ways to get salt water. LOL

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
This morning I saw several vultures by the ditch. I decided I better take a look in case there was a person they were feasting on.
I saw a large armadillo about 3/4 eaten away by the vultures. I sort of wondered how it died because the road being a dead end the cars aren't moving but at a crawl since they have a tight turn around to make.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Saw my first moose in the road today but he gave me plenty of time to slow down, Wow !

He was in the oncoming lane and walking across as I slowed down it looked like he wanted to go back but then started a gallop across and jumped over the guard rail, I heard his hoofs hit it.

Interestingly enough that section only has that guard rail there because it's big time
moose cross there.
This was at pass 3:00 pm today so now I know they will cross at anytime.

He had no
antlers but was taller than my car, he was big, although it could have easily been a female who knows.

Interestingly enough when I was heading down to my apt. I was thinking I hope the time I live up here I never see one in
the road and wouldn't you know it on the way back home I see one.

I can tell you this now, the winter coming has me nervous because they'll probably be crossing in droves looking for food, who knows but thankfully I saw him in time and I didn't have to slam on my brakes.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That's a real danger to your bug. If you stop he might sit down on your car. Yep stopping in snow might be a problem in the winter.
The biggest critter I saw in the road was a Brahma bull that made my Toyota p/up seem tiny. I had to look up to see his head. That bull was the biggest I had ever seen.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
My dogs went crazy when I let them out at midnight. They chased after something which ran next to the sliding lass door I was standing at. It was an opossum.
I went and got my Heritage with 22lr bird shot loaded in it. The dogs had it down and one dog chomped in the center of it and slung it around like a rag. When my dog let it down I shot the opossum in the head twice and it wasn't playing possum now.
The neighbors from up the street evidently heard the gun shots and drove down by my house to see if they could see anything. They probably saw me with a flashlight walking in my yard by my house. I doubt they could see me holding the possum by the tail with a pliers. I threw it across the fence so my dogs couldn't get to it anymore.
Opossum look like a big ugly rat with a mouth full of big teeth.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Had a appointment down the hill today and saw this on the way down and reminded myself to get a picture on the way back. It's only about 2 miles from the shack, so I'll be keeping that in mind where it was. Deer worry me more than the moose do because they will just jump right out in front of you.

Here are some pictures I forgot to post the other day as I was coming back home from that apt. You can't see it that well in these because the sun was gone but on the way down you should have seen it when the sun was out.

We are talking 'picture perfect' Thanksgiving colors as the foliage is in full on seasonal change for autumn of which it started changing over 2 weeks ago which surprised me at how soon, it's got to be because of the higher altitude up here I'm thinking.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts