Nagant Revolver report

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by phideaux, Apr 17, 2016.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ok, so I had a wonderful day to do some shooting .

I took the Nagant M1895 revolver and a couple others down to the range.

I use the MTV for shooting off of up close, so I parked it at 12 yrds, and set the tripod to help , so I can really see what the gun is capable of.

I really like the feel of the grip,

It only has a groove with a thin slot for rear sight , and a dovetail , front sight, of which the guy I bought it from has installed a green fiber optic sight, so I will leave it for now.

The DA trigger is horrible, probably 20 lbs, because it has to cock it , and move the cylinder forward.
    The SA trigger is not too bad maybe 6 lbs, very little take up , but some overtravel.

The first shot ( SA) I hit about 3" low and slightly right.

I had the front bead setting up top of rear slot so I set the bead deeper in the slot , and fired 6 more shots using that sight picture.

I was excited that the 77 year old gun was shooting to POA.
    btw, The bore actually looks as if it has never been shot.

Here is the gun and the target.
    I keep all first shooting targets in a file cabinet.

100_5811.jpg

100_5809.jpg

100_5806.jpg

100_5807.jpg

100_5820.jpg

bbrest2.jpg

bbrest3.jpg

Jim

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. gumpy

gumpy New Member

That's a neat looking pistol. Looks like a good shooter also!

3. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Love the built in gun swabbing rod!

4. phideaux

Hard to believe it was designed in 1895, and was used thru WWI and WWII.

this one was mfg in 1939, and never issued (no stamp) and is like new.

Very much fun , light recoil, but pretty loud.

Ill never try reloading for it, too complex.

Another safe queen I'm sure...:rolleyes:

Jim

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

That will make a nice safe queen. Looks good, and interesting, and complicated, with interesting accessories. Take it out to show visiting gun-nuts (if you happen to meet any).

6. phideaux

My wife will have another one at her disposal, when I'm pushing up daisies.:)

It may get shot once a year. :rolleyes:

Another safe queen, //investment ...for my lovely bride..:cool:

not to mention, for my pleasure, until I'm in the big GunShop in the sky.:cool:

Jim

7. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

What caliber is the 1895? I love those full wadcutters. What does a box of ammo run these days?

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

If I could shoot that good I would quit and call it wonderful. Just like I did when I was bowling. I quit bowling because my bowling scores and my golf scores were almost the same. Some guys are just natural born and others are just born.

Tommy:nuts:

9. phideaux

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought about the 20lb trigger due to the cylinder moving. Need a tow truck for that trigger. The ammo costs about same as .40 cal so not as expensive as I thought it would be. It sure is accurate for made way back when,
    That 20lb trigger pull is to give a shooter time to think if he really wants to shoot the target.
    Yep that's a safe queen. Do you have a gun description and price list on all your guns for your wife in case she does need to sell them someday? God forbid that happens but like taxes the time will come to pay the fiddler someday.

11. phideaux

Every gun I own is in a database,with everything she needs to know, cost, accessories, s/n etc, and two print outs. And pictures of every one
    :).

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Must be a large database.

:rayoff:

13. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

^^ Got that right!

14. phideaux

I have been known to get excited about a gun, that I just RE-realized I have in the safe ....:rolleyes::D

I try to shoot most of them at least once a year,
    of course I have a few favorites that I shoot often.

I'm just naturally addicted to big , I mean big bore stuff, and long distance experimenting with .22lr....so much fun.

not promoting myself at all guys....they are a way of providing some income for my wife after I'm gone...I think my last printout was 6 sheets.:rolleyes:
    I never buy a gun if I don't feel like, I can at least break even with , or make a profit.

IE, I bought a Mossberg 800am (1966 birth date) .308 rifle for $100 , been offered $750....Nope ...that's mamas.:cool::)

and don't even consider the enjoy I get from shopping , buying, shooting, modifying, repairing, restoring, reloading, experimenting,

also I have read many stories of Bosnia war survivors that always came down to the best thing that helped them survive the total take over,and collapse of their gov and economy overnight, was guns and ammo.:cool:

Jim