Myth or Fact Crazy wabbit.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Jun 15, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have heard it is not safe to eat rabbit killed in the summer months due to fever and whatever else. I have ate perhaps half dozen wild rabbits and I guess I was just lucky according to the rabbit tales not tails. I don't eat the head so maybe that was one reason I am still alive.
    Anyway here is an article concerning this and you all decide for yourselves. Myself after inspecting and cleaning the meat looks good then I am going to cook or fry up my bunny rabbit.
    http://www.unluckyhunter.com/2011/07/myth-or-fact-are-summer-rabbits-safe-to.html
    Now if I see this in or coming out of a rabbit I probably will not eat it.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsvLe5e4DWs[/ame]
    Here is another seeming myth buster.
    http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98778

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Nah, not me...

I been brought up , being told by my gramps, my dad, my uncles,
    Never eat a hot weather rabbit. They got wolves worms,

Taught my kids and grandkids the same way.

I aint sure 100% if their bad or not.
    I do know 100% , if I dont risk it , dont eat it, I aint gonna get sick from it.:)

Jim

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    When I was a kid we used to hunt and eat a lot of rabbits. Grandpa told me to check the kidneys and liver for white spots or worms and those were NOT to be eaten. Of course our hunting season started in October when hopefully we would have a frost by then but we never ate rabbits during the summer. Just MHO! But that's what Grandpa said and I stuck to it.
    Tommy

P.S. You could probably eat that rabbit with the worm in it but I personally wouldn't. Might be an extra source of protein you don't want to injest. Again, MHO!!! We used to skin them and usually just ate the legs on them as there isn't much meat in the rib area. Same with squirrels and both animals are easily skinned once you know how.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

There are countries that don't eat cattle because it could be an incarnation of their great one. All this while many people in those countries are starving.
    Many people will not eat pork because they believe they very likely could die from doing so. Yet how many people love and eat bacon or pork chops and don't even get as much as an upset stomach.
    I saw a reference that rabbits{ Hairs} are talked about in the bible as being unclean and not to be eaten. I never read or heard that before.
    Some old wives tales have a lot of truth to them and then there might be just as many have no truth to them.
    I guess we each have to research and decide for ourselves rather than believe everything we hear passed down from generation to generation. OOPS that might make you a tin foil hat thinker.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

That video almost makes me want to puke!!!!!
    Tommy

6. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

From the time I started hunting we were taught not only to hunt in season but to wait until after the first frost which normally sees to it they have no wolves (worms).
    Still can remember my mom frying up rabbit and making gravy and cathead biscuits for breakfast.:)

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Back in my 'eat wild' days (teenager) my woodsman buddy and I didn't eat porcupine or varying hare until after a couple hard freezes. White worms in the entrails were a turnoff.

BTW, I saw news that wasting disease has been spotted in Michigan's deer herd.

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hare's possibly a myth. It comes from the south east Texas coast.

You should only eat rabbits in the months that have an "R" in them.

Wife just told me that is about eating oysters. We are near the coast so..............

Wonder if both are myths? Probably something about not eating them in the hot weather.
    We do have a full four seasons here. Nov, Dec, Jan. and Summer.

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Wife saw I was posting about rabbits and R months. She researches everything immediately.

Apparently ticks on rabbits could carry a disease called tularemia, (bunny fever). In colder months ticks aren't as prevalent.

And I thought Lyme's disease was all I had to worry about. D'oh!

10. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The last ten rabbits I killed, (for eating my garden), were in hot weather, and were covered in ticks..yuuaaaackkk.

The local coyote pack had a feast.:D

Jim

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Mag,
    Oysters are NO myth when it comes what time to eat them. I have eaten oysters and they can carry a bacteria in a human can digest and it will have you puking all over unless you croak. I was in New Orleans years ago and they told us not to eat the oysters as it was the wrong month. Only time I ever listened. My buddy didn't and a day later was puking all over. He puked so much that he thought his rectum was caught in his throat. I told him that with the good grace of God and a long handle spoon he might be able to put it back. Oysters are a no-no certain times of the year. Another thing to remember, they also can carry mercury in their system.
    Tommy

12. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

"Rectum was caught in his throat" Had that feeling one time in Bangkok. :D
    When I was there many years ago there was no alcohol content law and we were drinking mass quantities of bottled Singha beer and undoubtedly some must have had 30% alcohol.
    Sorry about going off topic but that statement fit a memorable occasion.