My weekly range report

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by Tommycourt, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Went to the range today with my LW Commander and full size and I tried, for the first time some Power Pistol powder. I had 5 rounds of 7.4 grns and 12 rounds @7.0. I was shocked at the way this powder reacts! It is a hot powder with a lot of muzzle flash. Recoil on the 7.4 was hotter than a factory load and the 7.0 is very comparable to factory loads. From now on I am going to limit my loads to 7.0grns. The COAL was 1.255 and using lrg. Winchester primers. ONE MORE THING: Today I had a squib load using Titegroup powder. I was shooting my LW and it would not go back into the charge position. My first reaction was to change out mags which I did. After several attempts I tried the same rounds in my full size Commander and they had no trouble discharging nor loading. At first I thought I might have broken my recoil spring. The lighting isn't good at the firing line so I went to the gun shop and talked to Red the gunsmith. We tried to load a factory round and it would not go into charge. Then we stuck a light down the barrel and both seen the squib round. Thankfully it only went down the barrel less than a half inch and would not let me load back into full charge. I WAS LUCKY!!!! These were loads that were loaded on a single stage re loader and somehow I missed charging a round with powder. It goes to show, that no matter how many rounds you load, mistakes can happen. Somehow I had missed charging that 1 round and that could have caused irreparable damage. I told my wife when I got home that under no circumstances, when I am at my loading bench, do not do anything to distract me. YES, it was MY fault and I won't deny it. But when reloading, caution must be observed at all times.

Tommy

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yes you got lucky the gun would not chamber another round. I guess the heavy 45 round is to much for just a primer shooting.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tommy,
    Your one fortunate guy,
    Someone was watching over you today.

I am assuming that are ok with the Power Pistol powder,
    How did it do as far as accuracy?

You should really think about a Chrony, as it is a valuable reloading tool.

Jim

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,

I really didn't focus on the accuracy aspect as much as I normally do. After the saga of the guy who blew up his .45 I was more concerned about how the powder would react and my reaction to it. I only had 12 rounds @7.0 and 5 @ 7.4. Now that I have decided that I am going to stick to 7.0 as my max load, I will focus on my accuracy. This week I am going to try to load up 50 rounds and see how it affects accuracy compared to the Titegroup and will get back to every one. And YES, I had an angel over my shoulder today watching out for me and I will never take that for granted.

Tommy

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Damn it Tommy, please pay attention to the characteristics of each round you touch off. That squib round must have sounded - and felt - different from 'normal'.

That 'individual attention' thing is why I avoid shooting more than 10 or 12 rounds at a time. I go look at the target, or write myself a note, something to reset my brain. Be simpler if I had a reset button to push...

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,
    This is NOT an excuse but here's what happened. Normally I only shoot 3-5 rounds per time. I have been working hard in my shop and doing a lot of welding while it's nice out. We went to my granddaughters birthday party and I was late getting to the range. I truly believe that somehow I got distracted and WAS NOT paying attention while I was shooting these rounds. They were the rounds that were handloaded and I was more concerned about the test rounds I have fired of which were 17 in total. I fired 2 rounds and put the weapon down and started to pick up brass on the floor as the range is small and rounds fly all over and I was stepping on them. I fired my 3rd round and that was the squib round. As I went to the 4th round, my slide assy would not go into full charge, so I ejected the mag and honestly thought I had a magazine problem, squib not even entering my mind! I tried about 3 times to load the pistol and a couple of different mags and got the same results. I actually thought I may have broken the return spring, so I pulled out my full size SR1911 and finished off the rounds I had. The firing line lighting is not good so I thought I will tear it down when I get home. Red, our local gunsmith was there and he said : How did you shoot today Tommy?" My reply was I broke one of my guns. He told me to come over to the shop and let's look at it. He said he knew I did a good job reloading but asked me if I had tried a factory round. I said no cuz I rarely carry any with me. He pulled out 5 rounds of Magtech and tried to load it and then he said "let me get a bore light". That's when we found the squib. As I stated Bob, it was totally my fault for 2 reasons.
    1. I got distracted when I was pouring powder and missed that round.
    2. I got distracted picking up used brass rather than completing my
    shots and NOT focusing on finishing my battery of rounds. I took it for granted that I would not have any problems as I have loaded over 5K of these rounds and never had any problems. It re-inforced my thinking bigtime: NEVER EVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED. MY MISTAKE WAS THAT I DID!!!!

Tommy

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  7. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Takes guts to stand in front of us all and admit you messed up, Tommy. So I say, Thank you, and hopefully we all learn from this.

8. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Yeah man, you could get a job at blazer any day.