My typical Sunday range report

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by Tommycourt, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Today was shooting day and I was back at the range. I reported last week that I loaded some rounds with Power Pistol and Jim asked me about accuracy. This week I took 12 rounds with 6.8grns of Power Pistol and 6 rounds with 7.1 grns. of Power Pistol. Accuracy stays the same but I was surprised at the recoil on the .3 grains difference in the 2 different rounds. There was quite a bit which I found surprising. I also fired 100 rounds with Titegroup, 230 RN Berry's which is my typical load and that is a good load for target and plinking. I would note that anyone using Power Pistol, DO NOT go by their chart on the internet which states using 8.1 grains and reduce by 10% for starting loads. That is still a HOT round. I am going to limit my loads to 6.9 grains, still have the desired recoil and accuracy. Shooting today was done @35 feet and I could hold a 4" pattern which is good for me. The guy who blew up his .45 was there today and we visited. He said he didn't know what he was thinking when he loaded 9.5grns. of Power Pistol. He was shooting 185grn. SWC and that's what a chart says to use.I saw that too but can't remember where I saw it. He was shooting a Sig, non polymer, and he said had it been a polymer, he might have suffered some real damage to his hand.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Seems like where ever he got his info from might be getting some calls about personal damages due to their specs they recommend.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tommy,
    Glad you found the desired load using Power Pistol.

Its a decent powder and usually available ...at least around here.

Jim

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Just goes to show all reloading data is nothing but a guide, not an absolute.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Magnum,

I totally agree with you. Now that Alliant has purchased Winchester and Olin they are going to control the market. I would think that if they were responsible, they should be publishing loading data and NOT just the data that is online. I did get an Alliant book and it says the same thing as the internet, therefore, I would not trust what they are saying. I am going to stick to my Lyman's Reloader book specs and load according to their data. I would think that Alliant's company attorneys would be putting out all kinds of data so they can CYA but evidently they are saying to :load at your own risk. That has always been true, but for God's sake, give me some guidelines.

Tommy

6. hodge

hodge New Member

Glad you are safe, of sound mind, and able to get out every week! I would love to, but EVERYTHING comes up when I make a plan to go shooting. This past weekend, a clog in the sink drain, leading to digging the yard up and finding the clog. That's fixed, but I didn't get to go shooting. Positive- it was dry, beautiful, 70 degree weather, perfect for digging. Negative- it was dry, beautiful, 70 degree weather, perfect for shooting.

My daughter did get to go, though. My dad gave her an early 70's Remington 870 Wingmaster in 12 gauge (perfect condition, well cared for, smooth and beautiful). She ran 50 or so rounds through it, loving every minute of it. It really tickles me that she likes 12 gauge so much. She is fearless, but in a wise way. She also shot a Marlin lever 22 that my friend Doug had with him, which she really enjoyed. She hasn't gotten to run my Henry Golden Boy yet, which I think she will really like. Maybe this pretty weather will hold out, and we will get some range time in over Christmas break.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Hodge,
    I am glad that your daughter loves to shoot. I taught my kids beginning at the age of 7. I started my little brother who lived with me at the age of 12. He in turn has all 3 of his kids (1 boy and 2 girls) shooting whenever they can. The girls love to shoot long rifle at long ranges and I must admit, they do a great job. If all parents done what you are doing, what I have done and my brother has done, I think the world would be in much better shape. Kudos to you for taking the time and patience to train them and take them to the range. I wish more people would do that.

God bless,
    Tommy

8. hodge

hodge New Member

Thank you, Tommy. It is a responsibility AND a joy. I love to shoot, but I enjoy watching them grow, learn, and get better even more! I also cherish the confidence that they know gun safety, they are way ahead of the current curve, they have the ability to protect others and themselves, and that they are responsible. It's a great feeling, ranked just below knowing that they are saved and know their Savior well.