My three week sp101 snub is locking up and not firing

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by teppers, Nov 15, 2014.

1. teppers

teppers New Member

I've had the gun three weeks. Put about two hundred rounds through it. Took it to the range and every few rounds the cylinders locked and wouldn't fire. I was at the place where I bought it so they gave me a work order and will be returning it to tiger for repair. It's my first gun and I'm bummed.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen with my new GP100 Match Champion. I had less than 60 rounds fired when the gun trigger and hammer locked up. Every fourth pull of trigger or the hammer they both locked up. To clear the problem I had to release the cylinder. I believe it has something to do with the release button assembly because if I push in on the release button I get the same lock up action. I sent the gun back to Ruger and sometime next week I should hear from them. I hope they can find the problem since now it seldom locks up like it did before.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014

3. teppers

teppers New Member

I wonder how common a problem this is

4. buster40c

Let us know what Ruger does for repair. Ruger replaced the pawl on mine. I hope I don't have any more problems with it.

5. teppers

teppers New Member

I received it back yesterday and had to resend it back today. A gunsmith said the timing was all off. I want a new gun and not another sp101

6. buster40c

Sounds like Ruger didn't really check your gun doesn't it? Did Ruger say what they did for repair to your gun?

7. teppers

teppers New Member

They didn't say anything. I'm very disappointed in ruger as a company.

8. buster40c

I think your gun got pushed into the return pile by mistake. I have never gotten a gun back without the service saying what they replaced or did to the gun. Wasn't there a paper in return box describing the repairs they did?
    For what it is worth I have heard S&W have had a few problems with some of their guns also.
    I would be more than warming the ears at Ruger service. They will make it right. Call the service number yourself and let them know what you think.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  9. teppers

teppers New Member

The gun went to the place where I bought it first. Something tells me I was sold a bad gun. I didn't get any paperwork.

10. buster40c

You bought a new Ruger you should have gotten the gun in a Ruger box and all the Ruger paperwork. Was the gun you bought used and on consignment with the dealer? That could be why you got no Ruger box or paperwork.

Me thinks someone is screwing you. Ask the dealer for the REM number which is the return authorization number. With that number you call 603-865-2442 to find repair status. If you don't have an REM number then call the phone number and give your gun serial number so they can track repairs that way.
    When I called first time I even asked if my gun had ever been sent in for repairs before. That would tell me if the gun had been sold prior to someone else before I bought it. My gun had not been to Ruger before I sent it in.
    Call Ruger Monday first thing A.M. I think Ruger is closed black Friday.
    When you get your gun back look it over real closely to see if anything is faulty. Like my hammer was replaced with a damaged hammer.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  11. teppers

teppers New Member

I'm sorry I think I wasn't clear. I received a ruger box with the gun purchase and when the gun was sent in the first time it had a rma number attached. I think either I got a bad gun or perhaps it was a range gun that the dealer so,d me. I have since learnt that range guns can be sold as new. I was taken either by the dealer, ruger or both.

12. buster40c

Well even if you got a range gun Ruger will still take care of it. Call Ruger Monday with your serial number and ask why you got the gun back with same failure condition as it was when you sent it in the first time. I would still ask if the gun has any history of being repaired before. The SP101 is actually a very good gun, somehow you got a problem one and that does happen from time to time just like my GP100 MC.

13. teppers

teppers New Member

I will. I plan on asking for a gp100 as a replacement. I don't want another sp101 I don't trust the gun any longer.

14. buster40c

I have owned an SP101 327 and I now have an GP100 MC. The GP100 being a heavier gun handles recoil much better and the MC has a really smooth lighter trigger also. I like the GP100 MC much better but it is a bit harder to conceal carry. It is quite a bit bigger gun for sure.
    Let us know what Ruger says.

15. teppers

teppers New Member

I will. I bought a s & w shield for concealed so I'm ok with it being a bigger gun.

16. teppers

teppers New Member

Just got off the phone with ruger and they said they will have to build me a gp100 Mc as a replacement and will send it to me in approximately three weeks. I'm now impressed with the customer service and very happy.

17. buster40c

Well I would like to see if any other gun manufacturer would do that for a customer. You are going to really like the MC. I know Ruger representative didn't argue one bit with me, she just made it right.

18. teppers

teppers New Member

I am impressed. What is so different between the mc and the sp?

19. buster40c

The trigger on the MC is smooth constant pull about 8-10 lb. in double action rather than the 12-14LB or so SP trigger that is anything but a constant smooth pull. Because the gun is heavier the recoil of even the .357 mags is much more pleasant compared to the SP.

20. teppers

teppers New Member

I'm really poking forward to firing the mc