My Ruger American

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by jstanfield103, Jan 2, 2016.

1. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

I have always Loved Ruger but never liked the loaded chamber indicator on their polymer guns. I do know you can get a SR series with out that now but I already had an M&P 9mm so I just never bought it. I noticed Ruger put this new American series out a couple days ago. I watch some YouTube videos on it and decided that I was going to trade my M&P in for the American.
    Went to the LGS today and did exactly that. I did not see them on the shelf so I asked the owner if he had gotten any and he said that he was so busy that he had not put them on the shelf yet. He unboxed the 4 that he received and gave me one of the boxes that was a 9mm. I ended up bringing it home and he kept the M&P.
    Very happy with it. I will get it to the range tomorrow. I like that it comes with three back straps just like the M&P. No Manual Safety and Novak style sights. All Stainless. Great feel in my hand and good overall fit. Only thing that does bother me a little bit is the magazine release. It is a little more proud than the M&P series and I can feel it between my trigger finger and middle finger while my finger is on the trigger. I don't see it as a problem but you know it is there. I put my Streamlight TLR2-HL on it and it fits better than it did on the M&P. So far very happy with it and I have no doubt that it will preform flawless on the range. One more comment about it that they took from SIG, you do not have to strike out or use a lever to disassemble. Lock slide back swing the take down lever and the slide comes right off. Easier than a Glock actually.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Good looking pistola,

Let us know how it runs.

Congrats.

Jim

3. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Love my SR40...picked up an American in 9mm yesterday at the local gunshow.
    In swapping out the backstraps the Large version is a bearcat to remove as compared to the other two but I think it's gonna be the one I use when all is said and done.
    Gene

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Waiting to hear the range results and your views of the gun compared to the M&P.

5. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

I did take it out but only fired one magazine through it Sunday (need to buy some more). It shot to point of aim at 15 yards. I did not notice to much recoil. Is it anything different than the M&P. No not at all, they shoot just about even. It has several things the other companies do not offer.
    Like the SIG P320 does not have removable back straps, the RAP does. The M&P has to be struck out to disassemble or move the lever in the magazine channel. The RAP does not, it is actually easier than a Glock to disassemble. The trigger is crisp with likable take up and very little over travel Approx. 5.5 pounds. The slide rails are nice and long un like some of the other companies and I believe the frame that is in the grip is made from Stainless Steel as is the barrel and slide. One thing that seems to be a problem with the gun, not for me but many people. Is that the knuckle on their thumb is getting nocked when shooting, due to the wide and squared Beavertail. I do not have that problem because I am an old revolver shooter and prefer to lock my thumb down, so it pulls my knuckle away just enough from the beavertail.
    I like the gun and glad I traded the M&P in on it. If I was not such a Ruger fan I would have just kept the M&P probably but I do like Ruger's and give them most of my business when possible.
    I do like that there is no magazine disconnect and No stupid LCI on this gun. Finally Ruger did that right so I could buy it. I refuse to buy a pistol with the LCI. It also has no Manual safety (the manual safety I never did mind though) Gun works good and No complaints, fits my hand well and best of all it is a Ruger and all of thiers are American made.

6. smokier

smokier New Member

McElroy? Was there on Sunday.... Nice selection...

7. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Yep...I was there at the Iowa Firearms Coalition booth helping Dan out a bit. Sat there about an hour or so before I noticed the sign saying that Sieh had them in stock....went over to take a look and he had the one left, shot me a price...mulled it over for a bit....went back with 5 minutes left in the show and "pulled the trigger" on it.:cool:

8. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Hey, how is that show at McElroy? I always go to the Shows at State Fairgrounds, but McElroy is actually a bit closer for me.

9. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Pretty darn good for a "smaller" show...little bit of everything. I've made purchases at DesMoines, CedarRapids, and Waterloo shows.
    This last one was VERY well attended with everyone on pins and needles about what the Obamafueher was going to do.

10. smokier

smokier New Member

:Cooltu:

I like it!

11. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Got to put about 50 rds apiece through the new Ruger and the Sig in a side by side yesterday at CrossRoads Shooting Sports in Des Moines, IA and I love them both!
    The trigger on the Sig Sauer P320 is renowned to be an excellent trigger and in my novice opinion it is a very nice trigger but I have to say that Ruger really hit the trigger on the AMERICAN as well.
    No grit, no staggering, just one sweet smooth motion to the bbreak point....I was hitting as well with one as the other....I tend to drop at least one in a five shot group as I get a bit impatient ;)
    The only issue I had was the grip came loose...or perhaps I forgot to tighten the torx screw on the back strap, which is more likely the case. It allowed a bit of the webbing between my thumb and forefinger to get pinched between the grip and the frame.
    It was jammed pretty good and I didn't feel it was a good time to start gunsmithing the gun on the firing line. I got home and was able to work the grip back into position and set the torx screw to the lock position.
    If the screw stays tight and the grip stays put I'll have to say that Ruger has got quite the product on their hands!

12. smokier

smokier New Member

Nice report. Keep us posted as become more familiar with Ruger girl.

13. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Agree on the good reports, waiting to find out if the grip loosens up again.;)

14. American6-5

American6-5 New Member

I like the American, I want to wait and see how much of a market there is for aftermarket later on.

15. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Looks like next weekend before I'll be back to the range...dropped it off at a local holster maker and it's -10 before the windchill is figured in out there today anyway.
    There's a ton of accessories listed for the RAP on shopruger.com already...they've even added more the lastfew weeks :)

16. American6-5

American6-5 New Member

Like threaded barrels and taller sights?

17. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Not sure, go take a look-see.

18. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Update:

Another range outing over the weekend with my two latest additions to the family...the Ruger American Pistol and the Sig Sauer P320....both performed flawlessly yet again.
    No issues at all with the backstrap coming loose...helps if one remembers to give that little torx screw the 1/4 turn your supposed to [​IMG]
    Accuracy of both is better than I shoot..if I do what is necessary they both are fantastic shooters!