My Remington 30.06 rifle scope help

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Tommycourt, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

As most of you know I had to do some horse swapping and ended up spending $600.00 for 2 rifles and a shotgun. I sold the .22 rifle and ended up selling the 12 ga shotgun and came out with $810.00 and still have the Remington 7600 30.06 rifle. For some strange reason I am not in a hurry to get rid of it and was thinking of putting an old Weaver 4X scope on it. It is already drilled and I believe I have the mounts and some old Weaver rings for it. I have to dig through all my old stuff to find them. Years ago Weaver was kind of the paramount of scopes, however, today they are kind of looked down upon. What would be a good inexpensive scope to put on the rifle without going overboard? Should I use the Weaver (still in original box) or spend a FEW dollars more and try to find something a little better? More than likely, most of my shooting will be from the bench at Rio Salado and it will be more target shooting than anything. In fact I probably won't shoot it much at all unless this country goes out of it's mind. I haven't looked at glass in over 25 years so this will all be new to me. Any suggestions?

Tommy

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Your old Weaver has probably lost its nitrogen. I think you should hound Jim for a recommendation (without letting on that you will hold him responsible).

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tommy, If you don't want to spend over $300 for a top shelf scope, Let me recommend this one.
    I have it on a few of my rifles, and have had them for several years. Lowest mag power is 6.5 so its not too good for short distance.

I like them for 100 yrds + shooting when just having fun, but would not hesitate yo hunt with it either , long distance out to 400 yrds.
    The clarity is excellent , Iv never had bad one, and everything functions great,
    Now if you want to step up a few bucks I'm gonna say Nikon .
    Then Redfields ,Votex, then Leupold , Zeiss, Money goes up a lot.

But for the price..... this Simmons Whitetail cant be beat,

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...-scope-65-20x-50mm-adjustable-objective-matte

Check out how many reviews and how good they are.

*** not reponsible for anything. ***:D

Jim

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Bushnell Trophy is always a decent value. I think the 3x9 can still be had for less than $200. Also I had a Swift 3x9 once, it was pretty good and about the same price as the Bushnell.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I checked out my old Weaver and the glass and lenses are completely clear with a 3" eye relief. Scopes out there are running so high in price that I got sticker shock looking at them on the internet! Evidently there doesn't seem to be a nitrogen loss on the scope, but I will have to get another mounting bracket. I have some old Weaver rings and have to make sure that they fit. Years ago, I had a little money then and bought a Zeiss scope (12X) for a .223 Remington BDL "Hunter's Special", they called it but like a dumb azz, I ended up selling it. But for all the hunting I did over the years I always stuck to the Weaver 4X 40mm or a Redfield 3X9 40mm and I hunted elk and mulies back then. I might try the Weaver first and then if it doesn't work, go by Jim's suggestion. This is not really going to be a hunting rifle, more like a paper puncher and a once in a while rifle. I can get down pretty easy but getting back up from the prone position, I need a cherry picker.

Tommy

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Jeez Tommy, you need to find a range with shooting benches. Hey, why not go spend a month or two with Jim; he has benches.

BTW I suspect your cherry was picked a long time ago.

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I've had good luck with both Bushnell and Simmons.

8. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Here we go with the leg pulling stint again. Bob can't let a sleeping dog lie and he were gentle and open his heart like I open mine. But he ain't! Ok for you Bob, just ok for you. My left leg is now 4" longer than it was. I would be careful cuz paybacks are a mutha!!!!
    Ok for you Bob, Ok for you!!!!:hammer:

Tommy

Jim, can't you control that ole codger? You're the one who gets him started.

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Well Jim that was right nice of you to invite us all over for a few months. :D

Tommy, you can pick me up as you pass thru Texas.... VT, We'll meet you at Jim's place.

The three of us together, what could go wrong? We'll have a high old time!!!
    (Jim, you got home owners insurance, right)?

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

??
    But Tommy, that was a serious - and gentle - suggestion. I too pretty much refuse the prone shooting position, because getting up is difficult and in fact painful. The shooting bench is an old gunner's joy.

I see that Magnum has invited himself in. That's fine by me, but if many more RT'ers join the fun, Jim just may withdraw the invitation. Even if we took up a collection to pay for some of the grub.

12. phideaux

What ....what . I'm sitting here minding my own business and I get in trouble..

leg pull.jpg

Yall don't even think I am serious ...but I'm gonna be disappointed if all of yall dont show up the first weekend in October.
    Happens every year , 40+ guys and gals from all over the US and Puerto Rico , gather at my place for 3 days of shooting, exploding stuff and...OH YEAH lots of eating.

Ill keep my eye open for ya..

This is what it looks like every year..
    Camping on site or, Motels 4 minutes away.

2013.jpg
    range.jpg
    shooting.jpg

Yall come ...ya heaw..

Jim

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I would love to go to Jim's house even if I couldn't be able to shoot cuz there are too many. But just to be with fellow shooters
    and the comrade that goes with it sure would be fun! Buster, I will stop and get you after I get Bob and Jerry and you supply the ammo and the rest of us will provide gas and contribute to the food agenda. Just let Jerry (Magnum) know that you are coming cuz he is an ammo burner and we don't want to disappoint him. VT and I only need about a thousand rounds a piece so that should be no problem for you.

Tommy

14. phideaux

We have kept up with ,who brought what and how much ammo, for a few years,
    Then counted what was remaining when every one got back home.
    Now remember, we always a few LEO with FULL auto's.

A good average shot over 3 days is 60,000 rounds of ammo, each year.
    Not counting shotgun shells at clays, and the tannerite for explosions.:)

Everybody shares all guns and ammo.

Bring a tent and air mattress, or buy a motel room,
    I even got a 4 man tent I don't use..:)

You can shoot any gun I own and I supply the ammo.

Bring enough money to eat 3 days, Saturday, lunch is traditionally catered.
    Campfire chats every night ...swapping lies and "PULLING LEDS "all night.:D:cool:

Don't worry about bringing ammo your first visit ...it will be supplied .:cool:
    Everybody brings WAAAAY more than enough.

Now yall know its more fun watching gun lovers shoot your favorite gun.

See Yall....

:yahoo:
    Jim

15. phideaux

OH, btw, SAFETY is stressed and monitored very closely by everyone.

Never have had any incident whatsoever.
    Very strict range rules .

Jim