My range report

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by Tommycourt, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Today was range day and it was a good one with the .45 SR1911. I was working on my double taps and managed to keep them in a 4" circle. I only fired about 75 rounds today.

Now the situation was different with my new Ruger Mark II 50th anniversary. I used 2 different types of ammo. I shot 50 rounds of Winchester Super X and 50 rounds of Federal. I was having trouble with the Winchesters, holding a good group whereas the Federal's were grouping much better however I had to use a 6 o'clock hold to hit center. My Winchester rounds were all high and not decent groups. Part of that I am sure is the trigger. I am so used to my trigger on my SR1911 because there is very little take up and it goes bang. Part of it could have been my grip and another part could have been the ammo used. I will have to do some experimentation on ammo to see how the .22 digests it. I don't know how many grains on in the Federal rounds because the box showed nothing except fps which was 1200. It really doesn't matter to me because it is my plinker and not a match gun. But as they say- any day at the range is better than not going. I had fun and that's all that counts!

Tommy

Sorry Jim, forgot about this being a sticky and NO, I don't have any pictures in case Savage asks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like a good time Tommy...!!

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hey, you know what they say.....Pics or it didn't happen .
    Sounds like a good day! I've been thinking long and hard about a Ruger mark......I'll try to find a used one, preferably a mk II ..........

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Well Tommy at least your MK II didn't have any misfires or jams. Mk series shoot just about any ammo. It surprised me both my MKs didn't like Aguila ammo. No jams with any other ammo.
    You get used to the trigger and you will think the gun is a tack driver. I didn't think the gun was all that accurate till I shot it a lot. It surprised me how the gun got to be so accurate.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  5. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

It is interesting that your problem is with Winchester ammo. I have been watching a lot of the Hickok45 U-Tube videos, firing a 45ACP, he had a round he thought was only 25% powder charge. The round was from the Winchester White Box ammo and didn't open the slide or cycle the next round.

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Well today was a bang up time. Shot the new to me Sig P226 DAK and I am very pleased with the trigger though I had my doubts if I would like it. The trigger is comparable to my LCR trigger with maybe a slight heavier pull but really is not noticed. The trigger is smooth just like the LCR all the way and just like the LCR I can stop and hold just before the trigger break. I had thought I might go for the Sig sa/da trigger replacement but not now. I am very pleasantly surprised with the trigger as it is. The trigger action is the same all the time unlike my sa/da P226.
    This Sig like my other Sig is so darn accurate and trouble free. Shooting the 40 caliber in this Sig isn't squat for recoil either. If I can keep my focus on the front sight only the gun shoots right on. My biggest problem shooting any gun is letting my concentration drift and then I need a much larger target. Who said turkeys can't fly?
    Shooting was done two handed free standing from 10 yards.
    Anyway this is my second Sig and really liking it.

Attached Files:

7. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Nice report and good shooting. Hard to find fault with a Sig.:D

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Looking good Buster!

9. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Muy bueno!!!!!! Good report. I have 3 MKIIs. Two of them are picky about ammo. One is not.