My Pistol/Revolver/ Lever gun Range in Progress

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by jstanfield103, Mar 31, 2015.

1. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

I have been meaning to set me up a steel plate shooting range for a while. I bought 4 of these plates over a year ago (AR500) and have not had a vacation with good weather for a long time. I took this week off since the weather was suppose to be so nice 75 degrees today and got started on my steel plate range (Rack). When finished (the plates are on the way ) it will have a 12 ", 10", 2X8", 6", 5" , 4" Plates an I have an 8" in my back yard also for 22's only.
    These plates really don't even dent with my 44 Mag. Very happy with it so far. Bottom of plate is tilted towards the back for safety.
    [​IMG]

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Nice looking set up. Wish I could have one like this.
    Tommy

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

It looks good and it does what you made it for. It is nice to be able to walk out the back door and start shooting. I dislike going to shooting ranges and home ranges are great.
    What makes this setup fun is go down the line shooting and then back to number one which still might be moving a little which makes a better challenge.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

I only have one Pistol which is a Ruger LC9S so I can really only go down one way. All my others are revolvers 3 single action ( Beasley Blackhawk 44 Mag, Blackhawk 357 Mag and a OM Single Six ) and one Redhawk in 44 Mag. So really I will not be quick firing to awful much. Mainly just keeping my target sighting skills up to par.
    All though I am not thinking correctly I can use my 7 Lever Guns to go down and back. You are correct, that will be a blast.

5. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

Looks good. Nothing like the sound of bullets hittin steel.

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Looks good.

Man shoots... man needs a good place to shoot.

Old Phideaux proverb....;)

Jim

7. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

Thanks guy's still waiting on my last plate to come, 12". I wrapped the posts in metal due to shrapnel getting embedded into the posts.

8. buster40c

I would like it better if the posts were catching lead rather than covering with metal which could cause lead coming back at me. I shoot into 1.5 yard of sand which works very well for stopping the bullets.

9. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Good looking set up.....

10. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

No fear in the posts sending fragments back at all. I have a 30 foot hill in the back of it. It does not look like it in the back ground but it is a 30 foot hill. The fragments are splatered straight to the side.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  11. phideaux

You got a great set up there, , but can I offer a suggestion for ya, from experience?

When the chains get shot or break off , use rubber belting straps , they hold up really well and you just slide em over the bar or rebar.
    heres a little of what happens in my front yard every year. It took us a while to figure out that the rubber works good.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f101/phidoughs-2014-shoot-260159/index120.html

Jim

12. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

Jim,
    Thank you very much. The link did not work for me it wanted me to register. I have read really good reviews on using conveyer belts but right now over the lest week I have shot over 500 rounds of 44,357 and 38's and have yet hit a chain. For me I have had two bolt heads shot off though, definitely going to go with grade 8 bolts as soon as I can find some and washers also.

13. phideaux

Sorry about the link.

Heres 2 pics of the shoot from last year in my front yard.

You can see the steel on rubber.

From now on all steel will be at 50 yrds. We had 2 schrapnel incidents last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim

14. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

Jim I have my chains approx. .75" to 1 " from the back of the plate making it angle downward just a bit. Do you have yours angled towards the ground ? I angled mine down towards the ground after shoot a Single Six approx. 30 yards away and got a come back at me and hit me in the forehead (Piece of shrapnel). After angling them towards the ground have had no more problem so I am interested how you have yours set up ?

15. phideaux

Yes , I have all my steel at an angle, and when the shooting starts , the spall digs trenchs in the ground.

I think my guys are shooting the steel on the swing back and causes fly back.
    Thats why we NOW keep it at 50 yrds, and also are going to require eye protection anytime your on the firing line.

a hit in the eye would be devastating.

I think your setup is good, not for 10-30 shooters, but for 2-3 guys , its perfect. Just keep your distance and maybe change out the chains for rubber belting.

Jim

16. buster40c

I use oak wedges hanging from wires from a cross pvc tube all backed by 1.5 yards of sand and that backed by 4x6 oak planks. I have a roll of freezer paper that I spray paint a bulls eye stencil onto.
    Granted this sure isn't like Jim's weekend commando shoot but it sure beats going to the range to shoot.

Attached Files:

17. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

Jim, thanks for the reply and that range of yours is awesome. I only have one person at a time shooting on mine. All revolvers so far and Lever guns. I have shot at the swinging target but after hearing from you I will probably shoot other plates while the ones already shot quit swinging. Good advice and much appreciated. It is just really my personel range for me and family and friends to come over and enjoy while I am there. great fun and a great investment.
    Love yours.
    Buster40c, looks like it works and like you mine is better than finding a range some where and if you have the land than why not.