Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Been wanting a 22 mag. My brother picked this used one up for me. It is the Ruger American 22wmr in the compact edition. I have ordered a high cheek comb and added a Vortex Diamondback scope 3x8. Shoots better than I can see.
I just recently purchased the ROSSI RS-22M .22 WMR Semi-Auto with 20" Barrel it was $273.00 out the door at Acadamy Sports they retail for 279.00 but with the Veterans discount it was $273.00 with tax included out the door. Not too bad for a semi-auto I put a 1x4x36 30mm tube scope on it but its accuracy with Winchester bulk 45-grain dyna points at 1125 FPS is not so good. I think I would be better off with the CCI 40 Grain Hollow Point ammo at 1875 FPS I hope to obtain some of this ammo and re-zero soon. I think the accuracy will be improved very much. The 10 Round magazines are easy to load and are well made. Lite weight Stock has a free-floated barrel I prefer the semiauto to the bolt action because a follow-up shot is easy to accurately engage fast-moving coyotes accurately.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun barrel

$273.00 out the door .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Friends what the different between long barrel and short barrel?
Well, to put it simply, the long barrel is longer than the short barrel.LOL. Seriously., I am not certain what you are asking, but barrel length should be matched to the cartridge IMHO. As an example after extensive testing it was determine that there is no value in a barrel longer than 22 in for a .308 rd. It does nothing to enhance performance after that length. However, in some magnum cartridges like a .338 Lapua etc, a barrel length of 24 to 28 inches is useable to get the best performance. As another example the 5.56 or .223 that is used in Ar's was originally designed for barrels in the 20-24 in length. The original m16 was 20 in.. However with the shortening of the barrels to pistol length, the performance of the 5.56/.223 has suffered and hence the move towards things like the .300 Blackout etc for short range engagements. There is no perfect cartridge for everything ,thou my brother would tell you if you can't do it with a 30-06, you are doing something wrong! Lol!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting question from a new member, that does not introduce themselves. Could be a troll but what is the point of the question.? I though the question was more geared to what is an SBR but I could be wrong. Let’s wait and see if there is a follow up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, to put it simply, the long barrel is longer than the short barrel.LOL. Seriously., I am not certain what you are asking, but barrel length should be matched to the cartridge IMHO. As an example after extensive testing it was determine that there is no value in a barrel longer than 22 in for a .308 rd. It does nothing to enhance performance after that length. However, in some magnum cartridges like a .338 Lapua etc, a barrel length of 24 to 28 inches is useable to get the best performance. As another example the 5.56 or .223 that is used in Ar's was originally designed for barrels in the 20-24 in length. The original m16 was 20 in.. However with the shortening of the barrels to pistol length, the performance of the 5.56/.223 has suffered and hence the move towards things like the .300 Blackout etc for short range engagements. There is no perfect cartridge for everything ,thou my brother would tell you if you can't do it with a 30-06, you are doing something wrong! Lol!

To be clear your idea
The beast performance barrel 20-24 in length right

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What type of shooting are you wanting to do? Barrel length is just one variable. The weight of the bullet, the powder charge, the twist rate, the type of bullet, distance to target are just a few questions to answer. On the other end of the barrel is the shooter, is he an old fart like me with poor eyesight and weak muscles. Almost every weapon I own performs better than me. There are few absolutes like a magic barrel length.

·
Registered
58 Posts
To be clear your idea
The beast performance barrel 20-24 in length right
Depends on the cartridge, but a a rule of thumb, yes. If you are using a Winchester 92 style with a pistol cartridge you could probably drop to 16 in minimum and some Trapper models were actually 12 in at one time. Point is, as someone noted, there is no magic length, but cartridges' are designed and tested to perform best at a particular length. Most factory test barrels are 24 in, even though that is not a standard for all riles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What type of shooting are you wanting to do? Barrel length is just one variable. The weight of the bullet, the powder charge, the twist rate, the type of bullet, distance to target are just a few questions to answer. On the other end of the barrel is the shooter, is he an old fart like me with poor eyesight and weak muscles. Almost every weapon I own performs better than me. There are few absolutes like a magic barrel length.
ouch! you hit a nerve reminding me that I too fall into the "old fart" category!LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Depends on the cartridge, but a a rule of thumb, yes. If you are using a Winchester 92 style with a pistol cartridge you could probably drop to 16 in minimum and some Trapper models were actually 12 in at one time. Point is, as someone noted, there is no magic length, but cartridges' are designed and tested to perform best at a particular length. Most factory test barrels are 24 in, even though that is not a standard for all riles.

Good
Give me your opinion
I am going to buy gun what type from ruger you suggest for me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts