My new toy gun

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by allenr, Apr 11, 2017.

1. allenr

allenr Member

Ruger vs. M&P

Since getting off crutches a bit over a week ago I was able to get me on my booted foot to the range for some shooting. I had been considering buying a 22LR for plinking and target shooting. I decided to go the the range and rent some time along with a Ruger SR22 and. M&P 22 Compact to try them out. Being a Ruger owner I rather suspected I would purchase the Ruger, but having read such rave reviews of the [email protected] 22 Compact I thought it prudent to try it. I am glad I did.

I put 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mag round nose through each gun. Both functioned flawlessly. But the M&P just felt better in the hand. The grip is well designed and executed. I decided upon it rather than the Ruger. I checked off the range, turned the guns in, and then went to the retail store and bought an M&P 22 Compact.

Just checked the gun for cleanliness and did s light oil job. It breaks down into its 3 integral parts in about 5 seconds. It goes back together that quickly too. Great design on S&W's part. It is made in America unlike the full size M&P 22.

I have read that the 22 compact is nearly identical in size to the M&P Compact 9 and has the same design. It would be larger than my Lc9s, but I could live with that. The Lc9s does not come close to the M&P in terms of ergonomic feel. I guess I will be looking at the M&P Compact 9 soon.

So I might not be a Ruger owner soon.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Whatever trips your trigger that is what you should go with.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Allen,

If that's what you want and it feels good then buy it. Only person you have to satisfy is yourself.

Tommy

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I agree, the Smiths are ergonomically superior. But as much as I like how the Shield feels in hand, it is just a shade bigger and a few ounces heavier than the LC9s. It doesn't quite conceal as well in a pants pocket. So I stayed with the Ruger. YMMV.

5. allenr

allenr Member

I'll have take a closer look at Ruger 9mm options and research them along with the M&P. If I find something that catches my attention, I will do some comparison shooting with rentals. Also going to read the M&P forum to see what users think of the compact 9. I did that before I bought the paid 22 Compact. Opinions on it were very positive.

Ruger recommendations are welcomed.

6. buster40c

I suggest do a search S&W model number complaints/problems. I had bought a S&W Victory 22lr and then found the take down and scope screw problems afterward. I sold the gun when I got my MKIV 22lr.
    I have found S&W forum fan boys are often very biased and quite a few think Rugers are scrap junk. While I have liked S&W guns I sure don't think Rugers to be inferior junk. S&W sure has had its share of new out of the box problems that required going back to S&W for repairs. Seems the fan boys have blinders to that fact. Many of the new Shields have reported problems.
    I did buy a S&W 627-5 pro that I can't complain about at all. It is my best shooting revolver.

7. allenr

allenr Member

After an hour or so of checking out the S&W and M&P forums I agree with your assessment.

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Buying the gun that fits your hand is THE most important thing as long as it works like it should.
    Plus, a .22 for plinking and a SD gun that both feel about the same in hand... Now that's the ticket!
    Congrats and Happy Shooting to you. :Cooltu:

:usa:

9. allenr

allenr Member

Following Magnum Blachawk's advice I did a lot of research on the S&W M&P 9mm pistols. While they are generally reliable, they do have frequent reports of real dissatisfaction. I rented a M&P 9 compact at my local range and shot it along with my Lc9s. While I likes the ergonomics of my M& P 22 compact more than the Ruger SR22 and the M&P 9c better than the Lc9s I found no advantage when shooting numerous rounds through each gun. I am sticking with the Lc9s.

By no means to I mean to imply that the Ruger SR22 was inferior when fired to the M&P Compact 22. I shot dead on with both of them. It was ergonomics that won out since I am going to greatly increase my recreational target shooting and ergonomics mean a lot when shooting many round frequently.

So I am going to be in the Ruger camp for the foreseeable future. Now I am looking at a gun for varmit shooting. Have gotten very interested in trying it. I will be doing a bit of research on the best guns. My problem is that I have a really destroyed, inoperable right rotator cuff so I will stick to 22 LR to reduce recoil. Now all I have to do is decide upon a Ruger 10/22 or a Charger with some kind of stock option that reduces pressure on the shoulder. Any advice?

I will proabably start a new thread on that topic when I have learned more about mu options.

10. buster40c

I see your point with the LC9s and the M&P. If you can't shoot another gun better then no point in replacing what you have.
    The FN 5.7 is a good gun with recoil being like a 22lr. The gun reminded me of a squirt gun it is so light and all plastic. They are expensive and since I couldn't hit the side of a barn while standing inside the barn I sold mine off. Evidently it just didn't fit my hand right for me to be accurate with it. Like Mag said hand fit is most important.

11. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

allenr, I am glad you will now have time to shoot more. Here the price of 22lrs are about $40 per 300. That is about 7 cents a round, 9mm is $13.00 for 50 or 3.8 cents a round. Cheaper to shoot 9mm.;)

12. allenr

allenr Member

I hear you Oldhand. Non Preminger 9mm is really really inexpensive in bulk pack, but he in SE PA I can bulk pack 22LR for half the cost of 9mm. Of course you have to buy when you find it because folks have come to be hoarding it.

But 22 suits my need volume shooting need for a different reason. I have severe arthritis in the base thumb joint in both hands. My base knuckle on the left hand is almost totally worn away to the extent I have very limited grip. That knuckle on my right hand (dominant hand) is deteriorating too, but not as severe as the left.

My hand Doc is a pistol shooter. He knows I shoot too. Whe I told him I was going to do more target shooting he asked what caliber. I told him 9mm. He pointed out the the recoil of the 9 would damage the base knuckle on my right hand and cause more rapid deterioration of thatknuckle which races a lot of the recoil shock. He recommended I soot 22 for target fun. I bought into that because I do not o lose hand strength in my right hand as I have in my left hand. So for me it is 22 for fun and 9mm for killing the enemy. Getting old sucks but is better than the alternative.

13. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Everybody knows I'm a big caliber nut, 460 magnum, 45-70 gov, 300 Win mag....

But Ill tell ya, my most enjoyable, relaxing times on the range are when I take an afternoon , and sit down at the bench with a few .22 rifles , and a half dozen different brands of ammo,
    and
    Strictly shoot targets for accuracy , at 100 yards, or even 50 yards, with 100 yards much more challenging.

cz.jpg

That's 10 shots into 2 1/2 holes.,

Now that's fun.

Jim

14. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Now that's impressive right there!

15. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I see your point allenr, wish you the best of luck. Mild 45 colt or 38Spl full wadcutters are also easy. When shooting the single action, let her role in your hand and it might scare you until you get used to it but it wont hurt. Shot a 454 Freedom Arms and letting it role it didn't hurt but it was sure flipped back.:D