My new Ruger American 9mm pistol...thoughts...

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by bikeride4fun, Feb 29, 2016.

1. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Well this past Saturday I bought a new Ruger American pistol in 9mm. My local shop had both the 9 and 45, but since I already have a few 45's...I went with the 9mm. It's a great looking gun with some really cool features. After trying all of the grips, with my hand size...the small felt the best. I took it to the range yesterday to try it out. It is very accurate and holds a tight group. It took some time to get use to the trigger, but after I got use to it...it is very crisp and works really good. I bought the gun as a range gun and have no plans to make it a EDC, so holsters are not an issue to me. Now for the million dollar question......"Is it better than the SR?".....NO, if I had to choose I would grab my SR anytime....so IMHO...I would not go buying this gun thinking it's better than the SR models. But if you want a fun gun to shoot and add to your collection...The Ruger American is a fine pistol....

Attached Files:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the new Ruger,

Good lookin gun.

Jim

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Good gun review. Can always use another 9 in the collection.
    I wonder if those living in the snow belt ever use a snowman for target practice?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  4. bikeride4fun

Thanks guys.....I am very excited to see what the aftermarket world will offer for this gun......

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I've tried shooting at snowmen with my shotgun, very fun!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  6. bikeride4fun

7. bikeride4fun

For anybody that is interested in my post.....( it's like a ghost town). The more I shoot this gun the more I like it. I installed a Galloway recoil rod and spring and the gun really liked it. Galloway is working on more items for the RAP......it will make it even better....

8. gumpy

gumpy New Member

For some reason I can't get close to 9mm. I can't tell you why, cause I don't know. My sr45 is my go to gun.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

We have the same taste in 45 autos; only two things I like about 9mm, they take 1/2 the powder and have less recoil.;)

10. buster40c

I like the 45 more than the 9. The 9 has more of a flip recoil whereas the 45 recoil is more of a rear push. I guess I am not the norm because I like shooting the 40 also.
    Glad you are liking the RAP more as you modified it some and shooting it more. Most guns seem to get better the more we shoot them. LOL Then there are some guns that take a total dump the more we shoot them. I "HAD" one of those too.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have to be in agreement. That's a nice looking pistol but my favs are still my SR1911's. I use my LW for EDC, my standard size as my range gun and my other Commander as a safe queen. Was thinking about trading it after running 500 rounds through it but I really don't know what I would replace it with. Guess I will just hang on to it. Tain't loosing any money in the safe nor getting worn out.

Tommy

12. bikeride4fun

I like 45's too.....I like 9mm as a range gun because it's a center fire round at a cheaper price. I like all types of guns, I bought this one to add to my Ruger collection, I think in time this model may replace the SR....just like the SR replaced the P series....

13. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

How much an individual likes a handgun seems to be how it feels in your hand. To me the American is more muzzle heavy than the Sr. As far as what replaces a certain firearm, I think they should have kept the Security Six. To me the best 357 revolver ever made.:)

14. Silverceptor

Silverceptor New Member

I just put 150 rounds through my 9mm American. I love this gun. I was amazed at how little the felt recoil is compared to my LC9S pro. It is so much easier to keep it on target.

15. bikeride4fun

Yea Silverceptor I feel the same way....the more rounds I run through it the better I like it. I just ordered the Galloway striker guide and spring to install in the gun. I put there recoil rod/spring in and it works good.

16. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Any day you can afford to go out and buy a new gun, it is a good day. Personally I lean towards the SR1911's (I have all 3) and I have a Colt Combat Commander in a 1911 platform (9mm). For some reason I lean towards the .45 as that is what we used in the Army back in the mid 60's. I would still like to find an old issue .45 1911 however they are being gobbled up and if you do find one, either it's beat to death and they want funeral prices. And we all know funeral prices rise daily. Lot of money just to let you down. Anyway, I will strive to find one that I can afford and shoot it regardless but it won't be my EDC. My SR LW does that job.

Tommy

17. Lex

Lex New Member

And .45 acp ammo is usually half again as expensive as 9mm.

18. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

I never cared for the SR series, so I bought the M&P. I did not like the SR series because of the LCI on the gun. I refused to buy one. I have always been a Ruger guy so when the American came out I went straight to the LGS and traded the M&P in on the new American.
    I Love the American and just plain Love Ruger. If Ruger makes what I am looking for they are always first on my list. Congratulations on yours.

19. bikeride4fun

Thanks so much jstanfield103 .......I see the thread has become more about 45's. I bought the 9mm RAP because I already had two 45's in my collection, a SR1911 CMD which I love and a P345, which still to this day one of my favorite guns. I only had one 9mm which was a SR9, so I bought the RAP in 9mm and the more I shoot it the better I like it. If the RAP in 45 is as good as the 9mm......it would be a great 45 to add to ones collection........

20. buster40c

Me thinks ^^^ will be buying a RAP in .45. ^^^ He does have a good collection of Rugers going already and will surely be buying more.