Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had traded for a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum (As you all know from my other post's on the subject). I shot it a couple of day's and for my small hands I believe that I will be staying with my 3 Redhawk's and my 2 GP100's . I took the Blackhawk to the LGS yesterday (11-27-2015) and traded it in on a Redhawk in 45acp /45 Colt 4.2" (which fits my hands perfect) and a Henry Rifle in 45 Colt ( Big Boy Steel ). I asked the LGS if he could get the Henry in just a Big Boy and he said he could. I was going to order one when he brought out a .357 Big Boy for comparison. There were things that the steel version had that I really liked over the Big Boy Brass. I liked the swivel studs already mounted (No barrel band) I also thought that me being a reloader that the steel receiver would be stronger. I put them side by side and the profile was exactly the same. So I bought the Steel Big Boy. Very Happy with it.
Took it out to the range and shot dead on at 25 yards without sight adjustment. Now I have to re-sight it in because I found a Skinner Peep sight that I had put away that did not fit any of my rifles at the time. Went right on this Big Boy Steel. I have the plug coming for the rear sight dove tail but currently it is lowered to keep it out of the way. I hope the front sight and Skinner peep are lined up OK. I have the rear peep all the way down and I do believe that is where it needs to be, I will see Sunday 11-29 if the rain lets up. Anyway here are the pictures of the duo.
The Redhawk took just a couple of adjustments and it was right on Great Shooter. Very enjoyable.
By the way I have never had a bad put together Henry. I have not had one for a while, but this one is staying, I have already ordered the loading dies for it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I love, love, love my Bigboy Steel 357! Mine was dead on accurate at 50 yards first time out.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Congrats ,

Great looking pair guns.

Jim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guy's. My Steel Henry was dead on out of the box also. I do Love Skinner sights but they can be very aggravating also. I like the original factory front sight. I hate the Skinner replacement front sights (Ugly to me). Now that I have put the Skinner Peep sight on I am hoping that I can get it low enough to use the original front sight. If not it will probably be coming off. I wish Williams made a sight for this gun or what I should say is that I wish Henry would Drill and tap the side of the receiver for a Williams front sight. If the Skinner does not work ( I think it will work ) I may buy a Williams FP sight and have the local Gunsmith drill and tap the receiver for that sight.
Wish me Luck

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Thanks guy's. My Steel Henry was dead on out of the box also. I do Love Skinner sights but they can be very aggravating also. I like the original factory front sight. I hate the Skinner replacement front sights (Ugly to me). Now that I have put the Skinner Peep sight on I am hoping that I can get it low enough to use the original front sight. If not it will probably be coming off. I wish Williams made a sight for this gun or what I should say is that I wish Henry would Drill and tap the side of the receiver for a Williams front sight. If the Skinner does not work ( I think it will work ) I may buy a Williams FP sight and have the local Gunsmith drill and tap the receiver for that sight.
Wish me Luck
I have been that route, only it takes two of my guns to cover it. The Skinner barrel-mounted peep worked fine on my Taylors&sons/Chiappa 1892 (with the insert removed to make it a ghost ring). My gunsmith installed a Williams FP on my Browning 92, and that, combined with a fiber-optic front sight, works very well. Keep after it jstanfield, it will be a fine thing in the end.

:acool2:

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Very nice JS!!

...but those original grips look small compared to the rest of the gun.

Don't like Pachmayr's or Hogue's...!?

At least for the .45 Colt Loads...

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
On all of my handguns I have Pachmyr grips. They seem to help soak up recoil and make the grip a little bit bigger. Even though I am slight in stature, I have long and skinny fingers. Even in our summertime heat, the Pachmyr's do the job for me. I lied, on my GP 100 I have Hogue grips because that's what they came out with.

Tommy

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guy's every revolver I have sport grips like these. Smaller. I am only 5'5" tall and have smaller hands. The recoil never bothers me and I can manage and shoot very well with the smaller grips. The smaller grips give my length of pull just about perfect. I have all the Hogue grips in the box the gun's came with. Even the fancy wood Hogue grips that came with the GP100 TALO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts