Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a a single action fan. Below is my eleventh one. The fit on the grips was the worst I've ever seen, so when I got it I knew I'd have to make new ones. These are made of bocote.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Very nice. I like them. You made them yourself?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice. I like them. You made them yourself?
Thanks. Yes I made them. I did a lot of research online and a few guys on the forums offered literature and suggestions. It is a tough job. It takes me half a day, not counting finishing.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Very good job, look great.
Lots of sanding, huh.

I have never worked that wood, Bocote,
where is it native to?

Jim

·
Registered
436 Posts
Wish I had the patience for that. LoL Tried a few years ago but just couldn't retain the patience for it. Gotta add medallions.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Love the wood grain and the fit looks very good. I need try making some grips. Give me something to do. They might end up to be small strange shaped ashtrays though.
I am looking for grips for my Taurus 92 and the S&W 627. I like the gray with black designs and think it would look good on the blasted stainless S&W.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very good job, look great.
Lots of sanding, huh.

I have never worked that wood, Bocote,
where is it native to?

Jim
On the Cook Woods website, they say it comes from southern Mexico. I bought it at my local Woodcraft.

When I applied TruOil, it would not dry. After a day I soaked it in acetone for an hour and reapplied, then it would dry. Full of natural oils I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
On the Cook Woods website, they say it comes from southern Mexico. I bought it at my local Woodcraft.

When I applied TruOil, it would not dry. After a day I soaked it in acetone for an hour and reapplied, then it would dry. Full of natural oils I guess.
Here's an (most likely dumb) idea. If you use that wood again, heat the grips a little to bring some oil to the surface, than 'rub vigorously' to make it stay there. Not at all sure that makes any sense.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Excellent job...

Here are the only wood grips I ever made...Zebra Wood installed on a S&W Model 659...

My wood working friend had all the tools in his workshop...I bought the blanks at a flea market...and he guided me through the process..

...a lot of work, and a lot of pride in the finished product:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I thanks for the Sites but they are not interested .

The problem is I have a Magnum Research BFR Revolver .
No one will make grips for this Revolver (I have ask)

Magnum Research dose not have anything to sell or interested in helping the customer find anything .

The BFR comes with big rubber grips that fit NO ONE .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts