My M1's room mate

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by jmohme, Feb 26, 2020.

1. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Sitting right next to my Garand in the gun safe is this FN49 Columbian.

FN49_Columbian.jpg

I just finished fixing a butcher job that a previous owner had done to the front sight/gas tube with a hacksaw, but it's back to near original, and is now ready for a trip to the range.

I am still searching for an original type steel but plate to get this old rifle back 100% original.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  2. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Update: I just found an original butt plate for it.
    It should be here in a few days, and I will post a few more pictures when it is installed.

Pancho_Villa likes this.

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I had one years ago. Guy that owned it said it did not work right. It would only fire one shot at a time and had to be manually cycled. I failed to tell him it had some kinda gas control switch of some kind on it to go from semi to single and back. So, I got it cheap and it worked. It was a big semi auto rifle in 8mm Mauser. Ten round, non detachable mag. Well, it could be detached, but was designed to be loaded through the top of the rifle.

Good shooter, but I sold it when I got an H&K 91 in .308 with a more modern detachable box mag, P grip, etc. Still have one of those, but wish I had the old 49 also.

4. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

The switch on the front is actually to divert the gas and operate a grenade launcher, and I am glad you brought it up because I am not sure if I installed it in the right direction when I put it all back together.
    Gotta check into that tomorrow.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  5. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Checked and it was in correctly.
    Better safe!

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  6. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

The gas switch on the 49 did not make much sense to me at the time, until I got my first Yugo SKS with the grenade lancer gas switch.