Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my latest Ruger I bought:

I will replace the handguards, for the stock ones have no heat shield, and I might add a small red dot, but that is it.

When I finally get to the club to sight it in, I will post a range report. We will see how Ruger does the AR platform! ;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I wasn't exactly expecting the same level of performance as my other two, but for what I have in this one, then "cookie-cutter" will do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, I wasn't exactly expecting the same level of performance as my other two, but for what I have in this one, then "cookie-cutter" will do.
I think you might be surprised, amigo. My 556 has performed flawlessly and consistently hit steel at 300 yards and 1 MOA groups at 100 yards all day with several of those being clover leafs. Enjoy, imho it’s a ton of rifle for the money.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont know what your other two are, but I dont really know why you dont expect the same level of performance. The Ruger is a good one.
I have a Colt HBAR, that I have had for quite a while, and a Daniel Defense DDM4. One of my older brothers has the Ruger, and after shooting his, I was impressed enough to buy one.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well....it ain't no DDM4V1. Daniel Defense makes a fine rifle. But you can probably buy three Rugers for the one Daniel Defense!

The Colt out classes it too, but not as much. The Ruger is really a fine rifle. Most everyone I know that has one likes it. The 3 most common budget AR's around here seem to be the Ruger, S&W, and DPMS. I would choose the Ruger out of those three.

Question for you? What made you go with a budget gun seeing that you own a premium one in the Daniel Defense? My AR's are all Frankenguns. All but one are built from budget parts. One is a premium build. It came with a premium price, but you can tell the difference as soon as you heft it. I was once asked who could tell the difference. My answer was "I can". I have not really been satisfied with the others since I built it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well....it ain't no DDM4V1. Daniel Defense makes a fine rifle. But you can probably buy three Rugers for the one Daniel Defense!

The Colt out classes it too, but not as much. The Ruger is really a fine rifle. Most everyone I know that has one likes it. The 3 most common budget AR's around here seem to be the Ruger, S&W, and DPMS. I would choose the Ruger out of those three.

Question for you? What made you go with a budget gun seeing that you own a premium one in the Daniel Defense? My AR's are all Frankenguns. All but one are built from budget parts. One is a premium build. It came with a premium price, but you can tell the difference as soon as you heft it. I was once asked who could tell the difference. My answer was "I can". I have not really been satisfied with the others since I built it.
Well, honestly, I don't know for sure. I just really love the AR platform, and I kinda wanted one that I could kinda just "knock around" with, without fussing over a scratch here or there.

Also, I wanted to be able to arm each person in our home, with a rifle of this type...just in case.

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
I unfortunately have a few Ruger AR lowers that I can no longer build that I wanted to due to new C.A. laws

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well, honestly, I don't know for sure. I just really love the AR platform, and I kinda wanted one that I could kinda just "knock around" with, without fussing over a scratch here or there.

Also, I wanted to be able to arm each person in our home, with a rifle of this type...just in case.
Understand. Maggie, my beater. Named because of the Magpul Furniture
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

The blue one is Virdie. Named in honor of my late father and painted to match his truck. The Purple one is Plum Crazy, named because I want a plum crazy(which is the name of a Chrystler paint color) Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda. A purple rifle is as close as I will ever get.
Green Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Then there is Flashbang. You can probably guess how it got its name.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

And my premium build. J.D. Hogg. Pig gun par excellence. No longer has the scope, wears a set of Daniel Defense irons.
Camouflage Military camouflage Machine gun Air gun Trigger

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Understand. Maggie, my beater. Named because of the Magpul Furniture
View attachment 11770
The blue one is Virdie. Named in honor of my late father and painted to match his truck. The Purple one is Plum Crazy, named because I want a plum crazy(which is the name of a Chrystler paint color) Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda. A purple rifle is as close as I will ever get.
View attachment 11772
Then there is Flashbang. You can probably guess how it got its name.
View attachment 11776
And my premium build. J.D. Hogg. Pig gun par excellence. No longer has the scope, wears a set of Daniel Defense irons.
View attachment 11778
Nice! Bet ole "Flashbang" is a hit at the range....as long as you double up on the hearing protection! Lol.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Nice! Bet ole "Flashbang" is a hit at the range....as long as you double up on the hearing protection! Lol.
About all it's good for though.

It started life with an A2 flash suppressor and a carbine length rail. An afternoon of shooting and a burned finger from the flash instigated a swap to a linear compensator and a mid length rail. It still lights up the range, but at least it blows everything forward rather than engulfing the front end of the pistol.

If you decide to build one, do yourself a favor and chamber it for 300 BLK, not 223/5.56.

This was the inspiration for the build. I never much cared for the AR pistol, but I likes the looks of this one. My original build before the mid length rail looked very much like this.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine gun

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is my latest Ruger I bought:

I will replace the handguards, for the stock ones have no heat shield, and I might add a small red dot, but that is it.

When I finally get to the club to sight it in, I will post a range report. We will see how Ruger does the AR platform! ;)
Well, my wife and I shot this Ruger this morning, and as long as I was using brass ammo, it shot very well...100%. I tried running some Wolf steel through it, and it will not strip the next round from the PMags I have, or from a USGI magazine either. My other two run the Wolf just fine, and it did run the brass from Federal, Winchester, and Fiocchi...no dice with the Wolf. Strange.

Did a 50 yard zero with the irons, and the best group I could get with my "older" eyes was around 1.5 MOA. Good enough with irons, but not as good as I can do with my DD or Colt. I guess that's why they were well north of a grand, versus the Ruger, but the Ruger ran "government good-to-go", and that is what I expected.

Cheers! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts