My latest Ruger.

Discussion in 'Ruger Photos' started by rugertoter, Jul 31, 2018.

1. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

This is my latest Ruger I bought:
    [​IMG]
    I will replace the handguards, for the stock ones have no heat shield, and I might add a small red dot, but that is it.

When I finally get to the club to sight it in, I will post a range report. We will see how Ruger does the AR platform! ;)

jbardellini and 0311 like this.
  2. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Should perform like all the rest of the cookie-cutters......good luck.

rugertoter likes this.

3. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Well, I wasn't exactly expecting the same level of performance as my other two, but for what I have in this one, then "cookie-cutter" will do.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I dont know what your other two are, but I dont really know why you dont expect the same level of performance. The Ruger is a good one.

rugertoter likes this.
  5. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

I think you might be surprised, amigo. My 556 has performed flawlessly and consistently hit steel at 300 yards and 1 MOA groups at 100 yards all day with several of those being clover leafs. Enjoy, imho it’s a ton of rifle for the money.

rugertoter likes this.
  6. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

I have a Colt HBAR, that I have had for quite a while, and a Daniel Defense DDM4. One of my older brothers has the Ruger, and after shooting his, I was impressed enough to buy one.

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Well....it ain't no DDM4V1. Daniel Defense makes a fine rifle. But you can probably buy three Rugers for the one Daniel Defense!

The Colt out classes it too, but not as much. The Ruger is really a fine rifle. Most everyone I know that has one likes it. The 3 most common budget AR's around here seem to be the Ruger, S&W, and DPMS. I would choose the Ruger out of those three.

Question for you? What made you go with a budget gun seeing that you own a premium one in the Daniel Defense? My AR's are all Frankenguns. All but one are built from budget parts. One is a premium build. It came with a premium price, but you can tell the difference as soon as you heft it. I was once asked who could tell the difference. My answer was "I can". I have not really been satisfied with the others since I built it.

rugertoter likes this.
  8. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Well, honestly, I don't know for sure. I just really love the AR platform, and I kinda wanted one that I could kinda just "knock around" with, without fussing over a scratch here or there.

Also, I wanted to be able to arm each person in our home, with a rifle of this type...just in case.

greg_r likes this.
  9. jbardellini

jbardellini Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I unfortunately have a few Ruger AR lowers that I can no longer build that I wanted to due to new C.A. laws

10. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Understand. Maggie, my beater. Named because of the Magpul Furniture
    20180422_140833.jpg
    The blue one is Virdie. Named in honor of my late father and painted to match his truck. The Purple one is Plum Crazy, named because I want a plum crazy(which is the name of a Chrystler paint color) Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda. A purple rifle is as close as I will ever get.
    20180729_154326.jpg
    Then there is Flashbang. You can probably guess how it got its name.
    20170325_182355.jpg
    And my premium build. J.D. Hogg. Pig gun par excellence. No longer has the scope, wears a set of Daniel Defense irons.
    20170219_084023.jpg

rugertoter and Fireman22 like this.
  11. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Nice! Bet ole "Flashbang" is a hit at the range....as long as you double up on the hearing protection! Lol.

12. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

About all it's good for though.

It started life with an A2 flash suppressor and a carbine length rail. An afternoon of shooting and a burned finger from the flash instigated a swap to a linear compensator and a mid length rail. It still lights up the range, but at least it blows everything forward rather than engulfing the front end of the pistol.

If you decide to build one, do yourself a favor and chamber it for 300 BLK, not 223/5.56.

This was the inspiration for the build. I never much cared for the AR pistol, but I likes the looks of this one. My original build before the mid length rail looked very much like this.
    38273d1488968440-ar-15-handgun-home06.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    rugertoter likes this.
  13. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Well, my wife and I shot this Ruger this morning, and as long as I was using brass ammo, it shot very well...100%. I tried running some Wolf steel through it, and it will not strip the next round from the PMags I have, or from a USGI magazine either. My other two run the Wolf just fine, and it did run the brass from Federal, Winchester, and Fiocchi...no dice with the Wolf. Strange.

Did a 50 yard zero with the irons, and the best group I could get with my "older" eyes was around 1.5 MOA. Good enough with irons, but not as good as I can do with my DD or Colt. I guess that's why they were well north of a grand, versus the Ruger, but the Ruger ran "government good-to-go", and that is what I expected.

Cheers! :)

greg_r likes this.