Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, my dad got the desire to shoot his Glock so I took him to the range for an afternoon of shooting. He is getting up there in age (no offense to any of the forum’s senior members) and the fact he now has a pace maker/defibrillator made him a little leery of shooting the .40, but he did, for a few rounds. Unfortunately, he discovered that it had too much of a kick for him now.

Not wanting to give up with shooting, we went to the local gun shop the very next day and he purchased an SR22. A couple of days later, we went back to the range and after about 250 rounds, decided to call it a day. He loves the SR22. I enjoyed it too, but I won’t lie, I was a little jealous because he got a new plinker.

On the way home from work tonight, I stopped at the gun shop and low and behold, there in the display case was a used Mark II for sale. It took about 30 seconds of it in my hand before I decided to purchase it.

Boy, the Mark II feels great. Heavy, but in a comforting, solid way that I hope results in hours of fun target shooting. In anticipation of time at the range, I also bought two boxes of Remington Golden Bullets and to my surprise, the shop threw in a free Allen pistol case.

I’m off to print up the manual from the Ruger website and maybe I’ll stop by the range tomorrow after work.

I’d love to hear any stories, tips, or cautionary tales about the Mark II if anyone is willing to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Don't really know much about the MK II, as I'm not big on .22 handguns for my own use, but my 80-some-year old Dad has a MK III and enjoys shooting it. It's a big ol' heavy hunk of steel, good quality, pretty accurate, decent trigger, and I think if a shooter can't handle a centerfire pistol any more, it's a great choice both for fun and for a house gun. After all, the first rule of gun fighting is to have a gun, even if it's "just a .22"...

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Back in my young and foolish days I used to shoot the heads off snakes with one, just point like a finger, great gun.;)

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Congrats to you and your dad on the new acquisitions ...

I have both and enjoy both.
The SR22 is a fun plinker, and MY Mark II is a true target pistol...very accurate out to 50 yards.

I bet your gonna enjoy both, and I love to look at em.;):)

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Jim

Attachments

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Years ago I had several Ruger Mark II's and found them to be excellant shooters. Course my weren't as fancy as Jim's cuz I didn't have a scope on mine but I did a lot of block shoots with it and tried some bowling pin shoots but it was quite suited for that. We did shoot a lot of snakes and frogs though and had a blast doing it. And we played roll the can quite a bit and that was a blast. I don't think you hurt yourself a bit getting that Mark and I KNOW it will give you years of pleasure. If one came along that I could afford, I would have it now.

Tommy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ruger SR22 is my favorite. It not only suits in my hand but also makes me feel comfortable holding this weapon. It is also an excellent purchase for CCW. I don't know much about other MKII guns. Ruger is my favorite and I would buy guns from this company only.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Congrats....love the Mark series guns.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
My new gun - Ruger LCT

I'm a huge fan of Ruger guns and I have 4 guns of Ruger brand. In future also, I am very sure to own Ruger firearms as a concealed weapon.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have had my Mark II for over 20 years and it has been one of the best guns I ever owned and wouldn't even think of selling it. I also have the SR22 and I have to say the Mark is more accurate.
Read your manual for doing a total strip down cleaning. You have to hold your tongue just right sometimes to get it back together. That there is possibly the only complaint about the Mark series 1 and 2. Many that have bought the Mark III like the Mark 1 and 2 better.

Attachments

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Buster,

Just out of the goodness of my heart, I will offer you $10.00 for that old Ruger. Think of the joy that you will sustain knowing I have one of your keepsakes and something that I will cherish forever. Just box that old thing up and ship it to me (not collect though) and you will have my I.O.U. in the mail just as soon as I get the pistol. I made a similar offer to Jerry-Magnum- and he is still trying to find a good box to send his to me- I think....hhmmmmmm. I need to check and see what the hold up there is.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I suspect that both Magnum and Buster are reluctant to send sentimental favorites into your corrosive climate. Magnum has told me that you refuse to put his gun down in cosmoline.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Hey Buster, I'll do one better than Tommy and offer $33 for all three of those rugers. See, that breaks down to $11 per gun, which is a better deal! I'll even provide you with the shipping boxes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts