My first revolver...SP101

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by bikeride4fun, Mar 31, 2013.

1. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Wow after all these years I bought my first revolver......A Ruger SP101 357....I have shot a few revolvers before but always owned semi autos.....I have to say this revolver thing is pretty cool.....This gun feels great and like all Rugers...just a beautiful gun....I have a feeling this is not going to be my last revolver...:)

Attached Files:

2. Will

Will New Member

Very nice.

Next you need the GP100 for the pair. Then on to the Super Redhawk to complete the set.

3. bikeride4fun

Thanks Will.....I have already been thinking that...lol

4. bikeride4fun

This has to be the saddest forum I have ever been on.......When I see post of new guns.....I always try to post something positive about it......If somebody takes the time to post a pic....makes me think there very proud of it.....oh well.....life on RugerTalk

5. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

That's a sweet SP! I love the looks of them much more than my LCR. Is it going in the CC rotation?

6. Dman23

Dman23 New Member

I have the same one. And a 3 inch. Got the 3 inch first, and a taurus 650. Both 357. The 3 inch for my trai gun and backup CCW, but liked the sp101 so much and happen to come across a 2 inch like yours, so traded the taurus for it.

I put XS front night sight on both, and was a HUGE improvement both daytime and night. I highly recomend it!!

You will love that sp101. Of all the revolvers i have looked at, the sp101 is just a well built tank. Maybe a bit heavy, but it makes the 357s standable.

Also on my 3 inch, i put rubber hogue grips on it. MAJOR difference in the hotter load handling. Night and day if i dare say. With the 2 and 3 inch and stock grips, 357 loads are not much fun for me. With the hogues, i can shoot it all day.

The 2 inch i am still figuring out what grips i want. Hogues are a little much for conseal carry. May just keep the stocks since it will mainly shoot 38s.

7. tater

tater New Member

SWEET!!

I want the .22

8. bikeride4fun

Thanks everybody....never really thought of it as my CCW. I do have a Houge grip comong for it. Going to try to shoot it this Monday. This is already making me want another revolver....but going to have to let my wallet recover.....lol

9. boa49

boa49 New Member

That is my Jeep gun. It lives there. I love it.

10. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

Very nice! I have no doubt it will bring a smile to your face.:)

11. bikeride4fun

Thanks....love this gun.......

12. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I bet you will be putting the Hogue grips on real quick. My SP101 .327 would about pulverize my hand with the stock grips. I put Hogues on it and it was so so much better. I bet your .357 will be even a little more recoil action than my .327.
    IMO the SP101 is a fine looking revolver and built like a tank toughness.
    I couldn't tell you liked Rugers.

13. bikeride4fun

Thanks buster40c.....yeah your right, I put a Hogue grip and a Hi-Viz sight on the front. The gun does like to jump around, but fun to shoot. There other evening I purchased a box of 38 Special to try.....but I have a feeling the 357 stuff is more exciting to shoot.....lol

14. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

You'll definitely notice the difference between Hogue grips and the stock SP-101 grips, especially with magnum loads. They truly tame the felt recoil and make it easier to control your wheelgun.

15. bikeride4fun

Yeah EasyCZ it made a big difference......I will put up a pic with the new grip and sight on it this evening.......

16. bikeride4fun

Here are a few pics of my SP101 with a new Hogue/Ruger grip and the Hi-Viz green sight....

Attached Files:

17. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

I have a revolver Question The revolvers that take 38+P/ 357 Magnum. I am going to ASSUME that it is not an interchangeable option.... You actually order the gun for the ammo you want, and that's IT. Let me know if i am wrong.

18. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

Kde71450
    A 38 spcl will shoot 38spcl
    A 357 will shoot 357/38+p+/38+p/38 spcl
    Hope this helps

19. bikeride4fun

That's it.....I shot some 38spcl and 357 in the gun. The 38spcl were light target loads and had a lot less recoil.....

20. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

If a 38 special revolver doesn't state 38+P on the barrel then it probably should only shoot 38 special ammo. The 38+P could cause the gun to crack or explode.
    The 357 like was said can shoot any type 38 or 357.
    Yep there is a heck of a difference from target 38 loads and 357 in recoil. That's why people usually do most target shooting with the 38 special loads. 357 round mostly for self defense round.