Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow after all these years I bought my first revolver......A Ruger SP101 357....I have shot a few revolvers before but always owned semi autos.....I have to say this revolver thing is pretty cool.....This gun feels great and like all Rugers...just a beautiful gun....I have a feeling this is not going to be my last revolver...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very nice.

Next you need the GP100 for the pair. Then on to the Super Redhawk to complete the set.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Will.....I have already been thinking that...lol

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This has to be the saddest forum I have ever been on.......When I see post of new guns.....I always try to post something positive about it......If somebody takes the time to post a pic....makes me think there very proud of it.....oh well.....life on RugerTalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same one. And a 3 inch. Got the 3 inch first, and a taurus 650. Both 357. The 3 inch for my trai gun and backup CCW, but liked the sp101 so much and happen to come across a 2 inch like yours, so traded the taurus for it.

I put XS front night sight on both, and was a HUGE improvement both daytime and night. I highly recomend it!!

You will love that sp101. Of all the revolvers i have looked at, the sp101 is just a well built tank. Maybe a bit heavy, but it makes the 357s standable.

Also on my 3 inch, i put rubber hogue grips on it. MAJOR difference in the hotter load handling. Night and day if i dare say. With the 2 and 3 inch and stock grips, 357 loads are not much fun for me. With the hogues, i can shoot it all day.

The 2 inch i am still figuring out what grips i want. Hogues are a little much for conseal carry. May just keep the stocks since it will mainly shoot 38s.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody....never really thought of it as my CCW. I do have a Houge grip comong for it. Going to try to shoot it this Monday. This is already making me want another revolver....but going to have to let my wallet recover.....lol

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks....love this gun.......

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I bet you will be putting the Hogue grips on real quick. My SP101 .327 would about pulverize my hand with the stock grips. I put Hogues on it and it was so so much better. I bet your .357 will be even a little more recoil action than my .327.
IMO the SP101 is a fine looking revolver and built like a tank toughness.
I couldn't tell you liked Rugers.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks buster40c.....yeah your right, I put a Hogue grip and a Hi-Viz sight on the front. The gun does like to jump around, but fun to shoot. There other evening I purchased a box of 38 Special to try.....but I have a feeling the 357 stuff is more exciting to shoot.....lol

·
Registered
907 Posts
You'll definitely notice the difference between Hogue grips and the stock SP-101 grips, especially with magnum loads. They truly tame the felt recoil and make it easier to control your wheelgun.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah EasyCZ it made a big difference......I will put up a pic with the new grip and sight on it this evening.......

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are a few pics of my SP101 with a new Hogue/Ruger grip and the Hi-Viz green sight....

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a revolver Question The revolvers that take 38+P/ 357 Magnum. I am going to ASSUME that it is not an interchangeable option.... You actually order the gun for the ammo you want, and that's IT. Let me know if i am wrong.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Kde71450
A 38 spcl will shoot 38spcl
A 357 will shoot 357/38+p+/38+p/38 spcl
Hope this helps

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's it.....I shot some 38spcl and 357 in the gun. The 38spcl were light target loads and had a lot less recoil.....

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
If a 38 special revolver doesn't state 38+P on the barrel then it probably should only shoot 38 special ammo. The 38+P could cause the gun to crack or explode.
The 357 like was said can shoot any type 38 or 357.
Yep there is a heck of a difference from target 38 loads and 357 in recoil. That's why people usually do most target shooting with the 38 special loads. 357 round mostly for self defense round.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts