My first hand gun!

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by starlily, Jan 14, 2015.

1. starlily

starlily New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1421228194.686990.jpg hey y'all! I'm new here and this is my first ever gun lol. The lcr 38spl. I'm in love with it. Any advice would be welcome. :)

2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Congrats....great wheel gun. If your going to carry it, get plenty of practice and get familiar with it.

3. starlily

starlily New Member

Thank you! I'm so excited. I tried so many different revolvers before this one, and none felt comfortable in my hand. So I picked this up and it just felt right. The trigger feels amazing to me compared to the others. I'm super stoked to learn to shoot.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hi Starlily,
    Welcome to RugerTalk,

You picked the perfect 1st handgun,
    My wife carrys an LCR38 , and we both love it.

Practice, a lot. Try some +P ammo , just to get the feel , once you have perfected your grip and are comfortable with it.

Congrats.

Jim
    btw, NEVER have your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.;)

5. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Snubbies aren't the easiest or most fun guns to shoot, especially for beginners.

I suggest you find an NRA or similar "Intro to handguns for women" type of class. It will give you hands-on experience with a variety of handguns, including revolvers.

Get trained. Practice, practice, practice and have fun! Congrats on your first gun!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  6. starlily

starlily New Member

She was telling me to pull the trigger lol. It was empty. :) I am looking for a beginner class! I want to get really comfortable at shooting it, and then get my cpl. I'd really just like to open carry though. I am so excited! I feel like y'all will help me a bunch lol.

7. Raineydaydog

Raineydaydog New Member

Great choice, and you'll have no trouble with 38 special, snubby or not. The round has been around for 100+ years and is "plenty medicine" for EDC.

8. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

Get some professional training, get lots of practice ammo. Have fun.

(try to stay away from purse holsters) My wife opted for a Bra holster for her G26

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Congrats Starlily...!!

Ideas...

1. Making sure the firearm is UNLOADED...take the firearm and pull the trigger about 100 times to smooth out the trigger/sear action.

2. Make sure to lube as directed in the owners manual. When not in use...wipe down with a silicon cloth or rag to keep rust and fingerprints off.

3. Buy some practice ammo ( FMJ= Full Metal Jacket...also called Ball ammo ) and practice at typical self defense distances.

4. Buy a few boxes of Premium ammo to carry for self defense...testing a few cylinders to see where it prints on a human size target at self defense distances ( 5 to 10 feet )

May I suggest you try Hornady Critical Defense ( HP= Hollow Points )...as a starting point. One of the best manufacturers in the business.

Let us know how you make out...

10. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the wonderful world of firearms!
    Do some good research on a good firearms trainer in your area. They are worth every penny! Well, the good ones are ;)
    There are some great Woman's shooting groups out there. Just DON'T take credentials as your only reason for taking a class with someone. They are not all created equally. If taken classes with instructors that were "certified" with multiple places and credentials that I actually left the class due to safety and lack of knowledge.
    I highly recommend buying and reading The Cornered Cat. I bought it on amazon for my kindle app but they sell a hard copy too. It will give you A LOT of useful information (for woman) and Resourses. Covers everything from firearm safety to calibers, holsters and a lot more. All for woman and a bit of humor too. ;)
    The Well Armed Woman is another great resource. They sell all kinds of good stuff and have woman's shooting groups too. On their website they have a place to find chapters in your area.
    We have a Woman's section on the forum also. PM me if you'd like to check it out and I'll get you approval. :)
    Enjoy your new pistol and be safe. :)

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Reply...

This is how one spells RIDICULOUS !!

...I was offering the lady some advice, so keep your comments to yourself... Major Pain !! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  12. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

It's ok Shooter!! She's a smart cookie :) She knows. She doesn't want to turn into one of the ding dongs you see on YouTube ;) He didn't even say to be sure of what's BEHIND your target ;) Lol!

13. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Starlily,

I know that you will get all the help you want, and need here , dont be shy about asking questions..

DoubleR will jump right on it.. :waving:

:spot:

Jim

14. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Read your gun manual !! One very important thing about revolvers is don't ever place any part of your body such as fingers, hand or arm beside or next to the cylinder to barrel spacing. You can lose flesh from the side blast of powder pressure escaping from this area of the gun. Just in case you didn't know that. Also WEAR HEARING PROTECTION! Forewarning....shooting +P ammo will give quite a bit of recoil from that lightweight gun.
    The LCR does have a fantastic trigger and I understand your choosing it over other revolvers. My LCR 357 is my main carry gun.
    There are many pros and cons for open carry and as you learn more you might see the cons out weigh the pros. Personally I choose concealed and even if open carry gets approved in Texas I still think I will carry concealed.
    You might check out hickok45 videos. here is one pertaining to how not to hold a revolver.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBAcz16GvU[/ame]
    Welcome to the forum.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  15. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Awesome. Be sure to check your state laws on your CCL. In my state, if you qualify with a revolver, you can only legally carry a revolver. If you take your class with a semi-auto, your license is good for semi-autos AND revolvers.

Good luck and have fun!

16. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

For taking the CCL course I would suggest a 4-5" barrel semi auto as it will be much more accurate especially for the longer shooting distances of qualification. I used a Sig P226 the class had and I since then have bought a Sig P226 in 9mm. The recoil will be even better than your LCR 38+p has.
    I will let you in on a tiny secret that nobody may have told you..........you have not bought your last gun that's for sure. lol you have just entered the twilight zone known as gotta have it after a brief look at a gun. I bet you will have at least a small collection before long. I see a gun safe in your future. LOL

17. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

Congrats,enjoy your first hang gun!:cool:

18. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

You bet I will :D ;)

19. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Lots of good stuff mentioned here

The only thing I could add is, learn safety first and shooting next. My dad taught me to load the gun, how to line up the sights, and squeeze the trigger, but not much safety. Then he turned me loose on the farm and told me to have at it. Not great advice for a young kid, and several near incidents occurred over the next few years. Now I'm a stickler for safe gun handling. I don't know what your knowledge level is, and maybe you've been well trained, but a refresher is never a bad idea. LOL I could probably use one myself!;)

20. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Back in the day that was how it was done for the most part.
    I can not tell you how many older guys (family included) we've been around that were scary as heck with firearms. No safety at all. Sweeping everyone. Finger on the trigger.
    It's why we don't allow anyone to shoot at our range with out a "lesson".
    Just from the photo alone I have questions I would ask.
    Did the store employee check to be sure it was empty? Did she point it at the ground when handing it to you? Employees are notorious for handing them over barrel at people. ALWAYS ASSUME ITS LOADED NO MATTER WHAT!
    Did the OP check for HERSELF to be sure it was empty? It's pretty much a given its unloaded but are you 100% sure someone didn't forget a round in it "testing a load?" Are you willing to bet someone's life?
    Trust no one. Check for yourself. I do and my husband does EVERY TIME we hand a gun over. And that's my husband! I trust him with my life.
    How many times have you read/watched stories on " I thought it was unloaded." To many I'm sure. I know I have.
    The OP is on the right track with training. She could run into problems holding the pistol that way with hot loads. All things she will learn in training. :)
    I hope she comes back and tells us more :D
    I'm excited for her!