My Commander is back

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I was blown off of my feet today when FedEx showed up with my Ruger Commander which has been at Prescott for the last week. They shipped it yesterday and wasn't expecting it until tomorrow or Thursday. They send an invoice showing what they received (what I shipped to them) in detail, including 1 7 round mag and my Pachmayr grips. Invoice also showed that they replaced the extractor, which Mike the tech said he would, a copy of work done and a range target with rounds fired and a couple of expended brass. They fired 28 rounds of 230gr. Corbon rounds through my pistol, the target showing a 5 round volley @15yds and all were within 1 1/4" of each other. I have to say that their attention to detail is great! It also seems that Mike "tightened" up the trigger also as there is not quite as much as travel as before. I am really anxious to get to the range this week-end and try it out. Oh, forgot to mention, they marked on the target where the POA is. It is at 6 o'clock and the rounds were almost dead center. I know everyone talks about Les Baer and Browns and Wilson's however, the pistol is only as good as the guy pulling the trigger. After I shoot the pistol, I am going to sit down, regardless of how I shoot and write them a letter thanking them for the attention and courtesy that was shown to me. So many times we forget to thank those who take the time and courtesy to help us with our problems. I can tell you this: Ruger is one company that cares and shows it!!
    Tommy

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thats awesome Tommy,

I am hopeing that you put every shot in the same hole and they are dead center.:)

Ruger service IS second to none.

Let us know how she shoots...

Jim

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I hope your range test firing has good results. My SR40C just went back to Ruger for the second time since now the gun is having failure to reset trigger issues. Last repair by Ruger they did the updates to my gun for trigger reset issues even though my gun wasn't having that problem. My gun went in for light strikes FTF. I had around 8 or more times out of 100 that now I had to pull the slide back 1/4 movement to reset the trigger.
    I am really surprised having a problem that an update was supposed to prevent. I thought I might have limp wristed it causing the problem but the gun also does it when I am using a strong two handed grip.
    I am not going to complain about Ruger customer service though as they do give service without question. Ruger during first repair said they had shot my gun 24 times without failure. I guess they should have fired it maybe a few more times. It failed for me within the first ten rounds and a few times out of the 100 rounds.
    Give yours a good workout testing.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You have experienced the truism that applies to service departments along with every other human endeavour: "S**** happens." Good design and good service can only approach perfection, eh?

5. buster40c

Well sometimes when man keeps at it he can perhaps show what seems to be a lemon can be a bright shiny apple. Although I can get disgusted at times seeing what seems to be a lemon doesn't mean the outcome can't be perfection.

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Your pistol problems

Buster,
    May I make a suggestion. Document to the best of your availability of all the problems that you have had with your pistol. I mean document! Mark down to the best of your recollection, rounds fired, when the pistol was returned the first time, second time and whatever else that you can come up with in accordance since the time you purchased it. THEN, I would call up to Ruger, who is only 2 1/2 hours from me and ask to speak to the plant manager or whom ever else is in charge and express politely all the problems that you had have. THEN follow up with a letter, and I would have it sent so they have to sign for it and keep a complete log on everything you talked about. Keep everything you say and LOG it, from your phone call, date and time and everything that has transpired. I would ask them since they have had all these problems, ask for another pistol and I don't think that is too far out of bounds. Explain to them how you have been a faithful Ruger customer and express your disappointment. All you are asking for is a product that works as it should - no more -no less.! Make sure who you talk to and when, times, etc and their response. I am sure, since you can name and dates that this problem can be resolved!! Best of luck and let us know how you turn out PLEASE!!
    Tommy

7. buster40c

Thanks T. I just did write down the failure info in case I need it for future correspondence with Ruger. I wonder what Ruger is going to do this time around? I am just glad I am dealing with Ruger and not some other manufacturer that their customer service sucks.

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

There are certainly some horror stories out there about service - and damn few of them involve Ruger. The few I've read that did involve Ruger were in the 'repeated returns' category (the problem was still there, or resurfaced), not about getting service.