Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate holsters. Don't like extra bulk. Wal-Mart or any craft store has plastic canvas for less than a dollar a sheet. It's very thin plastic sheets with small holes in them. My wife uses yarn on them to make different designs to put over tissue boxes. A pumpkin for Halloween, a tree for Christmas, etc. To break up the outline of my LCP 380 in my front pocket I cut a piece the size of my pants pocket and put the gun behind it. It looks like you have a wallet.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Hmmmm. And you don't carry in a pocket holster at all? The whole point of a holster is to keep the gun rotated in the right direction (barrel down, grip up etc.) and to protect the trigger. Even carrying a double action, I'd still be concerned about the trigger getting snagged on something and having an accidental discharge. Unless you figured out a way to put a safety on the LCP, I think I would feel uncomfortable. But, that's just me. And I understand that it does take a good pull on that trigger to get it to fire. That's cool that those sheets work for your purposes though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I carry my S&W Model 342 in my front pocket for years and never had a problem taking it out. I carry with the grip down and the barrel pointing up. I remove it with the barrel. I don't need a fast draw. I would rather draw slowly than not carry at all. I put my S&W between two pieces of the plastic canvas. That way it doesn't dig into my thigh when I sit down.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
It is your choice, but an accidental discharge with the barrel down could graze the leg, up could get in you chest. Just an observation. I had a dropped CZ52 that fired and entered my pants at the knee and luckily was deflected out by my metal knee brace or it would have gotten me in the chest. Guess it wasn't my time.:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I stated in my post I keep the barrel up. There is no way it is going to discharge when I take it out of my pocket by grabbing the barrel.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I carry my LC9S in a pocket holster. If it's in my front pants pocket I don't worry much about anything setting it off because the pocket is always empty (except for the gun and holster). In cold weather I carry in my coat pocket. I got sloppy and had something else in the pocket too. That object apparently pushed the safety off, leaving me with a hot weapon, with a light trigger, in my pocket. The holster kept the trigger covered and kept me safe. I won't carry without a holster for this reason. (Also I won't have anything else in my gun pocket either!)

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
In the hot months of summer...for deep concealment...under a un-tucked T-Shirt...a Belly Band is comfortable and unseen.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
I once knew an ex New York detective that was very heavyset (read fat). He carried a Colt Detective Special with a clip on it just stuck in his waist. He would take a deep breath to put it in or take it out, he would often offer $5.00 to anyone who could pull it out without his consent. No one could. Whatever works, and I also have a bellyband in my collection.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started this thread to see the many different ways to carry a pistol. The way I carry mine is by no means the "best" way. It the most comfortable way for ME. I am very glad that there is such a excellent response. Keep them coming!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts