My BP Hand Cannon

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Oct 12, 2015.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I never realized how much I could enjoy shooting BP.

Does anybody shoot black powder ?

I never did until this year, and then, only because I researched some powder ,called Blackhorn 209.
    Then back in the summer I bought the CVA Optima V2 .50 cal pistol.

I finally shot it last weekend, HOLY CRAP, what a beast.
    I had mounted a Simmons handgun scope....get this......

I loaded the bore with 80 gr (volume) of the Blackhorn 209, shoved a Hornady XTP 240gr .45 mag bullet, wrapped in a 50 to 45 sabot, placed a Remington 209 shotgun primer int the breech plug, aimed it at a paper target at 25yrds, free hand,.....dang...first shot was dead center bullseye, ha! no need to sight inscope. Fired off 2 more shots ...almost same hole, (lucky? dunno, I had about 4-6 witnesses).

At 80 gr powder ..the recoil is similar to the S&W 460 magnum, so I started increasing by 10 gr at atime.
    @ 120 gr , its running at aboot 2200 fps, but recoil is barely manageable,

Dirty Harry once said" A man has got to know his limitations" ...
    I found mine at 130 gr of powder.(the gun will safely shoot 150 gr )

Im now looking at getting its big brother in Long gun ..

Heres my CVA Optima [email protected] .50 cal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,
    I can only relate to you what I know about black powder rifles and that was back in the 70's & 80's. I had a Thompson .50 caliber with a Green River barrel and shot round ball. You could use either Pyrodex or black powder and I used Triple F black powder. Although Pyrodex is a little more moisture resistant than BP. it didn't give me the accuracy I wanted. I used the old ball and patch and once in a great while a mini ball and that was before the discarding sabot and all the other things they have now. I was shooting 90 grains per round and @100 yrds (supported) I could hold about a 3" circle. I know this, that not all BP's shoot the same way. You have to work out your own formula to get the best accuracy reports and I know you are finicky when it comes to accuracy, so it may take some time. I wish I could help you more but it's been too many years ago and things have really changed. The Green River barrel had more rifling per inch so that's how I opted for it and was a hair heavier. Remember one thing, if you shoot it, don't shoot it once, shoot it a hundred times because it's a lot of work to clean them. We used to use #13 and a lot of hot water to clean the barrel and primer holder. Good luck with that hand cannon. When I win the Lotto I am going to get you an old RPG like we used overseas. You're always wanting to blow something up!!!:D

3. phideaux

Yeah your right, things have changed a lot.

Inever would venture into BP before due to the time consuming process of cleanup.

The only reason I finaly did was solely due to this powder, Blachorn 209,

You clean the gun , the same as any other centerfire gun.

Hoppes #9, patch it till clean, spry some on the breech plug, light brush, wipe and your done.
    Also no bore cleaning between shots ,to make pooshing boolits downbore easy. There is no more build up in bore than a normal rifle.

You can sit at the range bench and adjust your load as you like , while shooting.......now thats cool.......and super fun.

The Pistol i have , above, is so very accurate, and just fun.

The longbarrel rifle , Im ordering today is accurate out to 250 yrds.
    CVA warranty= Guaranteed the most accurate ML rifle I ever have shot.:eek:

Who knows...this may lead to me actually building my own cannon.:D

btw, I use the same, Hornady XTP 240gr magnum , bullets to reload in my S&W 460.:)
    Jim

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  4. phideaux

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Nice score Jim....!!

I've been looking at a few Pennsylvania Long Rifles to add to my collection...

[​IMG]

6. phideaux

Im not sure if the Blackhorn 209 powder can be used on percussion or flintlock shooters.

The reason I even got the BP guns is the normal , easy cleanup using Blackhorn 209.

It takes a big blast from a 209 primer to ignite.

Its wonderful.

Jim

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Does it have the cloud cover when shooting like the muzzle loaders have? Friend hunts deer with his bp rifle and says he loses sight of the deer after taking the shot till the smoke clears. He loves shooting/hunting with it.

8. phideaux

There is some white smoke, but not nearly as much as other/regular BP.

Its still fun to see that white smoke.

If your not layin on the ground..

Jim

9. 6-Oclock

6-Oclock New Member

This is a little off the topic, but I've always loved shooting BP, to the point of being a purist. I hunted with a T.C. 50 Cal. Hawkins with a Sharon barrel, hunted Upland Birds with a "Front Stuffer" 12 ga., carried a New Navy Arms Remmington Model 44 Cal. in my pickup. I traded them all in when I got into Single Action Cowboy, getting my first Ruger 45 Long Colt. I recently bought a 44 Cal. Pietta 1851 Colt model, BOOOOM, I'm back in love with BP! I load with 28 gr of FFF, with a bit of corn meal between the ball and powder (not to controll chain fire, but to add to the gas seal), I never liked using wonder wads myself (dern Purist!). I asked the indoor range I shoot at, if I could shoot it there.... they laughed and said "No, this is a SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT!" ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  10. phideaux

Well, I have had this for a while,
    just never got around to taking pics of it.

Still have not shot it yet.

It should compliment the hand cannon just fine,
    Ill put up a report when I get time and weather to hit the range.

013.jpg

015.jpg

018.jpg

Jim