Muzzle breaks

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by jwshootster68, Feb 1, 2017.

1. jwshootster68

jwshootster68 New Member

Just wondering if anyone has shot or messed around with any muzzle breaks for AR's. I currently have the Lantac dragon on mine. It's ok but I'm playing around with another one and trying to see what other opinions are out there.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have seen muzzle breaks on handguns and they were back an inch or so from the muzzle end. I would think that would cause even less velocity just like using a snub barrel.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I've got them on a couple handguns and on my 12 gauge slug barrel,I don't think they effect velocity,at least not enough to notice,but they do make them louder to the shooter. I've never had them on any rifles though.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I have used both muzzle breaks and flash suppressors. The muzzle break should keep muzzle rise down for faster secondary shots. The problem is if you shoot to fast, you do not allow the muzzle to come back in line and it will keep driving the muzzle down until you let it back up.;)

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Those things are muzzle brakes, folks. They won't break your muzzle.

:)

6. jwshootster68

jwshootster68 New Member

Had a 50/50 shot on spelling it correctly. Missed that one!

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

No but they wheel break the ears of the guy standing next to you. :D

:usa:

8. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Boy that's the truth!

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

So I hear.

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I,m sorry but I can't hear a word that is said. Thank God I can still write -- somewhat.

Tommy

11. jwshootster68

jwshootster68 New Member

Lol. You do get some strange looks at the range when your shooting an AR with a muzzle brake.

12. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Just out of curiosity, what round are you shooting through the AR? .223/5.56 has so little recoil that a muzzle brake would seem unnecessary at best. I would understand if it's a .450 Bushmaster or something like that, but I would think a suppressor would be of more value than a brake.

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I am sticking my nose in just to say that suppressors tend to be way more expensive than brakes.

14. Oldhand

On Hickok45, he showed a company that sold an adapter for around $80 that you put oil filters on to make suppressors. Still have to do the $200 Tax stamp first.:D

15. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Lets hope before long we all can walk in and pickup a suppressor of our choice and flavor without having to go through all the hoops and hell just to get approved to own one:brickwall:

16. jwshootster68

jwshootster68 New Member

I usually shoot 62 grain bthp v-max. It's not typically the recoil as much as muzzle rise that I am looking to minimize. Just for a quicker follow up shot to stay on target.

17. Oldhand

Then you need to find a brake with the holes on top and none on bottom. Or top and sides but not bottom.;)

18. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

That's what I had/have on my 44 mags & 35 rem.,actually they're Magna-ported,the 12 gauge has them all the way around.