Muzzle breaks

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by jenny0217, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

I like my .308 American Rifle. But I wouldn't mind making it a little more stable. Any ideas? I was thinking about a muzzle break. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

2. 22donk

22donk New Member

What do you mean by more stable? I just bedded my forend with epoxy and filled the butt stock with clear silicon. Gun is 14 oz heavier, more balanced and feels much more solid.

3. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

Is it no longer free floating then? And more stable because of how much the recoil is. I always thought a muzzle break would help do that.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

With the custom made, and fitted shark gill muzzle brake,
    My Savage .308 is a pussycat, the flash and pressure is directed outward at about a 20 degree angle , that relieves rearward force( by pushing muzzle forward somewhat reducing recoil) and evenly funnels pressure outward. Very easy shooter and scary accurate.

My 12 yr old grandson shoots it like its a .223.

[​IMG]

Jim

5. Mongo

Mongo NRA Life Member

There is a muzzle break called the Hammerhead that works well

6. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

How much about does it cost for someone to thread on a muzzle brake? Not including the muzzle brake itself. Assuming my local gunsmith would be able to do it!

7. nolski2017

nolski2017 New Member

I am also looking for a muzzle break for the American 308, I had purchased a muzzle break from amazon but it does not fit the barrel. It sleeves right over it. to bad it looks good, good reviews for the price point.

8. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

I'm looking for a brake for my GSR

9. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

I want one that threads on! Anyone know anything about who makes a good bipod? As well as size. I'm currently looking at the Caldwell xla. 6-9". But I don't know much about bipods...

10. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

I got the screw-on for my min 14 from Accuracy Systems

11. Flipflop

Flipflop New Member

You can go wrong with JP Enterprises

12. phong

phong New Member

Hi
    I just buy me the new Ruger American Rifle? I like to install the muzzle brake on my rifle and which brand will fit on my rifle? Can someone help me please.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  13. Flipflop

Flipflop New Member

I will throw another 2 cents in,
    If I were you, I would be looking for a muzzle brake with a target crown on it.
    Most 30 cal Muzzle brakes are tapped with the same threads unless you buy one for say a Moisen or a PTR G3 type rifle.
    To do it right your gonna want to have the end of the barrel threaded, probable 5/8", so you will probably need a gun smith to do it.
    I like muzzle brakes, it is nice when you can keep your eye on the target after you pull the trigger and still nicer if you can get a quicker follow up shot.

14. Flipflop

Flipflop New Member

15. phong

phong New Member

Thank You Flipflop for reply my email and my barrel in not threaded. I can used the clamp on muzzle brake clamp on.

16. Myakka-Vice

Myakka-Vice New Member