Muzzle Brake for a 581-series Mini?

Discussion in 'Ruger Mini 14' started by ElmCreekSmith, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ElmCreekSmith

ElmCreekSmith New Member

I have a 581-series Mini 14 to which I'm considering adding a muzzle brake. Is there an easy way to do this (no modifications to the barrel) :cool: that will work, or should I go whole hog and have the barrel threaded for a muzzle brake that will mount a suppressor? :spot:

Does anyone know someone who does this kind of work in the Northeast Oklahoma area?

ECS

2. gundoc

gundoc New Member

Hi ECS - there's no easy way to do this without a lathe and a barrel vise. The 581 series will require removing the barrel and front sight, turning the thread tenon to diameter, threading it, and then turning a shelf for the front sight go back on in its new location. Reinstallation of the barrel and front sight finishes it up. Threaded 1/2x28 and done properly you can add a plethora of things including a can if you have the means. You might find a local Smith who will do it but most likely you'll need to send it to someone. Let me know if I can be of help -

Doc

3. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

Have you looked at the slip on muzzle brakes made by John Masen and sold by Midwayusa?

4. ElmCreekSmith

ElmCreekSmith New Member

They won't fit, jeeper. Thanks.

ECS

5. ElmCreekSmith

ElmCreekSmith New Member

Thanks, Doc! I'll let you know.

ECS