mouse to goliath

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by buster40c, Aug 20, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah! That guy is (if I understand the appellation) Cool. So is that demo.

3. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

It's interesting, but water jugs and gel never replicate human tissue with clothing.................so, your back to square one..........................do I think that a .380 is large enough for carry........................no.............:duck:

4. buster40c

Shot placement is everything and a 380 can do the job if shots are placed right. The argument about caliber effectiveness has to many possibilities to say one is always definitely better. I have seen so many tests showing minimal differences between most common carried hand gun ammo.
    Like they say, any carried gun is better than no gun. The best caliber is the caliber you can shoot best.

5. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

Here's something to read and think about.

http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/article/when-does-a-380-beat-a-9mm/

6. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

Would I want to be shot with a .380???????????????????????Heck no, I used to carry one....................but after doing this shooting thing for a while, I have come to realize that I personally can put .40 cal rds. on target at defense distances just as easy as .380 rounds, so I choose a bigger booolit. The wife chooses .38/.357......................I agree, if all a person can handle is a .380, then .380 it is....................but I would always encourage them to go bigger. I think that it's more of a confidence issue, or a conceal issue, than a "can they do it" issue.:)

7. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Yes I conclude the .380 is for old ladies.

8. buster40c

Yep the article is right on IMO. A person should carry what they can shoot best. Myself the 380 acp has way to much kick for my wussy hands to hold back. Added that the 380 ammo is more expensive than the 9mm I would chose the 9mm all day long. The only 380 I liked was the Sig P238 because the recoil was best of any 380 I ever shot. If the Sig equivalent in 9mm handles about the same then I would again go with the 9mm.
    I would be surprised if an old lady would enjoy shooting an LCP to practice much with it. I have watched women shooting at the range with the lcp and muzzle jumping up was more than I think fun to shoot.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Interesting, well-argued article. Seems like it ought to be highly relevant for concealed carriers, especially in warm weather when smaller = concealable.

10. guncheese

guncheese New Member

why does a 45/70 go right on thru the buffalo length wise
    but a .300 winny mag does nothing of the sort

its not magic

why does the 45/70 with a big ole soft 400 grain gob of lead at less then 1000 fps go clean thru 24" of water soaked phone books
    but a .308 win makes a fist sized cavity right in the face of the same stack of phone books

its not magic

the shotty gun slug in that video slowed down to the sub 1000fps rate would have made great inroads into that row of jugs
    wish i was setup to do that test

but the moral of the story here is
    velocity is your friend
    but he is a good con man as well dont be fooled to easily