Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a car thread so how about a motorcycle thread showing present or past rides.
My last ride was a Honda VTX 1800C. 110 hp. IMO it was the best handling and most powerful bike I ever owned. Good thing this bike had a rev limiter because I hit it many times.
Motorcycles are like guns. You just can't get them out of your blood. Dang now I have the itch to ride.

Attachments

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
We have a car thread so how about a motorcycle thread showing present or past rides.
My last ride was a Honda VTX 1800C. 110 hp. IMO it was the best handling and most powerful bike I ever owned. Good thing this bike had a rev limiter because I hit it many times.
Motorcycles are like guns. You just can't get them out of your blood. Dang now I have the itch to ride.
Buster,
You old goat, what did you do what that thing???? I love motorcycles but had to give them up when I got T-boned at an intersection in my Model A pick-up. I had to completely rebuild my truck as you saw the pics I posted. Before I went to the Army I was starting to build motorcycles. I still have a pic of the very first "chopper" I built. It started out as a 1947 Knucklehead and went from there. Those were crude bikes in their day as compared to now. For about 10 years I was building bikes and customizing and doing a lot of bike shows. When I got in my wreck 6 yrs. ago, the doctor said I had to quit riding as my L-5/S-1 vertebrae was crushed. He said I could ride to the grocery store and back but no further. For over 20 yrs. we would make the Sturgis run every year. One day, I will TRY to post a pic of my first chopper on this thread. I have a neighbor that can help me. I know as much about a computer as I do shooting so that shows you my single digit IQ number. BUT I have to say-that is one fine ride!!!!
Tommy

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
My Baby...

Displacement: 1449.00 ccm (88.42 cubic inches)

Engine type: V2, four-stroke

Torque: 105.00 Nm (10.7 kgf-m or 77.4 ft.lbs) @ 3000 RPM

Compression: 8.8:1

Bore x stroke: 95.3 x 101.6 mm (3.8 x 4.0 inches)

Fuel system: Injection

Cooling system: Air

Transmission type final drive: Belt

Fuel capacity: 5.02 gals

Frame type: steel, Double cradle frame

Front
Suspension: Cartridge
Brake: Single Disk
Tire: 130 / 90 R16

Rear
Suspension: mono shock, Swing arm
Brake: Disk
Tire: 130 / 90 R16

Weight
Curb weight: 705.5 lbs

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tommy I sold the VTX because I knew my mental response with physical reaction time had gotten slowed way down. That and I figured I wouldn't mend as fast as when I was younger. I firmly believe if going down has any place in your mind then you better get the hell off of a M/C. I used to ride curves so tight and fast I would rub the floor boards throwing sparks like a grinder. You know when we were young and rode like we were dumb, and bullet proof. My biker name was blow by because I was often just seen blowing by. They called me blow for short and most I rode with didn't even know my real name.
List of Harley M/C I have owned. 1969 shovel head full yellow dresser Shriner, 1969 stripped shovel dresser made into a SuperGlide, 1969 XLCH sportster which I traded for a 1957 PanHead that took chopper class win. 2001 Sportster 1200, tonka toy, that I hated so much I took it back to dealer after only 3 days. Not to mention all the other rides I owned but in the end the VTX was the one I liked best.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Dammit! I had an awesome photo of a much younger me on my new 1966 Triumph 500 Enduro; can't find it.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nick I love the basket on the back. Come on with it VT! I dug into my old albums to find the last two pics of my oldies.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
First bike was a regeared 49cc 2-stroke Puch Maxi that did 52 mph two up. Then a 1997 Honda VT1100C, Ninja 500cc and my current Yamaha FZ-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyv-HR2hnXs
Hah! My very first motorcycle was an Allstate (Sears) 250cc 2-stroke that was built by Puch. I put a windshield on it, and plastic 'saddlebags'. And I rode it to scrambles meets, including the Grafton Motocross weekend. Must have drawn some laughs - that I was oblivious to. What I remember about it was that the windshield worked in the rain; if I held my head at the right height, the rain either hit the windshield or my helmet - and I could see.

Well, I also remember the engine seizing immediately after I passed a car. That ain't easy to forget.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My first bike was a 360 Binelli bought on sale off the showroom floor of Montgomery Wards.
VT did you forget to mix the oil on that tank of gas? Oops!

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
My first bike was a 360 Binelli bought on sale off the showroom floor of Montgomery Wards.
VT did you forget to mix the oil on that tank of gas? Oops!
The Puch/Allstate had separate tanks for oil and gas, and mixed 'on the fly'. Must have mixed a little light. Never rode it after that, traded for a 1959 BSA 650 Super Rocket. That bike had legs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I started with a C110 Honda in 64, 60K on it, after many others now on. Kawi Concours and restoring a Honda 750 SS.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nogoat I hope you remember where that thinga ma jig went.
I had a Honda 750 which I swapped out the stock bars to 12" riser pull backs.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
First pic: My "stable" in 1999. Left to right. 79' Kawasaki KZ650 bought new (sold w/86,000 mi.), 99' Yamaha R6 (never raced it), 86' Yamaha FZ750 (retired race bike).

2nd & 3rd pics: 1973 Yamaha RD350, Ran in Clubman class in 1980's. Bike is now being restored as I have time.

4th pic: 1985? Yamaha RZ350. Our endurance teams race bike in 1986. Some races 8 hr long. All club racin, you never heard of me/us.

5th pic: 1986 FZ750 on race track in 1987. Guy I sold it to totaled it on the street one week later!!! It never got a scratch sprint racin.

6th & 7th pics: 2003 Yamaha FZ1 (1000cc). On three week and 3000 mile road trip thru Rocky Mountains. Still ride this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Nick I love the basket on the back. Come on with it VT! I dug into my old albums to find the last two pics of my oldies.
That picture was the day I purchased it used from a neighbor. My mom snapped the pic before I took the basket off. My dad made me add turn signals.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts