Mothers Mag Polish for stainless guns

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by swkohnle08, Aug 23, 2017.

1. swkohnle08

swkohnle08 New Member

After shooting about 200 rounds of .38 Special and some were hand-loads[​IMG] and 100 rounds of .357 Mag. I cleaned this gun with Hoppe's as usual and then polished with Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. The shine is amazing for my Security Six.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Mothers is good stuff.

3. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I concur!!!!!

4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Whoa. Imma go order some right now......

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I wonder how it will work on my SR1911's? Does it take a lot of elbow work or just a good rubbing? In all my 70+ years I have never heard of this polish, maybe I have and the brain don't remember like it used to. And where do you find that kind of polish as I am really interested in this? Please.............help me!!!

Tommy

6. swkohnle08

swkohnle08 New Member

I don't know much about 1911's so I can't comment on that gun. But with stainless steel Revolvers, it does a great job. I used a small microfiber cloth and rubbed on Mothers Mag in small areas with my index finger in tight circular motions. I applied some pressure but not excessive. I then wiped it with a second clean microfiber cloth and polished as I went. I took my time doing each section at a time. I bought my Mothers at a local autoparts store.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I think Walfart has it .

Try NAPA, Autozone, O'Reillys, etc.

I been using it "on tough spots" for a couple years, because I couldn't find Simichrome polish in the stores.

I wil not use it constantly just to clean with.
    Only for tough spots , like the end of a revolver cylinder.

IT IS A POLISH that has fine grit and it does remove metal, ever so slight.

Constant use could eventually create a problem.

Jim

8. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

This stuff is wheel polish for your car, correct? I've heard of Mother's but I don't remember this stuff. Or maybe that was MeGuire's polish...crap. Shows ya how often I polish my car...

9. BigDogJames

BigDogJames BigDogJames

Tommy. You can polish out your SR1911 to brilliant shine. I have done it to both of mine and a GP100. The method I used, I first start with 3M~800 grit sandpaper, followed by 1000, 1500, 2000 and finally 2500 grit. I use alternating cuts (vertical and horizontal) so you make sure the previous sanding marks are smoothed out. The last two grades of paper I wet sand. Then you will be ready for the Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish. If you want to take it to the next level, follow up and use "Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream". It will really make your Ruger shine like a diamond.
    Of course it's time consuming, but you'll have a very nice looking "finger print magnet". Also, all of the products are available at Wally World. I would enclose photos, if I knew how.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  10. jake565

jake565 New Member

It is the "Mother" of all polishing compounds! :cool:

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

The only thing about Mothers is it is more messy using than some other cleaners that I have seen even do a quicker job of cleaning up very dirty metal. I started out cleaning my chrome truck rims with mothers but switched to another cleaner that was much faster at cutting the years of grime. When I got the truck the rims didn't look like they were chrome because how filthy they were.

The product is called Master Formula Metal Gloss and it's made for polishing aluminum, chrome, brass, and stainless steel. It isn't cheap and it can be bought at auto parts and hardware stores.

I also like Never Dull which is a wading in a can. I believe it is as good as Mothers but not near as messy to use. I used it to make my Corvette aluminum wheels shine like deep chrome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  12. swkohnle08

swkohnle08 New Member

I didn't find Mothers all that messy as once I was done, I ran my Bore Snake through the barrel and cylinder and a final wipe and good to go. But I will check out Master Formula

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

14. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Alright well I wasn't kidding about ordering some of this stuff. Came in today's mail.

So, I went out into the garage and gave my service six a little shine:

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1503791791.045212.jpg

15. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

:Cooltu:.............