Most Embarrassing Miss..... Aw, C'mon

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Don, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Don

Don Member

If I think long enough I could probably come up with more than one but here goes. I'm sitting in a ground blind, deer hunting with a Savage 24F O/U with 30-30 on top of a 12 ga. I know the rifle shoots well and I'm watching a trail that leads right past me to a food plot nearby. Sure enough, mid morning a huge doe that has eluded me twice before leads her 2 spiked young'uns down the trail right toward me. I have a doe tag so this time Momma is gonna be BBQ. With the fixed power 4X crosshairs resting on the front of her chest I let her walk to within 15 or 18 yards with no hint that she is knows I'm there. Easy shot, so... I take a deep breath, steady the rifle and proceed to jerk the trigger so hard it should have broke off the gun! I actually saw bark fly off the side of a tree at least 6 feet from my target. I don't know how or why but I never ever got that doe.

2. WadeSwain

WadeSwain New Member

So, the trigger, legitimately, came OFF of the gun?

Sent from my HTCONE using Ruger Forum mobile app

3. Don

Don Member

uhhh........ no.
    I hereby claim literary license and would assign the word "hyperbole" to that particular sentence. but if it did, DANG!, that would make an even better story.

4. WadeSwain

WadeSwain New Member

I was going to say, that's just terrible luck.

5. Don

Don Member

As I've mentioned before I am curious and even a little concerned that so many people will read a thread but so few make a comment. Is it because;
    A - There are not many hunters on this site?
    B - Nobody has ever missed an easy shot
    C - Nobody wants to admit they missed and easy shot
    D - Most of you don't like typing enough to want to type an entire story.
    E - Something I'm missing? then help me out folks.
    (or am I the only guy to ever muff an easy shot?):hammer:

6. WadeSwain

WadeSwain New Member

They're probably just reading.....judging.... Lmao

7. Butters

Butters New Member

I'll bite.

Using my old .22, thing clover leafs at 100 yards. I was out squirrel hunting and about 20 yards away a very large red popped up. I took aim and saw fur fly.
    I hit the tip of the little buggers tail!
    Don't know how i missed it either, cant figure it out :confused:

8. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm not much of a story teller,let's just say there was a 6 point buck within 10 ft. of me while I was hunting with my New Model Super Blackhawk 44 mag. and I missed TWICE!!!:eek:

9. Butters

Butters New Member

What!?
    Now im sad, that story hurt all the way over here

10. krss144

krss144 New Member

I believe in practice, practice squeezing the trigger and not jerking it hard.

Im ready to hunt this year, its 8/15 @ 7am and only 47degrees here in MI. We havent had a summer this year (not complaining) so everyday its closer to fall and really feels like its already here. I really hope to get back into Duck/Goose hunting this year. A LOT OF FUN, if you have never had the chance to go out you should give it a try sometime. Talk about missing an easy shot...try telling your buddies that the last time I went out Goose hunting it was me and 5 others. We were in a field, called the one lonely goose in, everyone was ready, waiting til he was in range and can you believe all 6 (yes including me with my Mossberg 935 3.5" semi-auto 12ga) of us couldnt bring that bird down. It was like watching a 747 landing at the airport and in slow motion, he even touched the ground and took off with his middle finger in the air. That was 18 rounds that goose survived...now, I bet that goose went to his buddies all winter in Florida and said "you will never believe it, them boys in MI SUCK!" lol

Then Deer season. Deer season to me is something special, opening day is my grandmothers birthday and every year she hunts with me and my gang for opening day. The fresh air, cold, silence, heart racing after every sound from that noisey squirel that just scared the S*&t our of you lol. The more you hunt the more chances you are to miss. Long range or close range just breath slow, clear your mind, hold your breath when ready for the shot and sqeeze the trigger.

Good to see another hunter on here, like I mentioned I really hope to do some duck hunting/goose, bow season and rifle for deer this season so I will try and take some pictures. Here are some from last Deer season...little 8 pt about 150yards out sitting in my pop-up, and what us guys call home for a week.

Attached Files:

11. Don

Don Member

KRSS144,
    thanks for the funny (and sad) goose goof story. You are in a great state for hunting as I undeerstand it. I'm down here in NE Florida and while I love living here it is a disappointment for most hunting. Lots of deer but mostly small with a poorly balanced buck to doe ratio. Putting venison on the table is not easy. We have lots of swamps that offer good hog hunting but it comes at a cost. If you can get access to some good property you will have to deal with heat, snakes, skeeters and sometimes gators throughout most of the season. Truly cold weather is rare and even if a morning starts out below freezing it still hits the 70s during the day and your long stalks work up quit a sweaty stink. and yet...I just love being in the woods!
    I hope there are some more hunters on here who will speak up.
    Like most on this site, I am a legitimate gun nut, shooting nut and specifically a Ruger nut but it sure seems that the number of hunters I run into is rapidly dwindling. That is sad. (almost as sad as missing that lonely goose...LOL)