Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if you can take out the little half bead (not sure exactly what it's called) on a mossberg? I bought a fiber optic front bead and the little half bead kinds blocks it.
ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1460041550.942330.jpg
ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1460041568.252858.jpg
I tried unscrewing it like the main bead bit it wouldn't budge. Any info helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Well, it is screwed in, so if you don't care about the bead, lay some tape down around it, put some oil on the bead, heat it up with a hair dryer and work it back and forth with pliers until it releases- it was probably installed with locktite. Or, you can just cut it flush or try locktite Freeze and Release.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I was going to suggest an 8 oz. brass hammer. Your ideas have the advantage of being more complicated.

;)

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
You might try using an air impact tool with the correct size socket.
After the socket rounds off the 'nut edges' it's time to break out the hand held grinder to cut it down, out of the way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If it's in with loktite, it would probably be the medium duty stuff. So I would follow gunslinger 669's advice. Be careful and don't apply to much pressure all at once. Take your time, I am not certified, but I have trained as a gunsmith. Mainly for my own families guns, also was trained as an armorer in the military. If there is one thing I've learned, usually the hard way, don't hurry! Don't take on the task until you have more than enough time and no distractions. Try checking you tube, you can find almost anything there.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What would happen if I hit it with a torch?

·
Registered
104 Posts
What gunslinger said. I'd be REAL careful with a torch. You don't want damage to the rib or God forbid the barrel. BTW, that is a sweet looking 500.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^yeah I hear ya. I'll put some oil (gun oil or crisco?) and heat it with a hair dryer.
Thanks!
ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1460403363.477468.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^that was my second choice.....after crisco of course!

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Calf slobber may also work,

Very low heat though.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts