Mosquito attack

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Sep 2, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

This flood had brought out the skeeters something awful. Can't even walk in the grass for being attacked by the blood suckers. I haven't seen them this bad in a long time. I wish the birds would come around and scarf them up.

Anybody have a good home remedy for a repellent? I don't even want to use the commercial repellents since they are loaded with chemicals.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Load up your food with garlic, Buster. It's good for what ails you anyway.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Stick a Bounce dryer sheet in your pocket, after wipeing it over yourself a little.

bounce.jpg

Jim

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Headnets and long sleeves are the only real answer if you don't want to use chemicals, Buster. Dryer sheets do work but be prepared to reapply it every few minutes. I used them in a God-forsaken flooded forest in Minnesota where the mosquitos were so thick I couldn't breathe through my mouth for fear of inhaling them. It did help a little. I think sweat dilutes the effectiveness of the dryer sheets which made me have to reapply so often.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yep

6. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Anything with lots of Deet.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

LOL. Among the nonphysical barriers so far, garlic is the least "chemical". And sweating improves its effectiveness.

:puker: The little yellow guy represents a mosquito that has just landed on a South Korean an hour after lunch break.

8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

We have a swamp in our bottom. Skeeters are bad, or used to be.

Our solution is to use citronella torches around the deck and pool. We installed several bat houses and have a a fairly large colony of bats. And we use DEET. We still have skeeters, but not as many as before, and to add the the garlic suggestion, I use garlic daily as a supplement. While the wife and girls, who rarely use garlic, still get Skeeter bites, I can not remember the last time I have been Skeeter bit.

9. buster40c

I made a liquid concoction spray of 1 cup off brand gold Listerine, 3 cloves minced garlic, table spoon lemon juice concentrate, 1/2 tsp rosemary, and 3 tbs olive oil. Supposed to work so will see.

UPDATE:
    I tried spraying this concoction on me but the sprayer kept clogging up. So I just poured some in my hand and smeared it on my arms and legs. I then walked out into the wet grass and the mosquitos came up at me. But they didn't land on me and they went elsewhere. So this brew works very well IMO. It doesn't stink and it isn't oily like most bug sprays are either.

I don't know how long it will last till need put some more on because I didn't stay outside very long.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  10. buster40c

I went outside again, 5 hours later, at 7pm and the mosquitos still were not landing on me. I can't even tell I have it on me but it still is working.

Maybe I need a shower and I don't smell to human.LOL

11. phideaux

Now that you've marinated in all those seasonings....be careful,

Dang dog or Coyote may think your a delicacy .

Jim

12. buster40c

I put my hand up to my dog but she didn't even want to lick me. Just can't get no lovin.

13. phideaux

Well, all I'll say is....keep them dogs well fed,, don't want them gettin hungry around you , while your sleepin.:eek:

Jim

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I sit in my chair in my garage in the mornings and have coffee and the skeets try to eat me alive. I spray some bug killer in the air and since it is so hot, I spray a light coat of Deet on my legs. I think they just like dark meat because my wife can sit with me for a few minutes and she doesn't get bit. We have nothing outside pails, pans, etc for them to breed in and I can't figure out where they are coming from. They say it's only the female mosquito that bites. I have had a couple of wives that must have been mosquitoes because they bit me during my divorces.

Tommy

15. buster40c

Tommy try the concoction I made. It worked for me. The light skin doesn't repel skeeters and I know that for a fact. I am so white complected where I can't get a decent tan going that the moths fly around me at night.

That's funny but it's not that your x's bit you and sucked the blood out of you so to speak. I think that's called blood money.

16. spikedriver

Buster that concoction of yours sounds like it works good. Not only does it repel mosquitoes but you wouldn't have to worry bout me coming around either. The smell of garlic makes my skin crawl.

17. buster40c

I don't notice any smell to the stuff and definitely no garlic smell. But evidently the skeeters can smell it.
    Spike do you have any werewolves in your family tree? JK

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  18. spikedriver

Vampires, not werewolves. That's why I shaved my head. I can't see my reflection to comb it...

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The area rivers flooded LOTS of land here just south of Houston.
    There is flood water most everywhere around here... The makings for a bumper crop of mosquitoes.

Like you buster, I hate putting chemicals on my skin so I'll try the concoction you told us about.

:usa:

20. allenr

allenr Member

I use two repellents. The first is a 10% deet solution that is applied to my clothes at points of entry like cuffs, necklines, shirt sleeves and on a hat. Then I apply lemon eucalyptus oil to all exposed skin. The oil as effective as deet. I use deet on clothes because it also repels ticks

There is an article comparing products here:

https://www.verywell.com/natural-mosquito-repellents-88853