Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to chill the brass toss, easily. I like to shoot far right so the brass isn’t bombing others. Bang! sorry, Bang! sorry…

Ordered a bufftech, even with mixed opinions. Quick install. The upper wouldn’t seat, with pressure, yes. The trigger group wouldn’t set, more pressure. The bolt wouldn’t lock back.

I gotta roast bufftech for this product. They know what it’s for, their product is fat. There’s a high fail rate. Get it then trim? Yeah, no.

I found gasket material at Lowe’s, half the thickness of the bufftech. Perfect. I think.

I’d go with the 1911 buffer. Hard pass on the BT.
Sleeve Collar Material property Red Magenta

Textile Trigger Air gun Sleeve Wood

· Registered
43 Posts
If wanting to reduce the distance your brass is flung, it's likely you will need to reduce the Inside Diameter of your gas port with a kit from Accuracy Sytems, Inc. Ruger Mini 14 30 Gas Reduction Bushing Kit Accuracy Systems Inc (ruger-mini-14-firearms.com) Note there are different kits for the Mini-14 and the Mini-30.

Most folks seem to settle on the .045" or .050" gas port for the Mini-14, but every Mini is different, so suggest being willing to experiment. Ruger deliberately over-gasses the Miini for utmost reliability; OEM Gas Port is .085", for reference. After installing new (reduced) I.D. Gas Port, strongly suggest testing COLD rifle and COLD ammo in temps as COLD as you can arrange, since Cold ammo is slightly less energetic than even room temp ammo. If in doubt, go a little bit larger I.D. for reliability's sake.

Suggest torqueing gas block screws to 25-30 INCH-POUNDS, and be prepared to sight-in your Mini, as the bullet till have more gas propelling it. Usual cautions about aligning gas block and its mating "cap" apply.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If wanting to reduce the distance your brass is flung, it's likely you will need to reduce the Inside Diameter of your gas port with a kit from Accuracy Sytems, Inc. Ruger Mini 14 30 Gas Reduction Bushing Kit Accuracy Systems Inc (ruger-mini-14-firearms.com) Note there are different kits for the Mini-14 and the Mini-.
Thanks, that’s a pretty reasonable modification. $$.

Honestly, the “flinging” doesn’t bother me. I can see the only reason to do it would be for others.

· Registered
43 Posts
It's a commonly done modification. Makes it easier to police up brass (whether you reload or not), makes life easier on others, and makes life easier on one's Mini and its' optics.

Bonus is a few extra FPS on the bullet, and a little increased range.

Most folks who have made the mod were happy they did so.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a commonly done modification. Makes it easier to police up brass (whether you reload or not), makes life easier on others, and makes life easier on one's Mini and its' optics.

Bonus is a few extra FPS on the bullet, and a little increased range.

Most folks who have made the mod were happy they did so.
Appreciate the info. Will be doing it. Love my mini.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If wanting to reduce the distance your brass is flung, it's likely you will need to reduce the Inside Diameter of your gas port with a kit from Accuracy Sytems, Inc. Ruger Mini 14 30 Gas Reduction Bushing Kit Accuracy Systems Inc (ruger-mini-14-firearms.com) Note there are different kits for the Mini-14 and the Mini-30.

Most folks seem to settle on the .045" or .050" gas port for the Mini-14, but every Mini is different, so suggest being willing to experiment. Ruger deliberately over-gasses the Miini for utmost reliability; OEM Gas Port is .085", for reference. After installing new (reduced) I.D. Gas Port, strongly suggest testing COLD rifle and COLD ammo in temps as COLD as you can arrange, since Cold ammo is slightly less energetic than even room temp ammo. If in doubt, go a little bit larger I.D. for reliability's sake.

Suggest torqueing gas block screws to 25-30 INCH-POUNDS, and be prepared to sight-in your Mini, as the bullet till have more gas propelling it. Usual cautions about aligning gas block and its mating "cap" apply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts