Ruger Talk Forums banner

Model #1 fans...

13K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  FourFingersofDeath 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Any other model #1 fans

I have a 6mm PPC was wondering if there were any others out there

#5 ·
Have a handful of #1's. Started with a #1V in .22-250 years ago. Traded a minty first yr production (old production) 10/22RBI for it. Since then: #1S in .45-70, #1A in 7x57, #1H in .405 Win, #1A in .30-06 and a pair of #1S models in .300 H&H. Waited years for one in .300 H&H and bought the one in .30-06 just to have it rechambered. Ruger made them available before it got shipped off. Not one for the chambering, so now the .30-06 will be sent of for a whole new chambering. Just gotta get myself to stop procrastinating, pack it and ship it.
Also have a #3 in .45-70 that was just too good a deal to pass. Keep my eyes open and check every Ruger single shot I come across. Just never know when one of the more interesting chamberings presents itself. :)

Pair of .300 H&H's:

#8 ·
I have several No 1s, two 338WMs in a 1B and a Sporting Rifle and a 416 Rigby Troppo!

I am thinking of buying a 338WM M77 Mk1 (tang safety). If I get that I will flog the 338s and buy a new 375H&H and have it re-chambered to 375 Weatherby.

That will give me M77s in 300WM and 338WM and No1s (both Tropicals! Awesome!) in 375 and 416 Rigby which i=will be a nicely balanced battery.

The other alternative is to rebarrel the 1B to 270Win and buy the 375 Tropical, that way I would have a 270W, 338WM, 375H&H and a 416 Rigby in No1s, that would be cool! The 300WM M77 would be the only ring in.

#9 ·
Good looking guns Blkhawk73......wow.....

#10 ·
At this point in my life,

Id take a #1 in just about any chambering I could find.

My favorite would be .416 Rigby Tropical though.

But, I might need to take out a loan for that one.;):)

Jim

#11 ·
Been wanting to make an effort to reduce the number of firearms here so I've done some real convincing to not purchase even #1's. Have seen 'em but nothing in a chambering/price combination to get me to bite. Passed up a .30-30 recently, one of the Lipsey's run models that was ANIB. My usual haunt has a 1A in .300WM and a 1H in .375 I'm passing on. Passed on a couple others they had recently too. Will power, will power. :)

#13 ·
Just to be a bit anal, It is not called a "Model #1" It is a #1. Ruger doesn't even call it a Model #1. Just simply #1. Each version does have a 4 or 5 digit model # but the name of the gun is a #1 and they are simply awesome pieces of machinery! I hated to sell my 375H&H but as I have posted elsewhere, I don't enjoy recoil like I did when I was young and dumb. But, I did get my hands on a real honey of a #1 about 2 years ago. I wanted an International in a .243. They still make the RSI but had quit the .243 caliber in the RSI 4 or 5 years ago. To my shock I found a gun dealer in Michigan who still had one new in the box. Gunbroker deal was done and it is a jewel, my jewel in the safe. It's a real beauty that shoots MOA with a wide variety of ammo. It is almost too pretty to carry to the woods but I'd like to take a deer with it anyway. It loves the 100 gr Nosler Partitions and so do I.
The full length wood is so unusual and classy looking, not to mention the simple but indestructable action of the #1. Every Ruger fan should take a close look at the #1's. They truly are special.

#14 ·
Don, if you want to protect your stock, buy some stick on camo tape and stick it onto your (cleaned) stock. When you return from the hunt, peel it off and stick it to a smooth, clean surface like the side of a locker that has been cleaned thoroughly. The tape will be able to be reused several times if it only comes in contact with clean surfaces.

#16 · (Edited)
At this point in my life,

Id take a #1 in just about any chambering I could find.

My favorite would be .416 Rigby Tropical though.

But, I might need to take out a loan for that one.;):)

Jim
The rifle is no dearer than the other chamberings, but you might need a small loan for the ammo!

I have some Premium ammo (can't remember the brand) and it has price tags on it for $AU187 for 20 and the ammo is at least ten years old!

#18 ·
I have seen 416 Rigby for around $100 for 20 rounds.:eek::eek::eek:Jim
That is way cheap. $10 a shot is about the norm for premium stuff. I think when I wear my 60x brass out, I will sell the rifle, unless I can pick up a deal on brass or ammo in the meantime.

By the way, my 338WM Premium ammo is loaded with Aussie Woodleigh Bullets, travelled all the way over there and then all the way back.

#19 ·
The Sept 2013 issue of Shooting Times has a real nice and informative article on the #1. It's written by a guy who has owned many #1's and been very successful with them in the field over the years.

Bill Ruger requested his team to develop this fine weapon and it was done and released around 1966. Originally called the Victorian during R&D, it was officially named #1 upon release. Lettering and numbers after #1 designated various features and chamberings.

#22 ·
I'm still drooling over this thread. Most kids my age are attaching rails to AR's...but if I could afford a No.1 in a big bore monster...I'd be in heaven!! I'm thinking 460Wby would be a good one, hahaha.

416 Rigby looks really noice!

Really...I'd take one in any caliber, but the beauty of a No.1 is how burly it is. It can take a WHOMPIN!

#24 ·
The Tropical Rifle for 2013 was the 375H&H and in 2014, the Tropical will only be available in 450/400Nitro Express. There has been a Troppo in 375H&H at the local gunshop for a few months. I figured that they won't be chambered in that for awhile, so I lashed out and bought it.

I now have No1s in a 1B 338WM, a Medium Sporter 338WM and Tropicals in 375H&H and 416Rigby.

I have ended up with two 338s, so I will figure out which is the most accurate one and rebarrel the second place getter to 270Win. 3006 would probably be more practical for cast boolit shooting, which I enjoy.

The 375 H&H will be a good cast boolit hunter with cast level loads as well.

#25 ·
I have a No. 1 Varmint in .220 swift. Beautiful weapon, but its not cheap to shoot, and the only indoor range nearby only allows rimfire.The local outdoor range is good for longer range shooting, which is what i use it for. It's been too dang cold out for shooting. Should warm up soon though. Even 40 degrees is good enough!

#26 ·
I have a No. 1 Varmint in .220 swift. Beautiful weapon, but its not cheap to shoot, and the only indoor range nearby only allows rimfire.The local outdoor range is good for longer range shooting, which is what i use it for. It's been too dang cold out for shooting. Should warm up soon though. Even 40 degrees is good enough!
Nice rifle, the Varmint model for 2014 is coming out in 220Swift. I used to own a 1B in 220Swift. Great rifle, scary accurate.

These are pretty cheap to shoot if you reload. You should consider getting a cheap Lee reloading set up. I find the reloading as much fun as the shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.