Modded LCP & Glock 42

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by nickndfl, Sep 26, 2015.

1. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

To the LCP I added a SS guide rod, Wolff guide rod springs (1 ea. of inner & outer) & Hogue grip. Was having FTEs with stock components using new Freedom hollow point & ball reloads. Stock pistol only came with one guide rod spring and it just was not heavy enough to send the slide back with all ammo. The stock guide rod also got dirty quickly.

I used 5 different ammos from Winchester Defender hollow points to bottom of the barrel steel case lead unjacketed Tula made in Russia. Believe it or not the Tula performed best. It's dirty like a cheap whore, but was accurate and knew what to do. Perfecta jacketed ball was the worst. Don't buy it, even my Glock didn't like it. Fiocchi does not work well either.

The LCP gave me a blister. The stock Glock is a very soft shooter, but with the SS guide rod and spring kit in the LCP, it's only slightly more accurate despite its greater size. The new rod and spring kit are a definite upgrade in accuracy for the LCP.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxkSV48HZKU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxkSV48HZKU[/ame]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

What distance are you shooting from? I think you got your money out of that target. Were you trying to run the line from the 8 on down or was that just your result pattern?
    For me it is not my intention of aim but rather my result of a sequence of shooting. If I tried running the line I couldn't do it.
    I am going outside about sundown to shoot my SR40C. I haven't shot it in months so it is past due.

3. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I was at 20 feet and aiming for the center. Notice the black specks on my arm in the video, that's from the ammo. You think I can reuse that target for the rifle range?

4. buster40c

Use your rifle to take out the numbers 8 & 9.
    I shot the SR this evening and I was not impressed with my results. I think I will shoot another 100 tomorrow and see if I can improve some. It amazes me how I can be sighted on the bull but miss it by 4-6". I hate to think where my shots would hit in a moments time to get a shot off.
    People wonder how a cop can miss so many times. Put yourself in an adrenalin pumping situation while on the move and your target on the move possibly shooting back at you and let us see how accurate your shooting is.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  5. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

The new guide rod and spring set in the LCP literally doubled its accuracy. Was not having much success at ten feet prior to replacing those items. Just place the barrel on the center of the target and pull the trigger. The difference was very noticeable not to mention no FTEs with all the ammo except Perfecta. The recoil is better too, but if you shoot it enough you can get a blister despite the Hogue grip which is worth the $12.

6. buster40c

What recoil you are describing I just can't imagine women doing much target practice with the LCP. I watched a woman shooting with it at the range and I thought no thanks. Those little pocket rockets are good for what they were made for but they sure are not a fun shooting gun. LOL Then again I carry an LCR loaded with .357hp magnums. I am hoping I don't have to use it. I seldom even target practice it with the full load 357 ammo.

7. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

The LCP is not my normal range pistol, but I needed a place to try out the mods and make sure everything was correct. It passed.

8. buster40c

That's what you want to know and it is better to find out at the range than in a bad situation. Glad you like the gun.

9. bondo44

bondo44 New Member

How do I start a thread or topic on this site

10. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

What are you using to view the forum? iPhone app? Android App or computer?

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Doing mods for better performance is understandable. But you would expect it to at least function right out of the box.
    Don't guess it matters, you fixed it and improved it all at the same time. Nothing like doing it yourself.

Sounds like me when I was a youngster with my first hot rod car. It started out as a standard overhaul, ended up a fire breathing street/race car.
    That was a long long time ago............

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

You can probably re-use the target however it might require a complete roll of duct tape and a felt pen to mark the center of the target. Just a suggestion.

Tommy

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

I used to faithfully pack a LCP religiously in my pocket in a pocket holster, but after we conducted a HUGE expansion/penetration test in several different cartridges in different test medias I wasn't particularly confident in it definitely stopping the threat. Now I'm a lot more confident in the tiny .380 size Kahr CM-40 in doing what it needs to do but it's NOT fun to shoot! It's the most semiauto firepower you can get in a 380 size pistol.

14. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

The blister on my shooting hand is still not healed.

15. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

How do you like that Kahr. Totally different trigger. Love my MK9. Been carrying it for about 5 years.

Attached Files:

16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

I LOVE the Kahr! Not only does it have a lot better trigger and is very close to being as small, but I'm also a LOT more confident in the .40 doing a better job of stopping somebody quicker with the same shot placement, and the sights are better on the Kahr as well. I should have switched over a long time ago! The Kahr CM 40 is the most firepower you can get in a .380 size package. In fact the Kahr is even more compact than some .380s. I would have gotten the CM 45 but it's a bit bigger and just barely over the size limit that fits easily in my pocket with a pocket holster and comfortable to pack. It's backup in the winter but in the summer wearing shorts and a shirt it's very hard to conceal a larger gun/holster, so in the summer it's the only thing I carry on my person in the way of firearms. Besides an extra mag or 2 I also religiously carry a good knife. There's a lot of instances where because of bystanders, in a crowd, or otherwise lack of backstop a person cannot safely engage the bad guy with a firearm, so the knife fits the requirement of protection when I cannot safely use the Kahr or bigger gun. I trained in different martial arts for about 30 years but am now disabled so I cannot rely on that. I still have quite a bit upper body strength so I'm not totally helpless LOL. I don't think between my physical appearance and my visible situational awareness I don't "look" like a victim so if somebody accosts me they'll either not have their hand empty, or they REALLY enjoy fighting! Honestly I believe situational awareness is 90% of self defense. They'll either go off in search of easier prey, or I can avoid them in the 1st place. In MY opinion the BEST self defense is when you don't have a deadly force situation in the 1st place! And you DON'T win a deadly force justified event, you SURVIVE it!