MkIII 22/45 Lite optics choice

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by Gabulldog, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Gabulldog

Gabulldog New Member

I am new to this forum and want to get some fresh ideas from this group. I have a 22/45 Lite I picked up several months ago but am finding out the hard way older eyes just do not pick up iron sights like they used to. I want to move into either a reflex type sight or small red dot scope. I don't want to break the bank buying one but do realize sometimes the old adage of more you spend the more you get may apply. What type of reflex or red dot sights do you run. I use the gun mainly for plinking, some target shooting and rodent control when needed.
    Thanks for any and all suggestions with pictures of your set up always appreciated.:waving:

2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Love the 22/45's....I run a Tasco red dot scope. The Tasco works great and is excellent for plinking.....

Attached Files:

3. Gabulldog

Gabulldog New Member

Looks good together. This is my first 22/45 Ruger as my previous one, a Mark II bull barrel target model, was stolen. This 22/45 Lite is taking the place of it. I like you love the Rugers. Thanks for sharing.

4. sharpshooterassassin

sharpshooterassassin New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1379643114.182967.jpg

Burris Fastfire 3 Reflex Sight. Kinda a bit spendy but pretty bright in sun light and low light. 3 MOA Dot is easy to pick up and sight on target. Also have a Burris Mounting Plate that mounts in place of the rear sight groove.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

5. Gabulldog

Gabulldog New Member

Sharpshooter: That makes for a really trim looking gun. Is the mounting plate you mention made to fit the dovetail where the adjustable sight was? I had also wondered how the reflex sights worked in bright light as most of my shooting is outdoors during the day with some range time thrown in. You mention somewhat expensive, how much did yours run and is the the Fastfire II or III?

6. sharpshooterassassin

Yes, the mounting plate fits in the rear sight groove. The mounting plate is made by Burris also. The plate runs around $40.00 and the FF 3 runs $250.00 the FF 2 runs $200.00 ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1379683826.478349.jpg

7. sharpshooterassassin

I have the FF 3. It has an auto brightness, High, Low, and if you forget to turn it off, it shuts itself off after 8 hours and the battery compartment is on top where the FF 2 battery compartment is on the bottom. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1379684015.560645.jpg

8. craigsfishing

craigsfishing New Member

I totally relate to the aging eyes. On my MkII, not wanting to spend much either, I put Williams' Fire Sights. Fiber optic replacements for the original iron sights. Not an optic. They are a tremendous improvement. I plan to replace the front sight only on my GP100 with something similar for IDPA. I also love the Trigicon tritium night sights.

9. trainman

trainman Member

This looks like a popular gun to put a red dot sight on. I did an old MKII bull barrrel several years ago. That gun is really accurate. When I lived near some woods, I would go out and take bottles apart one piece at a time. First the neck, then the top of the bottle, then the rest. What fun.
    I will have to take a photo.

10. Gabulldog

Gabulldog New Member

I would love to see pictures of that. I already know the gun is way more accurate than I am but I would like to at least catch up some with it. My son used to put me to shame with my old Mk.II that was stolen. At 25 yards he could have a 5 shot group touching each other. Guess that's why the Army make him their squad sniper!!!

11. trainman

trainman Member

Here's a picture of my gun. It is a MKII target, with a Tasco AccuDot. (cheap) the mounts are interesting, I found them on the internet, and they say So/Low. They mount on the barrel, no drilling. They have been very stable, and the gun is extremely accurate.
    [​IMG]

12. Gabulldog

Gabulldog New Member

Trainman. Those are really unique to all the other methods and mounts. Was it easy to get them leveled, straight and zeroed in easy with the scope?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  13. trainman

trainman Member

Yes, I am no gunsmith, but it was very easy to get it in place, line it up, and once tight, it don't move. I am very surprised. Every time I take the gun out to shoot, it still is right on. In another forum, they were saying that this company may have stopped making them, since Ruger began to have the guns drilled out for conventional mounts. But my gun is not, and they work excellent. I googled their name, So Low, and didn't get anything like what I have. They came in all colors too,.

14. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

I also have the "old eyes" problem, and would have loved to be able to afford the Burris Fast-Fire sight for my Ruger MKII but ... $250,00 was way out of the budget. Got a Millet SP-1, red dot sight for $60.00 from Midway. It has compact 1 inch tube and 3 min. diameter dot, 11 brightness settings. just right for handgun shooting. not too bulky . I have had one on a 38 special for 13 years and it's still in service with no problems. Shooting outdoors in bright sun is not a problem with the 11 settings. It's worth the money.

There are a few company's that make no drill mounts out there. Aimtech is another one ( I used a Aimtech mount on the 38 special). Getting a red dot mounted, without a gunsmith, was the hardest part for me. Look at Midway and Brownell's and see what else is available . Don't give up ...once the dot is mounted you will be shooting like your eyes were new again.
    Gary

15. craigsfishing

craigsfishing New Member

So Low's / Trainman:

Do those mounts stay put when taking the barrel off for cleaning?

16. trainman

trainman Member

Yes, they should stay put, but to tell you the truth, I have never taken the barrel off. Maybe I should, but I haven't.

17. craigsfishing

craigsfishing New Member

18. trainman

trainman Member

I am looking at these pictures again, a notice a couple of you have installed a rail mount for your red dot sight. Can you tell me more about it. What brand is it? and how hard was it to mount the rail.
    Thanks.

19. Edwood314

Edwood314 New Member

Using this dovetail mount do you use the front sight with the red dot or do you take the front sight off. Just curious as I would like to buy the ff3 with this mount. Just wondering how it's used is all. I'm used to iron sights on pistols never ventured into red dots. Thanks for any info!

20. ccryder

ccryder New Member Lifetime Supporter

My Mark III's have a rail included and I mount my Sitemark or Trueglow sight to the rail. A word of caution, use some alcohol to clean my he threads on the rail screws and some Blue Loctite other wise they will come loose.

Yes barrel removal is necessary to perform proper cleaning. A few taps with a soft hammer from the rear will slide it forward, it's takes a few taps on the muzzle end to seat it back. Be careful and always use a soft hammer, I prefer a dead low, more blow for the bang. If the barrel is not seated all the way you won't be able to instal the mainspring pin. Hint: try it without the bolt from the top.

Later